• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ear muffs

Kevins750

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2018
Lemoore california
I can't seem to wear them when shooting without interference with the riser.
When shooting prone with earmuffs is your head tilted slightly forward so your
Cheek bone and ear aren't on an even plane.

I have searched Google for correct cheek weld without much luck.

I've taken to using an ear plug in my right ear under muffs for when a position might break the seal on my muffs.

Reactions: Hardpan
Never been a problem.

You wanna put your, say, mouth and chin up against the stock and lower your face down pressing against the stock to form a "chipmunk cheek". Cheek resting on stock. This is how you get a good cheek weld and your face will probably sit a bit higher if you do it this way. You wanna repeat it each time, so it helps for some people to tape a dime on there and they can feel that until it becomes natural to assume that spot without it (some walk around with Eisenhower's head on their cheek for a couple days). Head up, facing forward and don't break this cheek weld (whole point of a "weld") between shots.

Ear pro shouldn't be a problem doing it this way.

And you never change YOUR body to fit the rifle, you put the rifle into your shoulder to fit your body and then assume the cheek weld and compact firing platform. When you get in the prone, you lay down facing target and pull the rifle into you such that it forms a straight line with your body. Always seek a natural firing position.

Good luck.

Never been a problem.

You wanna put your, say, mouth and chin up against the stock and lower your face down pressing against the stock to form a "chipmunk cheek". Cheek resting on stock. This is how you get a good cheek weld and your face will probably sit a bit higher if you do it this way.

Facial structure and scope height have a significant influence in whether one can or cannot wear ear muffs when shooting a long gun.

I can barely use them when shooting a shotgun (which lets me have a more erect head position). I've never been able to with rifles in any position other than standing. Part of it is due to my facial structure and neck length, part of it is that for a long time I fell into the "scope has to be as low as absolutely possible" idiocy.

I can't change my body but I am changing how I mount scopes. So we will see.

i double up when shooting precision rifle.

muffs provide most of the protection, but if they get shifted out of place, in-ear plugs act as a back up.

Reactions: Changed
I too double up on ear pro. My surefire plugs seem to work pretty well even if I break the seal on the muffs.

I've never had an issue with mine (Howard Leight Impact Sport). If it continues to be an issue, maybe a slimmer profile ear pro or go with the in ear options.

I wear decibels or just the sponge type for competition. The problem is I hate wearing them unless I am on the line .
And hate putting them in and out so I can hear people talk. My hearing ain't what it used to be.

I wear decibels or just the sponge type for competition. The problem is I hate wearing them unless I am on the line .
And hate putting them in and out so I can hear people talk. My hearing ain't what it used to be.
if you wear foamies under electronic muffs....you can dial up the amplification on the electronic muffs so you can hear normally.

I double up as well. Foam earplugs still protect your ears better than almost anything else. I use electronic muffs over the foam plugs. The electronic muffs will still work and allow you to hear your buddies.

I always double up with foam under my Pro Ears gold.

I use Howard Leight’s as well and they have never been uncomfortable for me in any shooting position, my sunglasses break the seal on the earcup though so I also use in ear plugs and crank up the volume can still hear buddies and hits on steel.

Reactions: Nathan Gravitt
I had this problem constantly with my McMillan A5 - it would always break the seal on my Howard Leights, so I did double ear pro. I just got a KRG Whiskey 3 and the cheek piece doesn't extend back as far on my face, and it's just smaller than the A5 cheek piece. I took it out last week for a few rounds and had zero issues with my Howard Leights breaking seal like I do with the McMillan. Not sure what rifle you're using, but try taking a look at a KRG W3/XRAY and getting behind one if you can. It might fix your problem.

Regardless, you should definitely double ear pro it. I used just ear plugs on a stage at the last match I did, and the ear plug started work loose in the middle of a stage, and I had to readjust it. Sucks, because there were a crap ton of hard stages for a beginner like me, and this was one of the easier ones, but I lost a lot of points due to the ear plugs coming loose. Tinnitus is not your friend. Protect them ears.

I had this problem constantly with my McMillan A5 - it would always break the seal on my Howard Leights, so I did double ear pro. I just got a KRG Whiskey 3 and the cheek piece doesn't extend back as far on my face, and it's just smaller than the A5 cheek piece. I took it out last week for a few rounds and had zero issues with my Howard Leights breaking seal like I do with the McMillan. Not sure what rifle you're using, but try taking a look at a KRG W3/XRAY and getting behind one if you can. It might fix your problem.

Regardless, you should definitely double ear pro it. I used just ear plugs on a stage at the last match I did, and the ear plug started work loose in the middle of a stage, and I had to readjust it. Sucks, because there were a crap ton of hard stages for a beginner like me, and this was one of the easier ones, but I lost a lot of points due to the ear plugs coming loose. Tinnitus is not your friend. Protect them ears.

Similar situation. Though even with foam plugs, if I lost the seal, I'd feel it... er hear it... too much. I recently got a Walkers Razor XV. Took one shot with my 300 PRC with those solo and determined they were not enough. Doubled those up with ear muffs and it worked wonders. I was alone so didn't have the mic on either the Walkers or the muffs to test how the two would work together.