• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ear protection other than little orange foam plugs

Re: Ear protection other than little orange foam plugs

I shoot EP4's and with the valve open I shoot my guns with brakes on them and have no issues whatsoever.

The lady down the road from me does custom plugs. There are $25 and phenominal. I have tried a few different hearing protection solutions and they are the only way to fly. I will ask her what brand forming material she uses and report back to you on them.

Had this same question on another hunting forum I read. One of the most recommended custom plugs were these: http://www.westone.com/hearing-protection-products/custom-fit-hearing-protection-products

I haven't gotten them yet as you have to go to the ear doc and have them fitted, but I intend to give them a whirl. You're looking at about $140 or so, at least that's what it was in my area for the fitting and the plugs.

If you want to save your hearing, double up; foam plugs and muffs. Forget about not being able to hear someone on the range, you want to be able to hear when you leave the range!

If muffs are an option you may want to try the Howard Leight Impact sports or the Sordin MSA pro x. Both are nice but the sordins are in a class by themselves.

Do you have a shotgun range in your area? Usually at the larger trap or sporting clays tournaments there are guys making the custom plugs for less than $50. Might be a little late in the season right now but a few phone calls will answer that question. You might be able to find the magazines online and they will have a schedule of most shoots and club info - Amer. Trapshooting Assoc or the same for sporting clays.

Another option would be motorcycle shows. I got some made from a company called "Big Ears"