• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

E-Tip vs. Accubond?

UP_North

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Ok for you guys that copper is being forced upon. Have you tried the E-Tips?? Do you like or would you rather use something else. I guess more or less Im looking for 180 E-Tip vs. 200 Accubonds in .308

Re: E-Tip vs. Accubond?

I loaded the 150g Etip in a friend's .30-06 for this year's whitetail season. It shot well with IMR4064.

I will tell you what I like about the E-Tip.
-I like the fact that it is guilding metal so behave just like other bullets made by Nosler. Early all copper bullets(regular X, early TBBC) had problems with copper fouling, so Nosler bypassed that step by using guilding metal.
- I like the large hollow point behind the plastic tip (E cavity) to aid in the expansion characterisics of the bullet. In my testing comparing the E-tip to the TSX/MRX in .30-06, the Etip made a bigger hole and was more reliable to expansion at lower velocities (1800-2000fps). This can be to a detriment also if you are needed deep penetration. An expanded bullet can have a wide frontal diameter, therefore more resistance to penetration. The Etip did penetrate well in my test, but the TSX/MRX penetrated farther (smaller frontal diameter). (This difference was not significant to me, the MRX 180g penetrated 12 inches compared to 10.5 inches in dry journals at 100 yards.)
-I had no trouble getting the 150g Etip to group MOA. I tried one powder and worked up a load. My final load shot at 3000 fps with .75 MOA out to 300y. (Factory sporter Savage).

Things to note, they are long for their weight which equates to alot of bearing surface. This fact kept me from getting to max load data. Nosler recommends starting with starting load data and the max loads should be about the middle of the load info. For example, if min load data is 43g and max 47g, start at 43g and max will probably be 45 or 45.5g.

Reviews of terminal performance have been very positive. My friend filled two does this year. The first doe at about 80 yards was DRT with a nice exit. The second was about 200 yards through both shoulders. She made it about 20 yards and piled up. He had a very broad blood trail with the second doe. The second doe was huge for KY and he is really happy with the new bullets. He thinks they kill better than any he has tried before (150/180g NBT, 150g TSX, 180g MRX, 180g TBBC).

I doubt you would go wrong with the 200g AB either.

I know they are long. I have a shit load of the 180 grain E-Tips. Im really low on 200 grain Accubonds.

Here is a pic of 200 grain Accubond beside a 180 E-Tip. Not much difference in length. The fred bullet is the a 200 Accubond recovered this year in the bull in my avatar. 25 yards into its chest and penetrated just in front of the hind quarter. weighs 127.3 grains. I havent loaded the E-Tips as Im waitiing on an order of hBN to coat the jokers

etips.jpg

nosler_1.jpg

accub.jpg

Are you using them in a 308 Win? I was talking to my brother since he is forced to hunt w/ lead free bullet. He has been experimenting with 150gr ETips in his 308. I could give him a call and get some details. General rule on ETips,... mid book Nosler load data is max on ETips.

No if I use them they will be used in 300 WM, 300 Ultra Mag and 30-378..

I used the e-tip this year with a 30-06 on my cow elk. 205 yds cross canyon with light wind (full value). She dropped about 50yds from where she was shot. Very small entry and rather small exit. Broke right shoulder and left rib, scrambled insides. Minimal blood trail. KYreloader is correct, I spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with the Nosler guys and they gave me a couple of loads for the 30-06 that seemed real light. They gave me the same explaination, due to the long bearing surface start low and work up. I ran with the start loads and was pleased with the velocities and accuracy out to 300 so saw no reason to experiment further. Once I get home I can post the load if your interested along with the chrono data I had. Given the price on them I only chronographed ten loads, so you will have to take that with a grain of salt.

I don't know about e-tip or accubond. I shoot Barnes TSX 100 grain in 25-06. It knocks whitetail off their feet. They won't even take a step. I have never recovered a bullet. Unlike lead bullets that mushrum or fragment. Drop the lead and go with Copper it rocks!

I know it is lead free. In my opinion it is Nosler's attempt to copy Barnes. I have never shot E-tips but I have shot over 200 rounds of TSX working up hunting loads. I highly recommend Copper. Hunting buddies can dig their 308 lead bullets out of their deer that ran 100 yards. not with copper... They don't shoot as well as lead but they have alot more knock down. It is all I will ever hunt with. Now practice nay. Too expensive.

Must load with a greater seating depth so the bullet can "JUMP" and must load to max or they will never group... Just my experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovetsx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it is lead free. In my opinion it is Nosler's attempt to copy Barnes. I have never shot E-tips but I have shot over 200 rounds of TSX working up hunting loads. I highly recommend Copper. Hunting buddies can dig their 308 lead bullets out of their deer that ran 100 yards. not with copper... They don't shoot as well as lead but they have alot more knock down. It is all I will ever hunt with. Now practice nay. Too expensive. </div></div>

Sorry Love, but I have a few problems with your post.

First, IMO, if Nosler would have been trying to copy Barnes, they would have used an all copper bullet and cut grooves in the shank. They did neither. California is the reason Nosler came out with the ETip- not because they were losing out to Barnes. I think the Partition/BT/AB keep them busy.

Does your "not with copper" comment mean the deer ran for 100 yards because shot with lead, or that you dont have to pick copper out of your animals? If the first, the TSX is a controlled expansion bullet, so on average it doesnt kill as quickly as some others due to the nature of its composition. Controlled expansion bullets have smaller diameter, longer holes versus a larger diameter, shorter hole of a cup/core bullet. You can overcome some of the controlled nature of the bullet by going lighter/faster. When that happens however, it is likely that the bullet will lose petals. Granted the petals are lost in bigger pieces than lead, but still need to be picked from the deer.

In my experience one of the draws of the TSX is its accuracy. Barnes' themselves describe how they are more accurate in their testing than other hunting bullets, so I tend to disagree with your comment that they dont shoot as well.

A larger cavitation creates greater shock, therefore a cup/core has a greater shock vallue than does a controlled expansion bullet.

I am a Barnes fan, just wanted to try to clear a couple things up.

I have 2 7mm TSX 150m grain bullets fired into elk and moose at 20 yards at 2670- FPS. I cant say they failed because they killed both animals but neither expanded much at all. At 20 yards and 2600 FPS I thought they would have expanded about as much as possible

Unfortunately, I live in california where everything is regulated. I have been forced to use copper bullets for over a decade in condor range (their excuse not mine) and now copper is mandated state wide (proving it had nothing to do with condor). Copper can never compete with lead bullets just like copper and steel shot will never out perform lead shot on waterfowl. Nosler partitions are my favorite bullet and given the choice I use them on every out of state hunt. I have killed over 20 elk and over 100 deer humanely and quickly. My experience with Barnes Tsx In Ca for deer and hogs was clean through shots and tracking with very little blood. The hard copper bullets passed through doing little shock or damage. Years later the TTSX came out which is just a copper hollow point with a polymer tip but it shoots more accurately and expanded well on pigs, deer and cow elk. Now, e-tip and accubond are similar to ttsx but e-tips are best under 300 yards and accubond for longer shots out to 600 yards. I have killed a buck at 520 yards but it struggled and took a second round to finish. Bottom line is use lead when you can and you dont have to worry about expansion or shock.