• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Easier to covert 224 Val to 6mm AR Turbo or to 6mm Val?

Viking65

Finnish farmer
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
I've got an upper already barreled for a 224 Val, with the appropriate bolt head and a modest amount of brass. Strongly considering moving this over to a 6mm barrel for use on our farm against some of the local predators (.22 is not appropriate or adequate). I'm looking specifically at whether it makes most sense to try and find someone who produces a barrel for necked up 224 Val to 6mm, or changing out the barrel and the bolt head and going to a 6mm AR (or Turbo) based on the 6.5 Grendel; the reason for the latter is that 6.5 G brass is available and doesn't cost a fortune in 2022 terms.

Question is which one to go with. Seems like it would be easier to go 6mm Val, but there's not a lot of info out there from what I've seen (there's quite a bit written on the 6x6.8, but 6.8 SPC brass is also not easily sourced at the present time). I'd appreciate any thoughts that those with experience along these lines would take time to voice. Many thanks.

Well, you'll be getting a custom barrel and handloading either way, but you already have brass, mags, and a bolt for Valkyrie. Turbo 40 requires a neck down and fireforming, while 6mm Valkyrie only needs a neck up. I'd go 6mm Valkyrie if I was in your position, that said I've got guns that are the ballistic equivalent of what you're talking about and I think you'll be disappointed in the performance jump from .224 to .243. I haven't found it to be that significant.

Stop wasting all my Grendel brass for your little pet calibers.

• Haha
Reactions: 357Max
Precisely; this is, I concur, frustrating. This was a factor in my looking at necking a 224 V up to 6mm, since that brass is still around.

6.5 G brass available on Grafs, I believe it was. It was either there or Midway.

Critters I am referring to are black bear in the 250 - 600-lb. range. Yes, 600-lbs. We're talking head shots, by the way. Someone is going to chime in that a 6mm isn't much different than a 224 given comparable terminal energy; I don't dispute it, and I don't dispute that a head shot with the proper bullet (we use Barnes TSX, exclusively) on any bear at relatively close range from a 224 V won't do the job. Be advised that this rifle is my wife's and she's a person of small stature, and that I shoot something much more potent (from a heavier BA rifle). In the end, the conversion might not be worth the exercise, however I will freely admit that my interest in this conversion is at least partly a factor of my love for 243 Win.

Since you are in search of a little more oomph and already have the bolt/mags, wouldn’t 6.8 warrant more consideration? For sourcing some brass seems factory ammo is available to get a stockpile started, and there’s usually someone selling brass over at 6.8 forums. It’s hard to beat as a hunting caliber for medium sized game in AR15 platform. Disclaimer - I’m partial to it as I’ve been whacking hogs with it for the last 10 years and I’ve accumulated plenty of brass…

Thanks; that's not a cartridge that I had previously considered. I'll do some digging.

6mm hagar or 220 thunderbolt is the answer you seek. You can use your valkerie bolt and magazines. Search padoms threads on 220 thunderbolt on here

6mm hagar or 220 thunderbolt is the answer you seek. You can use your valkerie bolt and magazines. Search padoms threads on 220 thunderbolt on here
What’s the go to powder for these? Ball powders or are they more temp stable?

varget and reloader 15 have been tested with excellent results. I am working up varget loads with 77gr smk.

What has happened here? The Valkyrie uses a 6.8 bolt. Why are people talking about Grendel brass?

What is a 6 Valkyrie? Is this a real thing because a 6x6.8 isn't good enough?