• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing EASILY availble epoxy, for stock texture???

GSRswapandslow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
North Carolina, Hudson (28638)
ok...no one has marine tex or devcon near me...believe me...i've checked exhaustively. is there a common epoxy at Lowes or Home Depot that'd work??? This isn't for bedding or anything, this is JUST for stock texture! I was going to get PC7, but have only seen 1 person actually get it to work...the others all say it's far too thick to work with.

Re: EASILY availble epoxy, for stock texture???

I use Brownell's Acra Glas Gel. Sponge it on with a piece of the rigid plastic foam they pack computers in. You can stain it to the colors you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Brownell's Acra Glas Gel. Sponge it on with a piece of the rigid plastic foam they pack computers in. You can stain it to the colors you want. </div></div>

If he ordered that he might as well order the Steel-Bed or Devcon which is much better stuff for texture. I think he wants to avoid ordering anything.

In a pinch, I have used J-B Weld from the auto parts house. Just remember to clean and rough up the surface you want to texture before you start. I usually tape everything up into what ever shape or general areas I want to work on.

i tried jb weld........it just levels back out, how'd you get it to NOT level?

and yeah, i'm trying to avoid ordering anything...as i'm TRYING to get this stock done by friday. i've scoured the local gun/hunting shops....1 place had the acraglass gel kit before, but when i went today even it was gone

JB-Weld is a poor choice for just the reason you found. It wants to self level.

The only real way you are going to use JB-Weld is to watch it and texture it after it has dried some but not fully set.

I've added alu. oxide blasting media to JB weld to do some small texturing. You could try adding some fine sand. The alu ox made the JB a little thicker as well.
Don't know if this helps in your case. I have not tried it on a stock, just some small non gun parts.

i read you can use baby powder or talc powder to thicken the stuff up some.......but do you put it in when you're mixing the 2 halfs, or mix it in the halfs individually? i'm bound to have some tubes of JB weld downstairs i could experiment with today

no, no boat places carry it within 2-3 hours......i've looked, believe me. i finally found it at the marina right near our beach house, but i won't be back up there till the end of july.

baby and talc powder will not work. i bought some small 1oz tubes of devcon. its just like JB Weld in that form, i could not get it to hold a peak. colliodial silica will stiffen and any powdered metal, AL/OX powdered fine will or should work. i tried the PC7 and it was way too dry. got my money back. i did find the marine tex, but it was such a small amount, i was worried about having enough. make sure you use the grey. its either that or getting a pound which is more than i need. hard to find just what you need. after all of my searching and trying, i will just send it to someone to do, or buy the 1 lb of devcon and the excess will just go to waste

when you mix the JB or whatever, just add in small amounts of powder. i found that it dried and did not stiffen as the peaks still fell. try a paint store and look for "micro balloons" as an additive. i could only get 1 pound of the colloidial sillica. it will add to the mix, stiffen and give peaks, but not thicken or absorb the mix

so it appears the best thing to do is just order some marine tex, wait to get it when i go back to the beach at the end of next month, or just give up lol.... the only other thought i had was to use the heavily textured "stone" paint from walmart....some folks had "tested" it out...and it actually felt like a REALLY good texture for grip...but i'm really worried that it'd just NOT last at all.

so, i stripped, sanded, repainted my stock...again...(3rd paint job now) and i'm just gonna shoot as is for this match this weekend....and i'll just have to wait on the texture.

but thanks for the help...it seems that the standards, marine tex, is still the tried and true way to do it....so i might as well be patient and do it right.

so, last question....the 2oz, 2 part stuff......of marine tex, is that the stuff to use? it says quick set on it....

the gray marine tex in the small box is what everyone seems to be using. its not 1:1 like JB Weld, i was thinking i would just mix up the whole batch. look up HateCA here on the hide, and there are a few others as well, that will do the texturing for you and it wont cost much more than the marine tex. i like doing it myself, but some stuff after its all said and done is just easier done by someone else with the right stuff for the job

The epoxy that I use is actually a 3M seam sealer available at any good autobody supply store. I don't have the part number here but its their heavy bodied seam sealer that is a two part. It usually only comes in a tube that requires a special gun but you can push it out and mix it on cardboard in a pinch. Apply to stock and pat with a stir stick until you get the texture you want. Practice first on some scrap until you get the hang of it. I also tape off a section of stock so you have a nice pattern.

Grainger carries Devcon and I am sure you have one around. If you just can't wait how about bed liner? Works great on FAL stocks and handguards.

hmm....it says there's actually one about 30min from me. and i have to go to hickory tomorrow to drop off the action/barrel with the smith anyways.

so what devcon am i looking for?

10101011010101010111000101010 or something like that. they even have it with titanium now.

really, its 101100 or something like that