• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Easy online dope - Now with Metric and mRads

Re: Easy online dope

It was pretty close to other apps I use. However, I couldn't get the checkbox to work that would enable using custom atmospheric settings.

Outstanding! Who made this ? I wanted to send them an email thanking them for the work.

This looks pretty much dead nuts on with the data I have for my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I couldn't get the checkbox to work that would enable using custom atmospheric settings. </div></div>

+1

Not bad for a simple/quick/beginner ballistics calculator. You can't enter you exact enviromental conditions (which can change/effect your trajectory), get lead on moving targets, or output it in mils.

I made it as a proof of concept for the ballistic engine I wrote earlier. The atmospheric conditions have been added, and work now.

Thanks for the regards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding! Who made this ? I wanted to send them an email thanking them for the work.

This looks pretty much dead nuts on with the data I have for my rifle. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd recommend that a beginner learn to use JBM Ballistics, which is a lot more versatile, of proven accuracy, and has a bullet library with Bryan Litz G7 BCs.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.0.cgi
</div></div>

JBM ballistics library is an excellent tool. I personally find it cumbersome to use, but it is plenty accurate and does have several advanced features which are nice at times.

Personally I prefer to solve the ballistics, export it to excel, and format a custom range card from the data. That's why I made the DOP3 page, so I can do that from anywhere with minimal computing requirements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great site.
Hope they will make it In metric and mil soon. </div></div>

+1 for mils
CW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope they will make it In metric and mil soon.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you planning to have a metric and mil option?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for mils</div></div>

Ahh - and now, the inevitable tension between simplicity and utility arises yet again to bite the programmer in the ass.
laugh.gif

And that's why I'm pleased to no longer write software for a living, and why I pity those who do, or do so recreationally.

I'm going to do my morning bicycle ride now, after which I will drink a beer with lunch and take a nap.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maple One</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I couldn't get the checkbox to work that would enable using custom atmospheric settings. </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

Fixed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great site.
Hope they will make it In metric and mil soon. </div></div>

+1 for mils
CW </div></div>

I'm debugging the metric version, its in Meters for range, cm for wind drift and path flight, mils for elevation and windage, and Joules for energy. It will be online next week.

Currently there are no plans for mixing and matching units (yards & mils, etc). If you need that just dump it into excel and make a new column, do the simple conversions to make a range card. All the hard math will be done already.

The main purpose of this is to be easy to use, and easy to get the data out of. See the links to export as "comma separated values" (CSV), or as Excel documents.

Thanks for all the feedback

I tried it out again after you fixed the atmospheric input. It's pretty close to JBM now for my loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried it out again after you fixed the atmospheric input. It's pretty close to JBM now for my loads. </div></div>

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you have gotten good results. It's nice to get some confirmation that the solutions are correct in the real-world. I checked the output against all my range notes and found it to be within a 0.25 MOA click out as far as I've shot, and I checked against published tables for farther values.

A lot of people don't understand that there's really no magic in ballistics solutions, most programs solve the same 100-year-old differential equations, including this one I posted. JBM or Sierra's programs are not any more or less "accurate", there are just small discrepancies in the assumptions made for solving approximations. Sometimes the assumptions about weather can have create small discrepancies in the data, but generally out to about 600 yards they are very minor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ahh - and now, the inevitable tension between simplicity and utility arises yet again to bite the programmer in the ass.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

Yeah, this is one of those issues that come up in every app I've ever written. There are a lot of great features which can be added with a lot of work... multiple BC's, bullet libraries, night-vision compatible color schemes, load memories, user accounts with saved loads, load comparisons, etc.

So many, it's endless work to pursue them all. I figure for those advanced features the user should be able to operate a spreadsheet and copy the data any way they want (hence the data export focus), or purchase a commercially supported package that implements them. It's a bit prohibitive both in terms of time and money to do that as a freeware website.

My goal is to have a high level of usefulness at solving the equations as accurately and as quickly as possible, with easy utilities for exporting the data to any common analysis tool for plotting, comparisons, etc.

it was working the first time i tried it a couple of weeks ago but it will not "solve" now. anyone else having problems? solution? thanks.

chuck

There are probably a few developers here on the Hide who'd be glad to pitch in on a module or conduct some testing. What's it written in?

I just tried it as well, but no matter what I did, when I hit solve there was no data generated.

Hey guys, sorry for all the down time. I got booted off my old hosting provider for using too much of their resources with the scripts and just now got it set back up on the new one.

Apologize for the delays, enjoy the DOPE and let me know if you find anything's not working properly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are probably a few developers here on the Hide who'd be glad to pitch in on a module or conduct some testing. What's it written in? </div></div>

It was previously written in C, but now has been ported to PHP to be more portable on the new server. It takes a small performance hit but it's not as bad as I had feared.

It's pretty flexible and a metric version shouldn't be too far out.

D

It would be great if you could plug in grains and fps and get the drop in mrad.
Are you taking requests?
smile.gif

Agreed, some type of hybrid model would be good for American users that prefer to use mRads for their scopes.

But on the other hand, if you're going to go half metric you may as well go all the way.

I'll see what I can do - but then do you use meters or yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed, some type of hybrid model would be good for American users that prefer to use mRads for their scopes.

But on the other hand, if you're going to go half metric you may as well go all the way.

I'll see what I can do - but then do you use meters or yards?</div></div>

As mentioned many times on the site, mils are not metric. I use FPS and yards and use mils on my scopes. Mils are angular measurement and metric cm/meters are linear. Not the same.

Interesting program. Would be nice if it came without the inches in there for drop and wind. Those are useless to anyone using a scope. MOA or Mils. Also if it had movers it would be nice.

Inches are useful for estimating holdovers or holdoffs when you don't have a rangefinding reticle. Try holding 3 moa off a target with a Plex reticle.

They're excluded on the Range Cards though.

Dareposte- I was using the English version. I, however, use IPHY adjustments and an IPHY calibrated reticle. But, when I converted MOA to IPHY it was very close to my field data for Hornady 110 TAP rounds and the 168 TAP!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inches are useful for estimating holdovers or holdoffs when you don't have a rangefinding reticle. Try holding 3 moa off a target with a Plex reticle.
</div></div>

That's why I use a mil reticle.
wink.gif

If you know the range and how to use mils or MOA then you can use them for hold offs no matter the reticle. 800 yards and 3 MOA would be an approx 24" hold off. It will be an estimation with a duplex reticle no matter if it's in inches or MOA anyways. That is why it's better to use an MOA or Mil based reticle. I really don't know anyone shooting long range that uses a duplex reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inches are useful for estimating holdovers or holdoffs when you don't have a rangefinding reticle. Try holding 3 moa off a target with a Plex reticle.
</div></div>

That's why I use a mil reticle.
wink.gif

If you know the range and how to use mils or MOA then you can use them for hold offs no matter the reticle. 800 yards and 3 MOA would be an approx 24" hold off. It will be an estimation with a duplex reticle no matter if it's in inches or MOA anyways. That is why it's better to use an MOA or Mil based reticle. I really don't know anyone shooting long range that uses a duplex reticle. </div></div>

I personally agree with you and have MIL or MOA reticles on all my scopes these days. But there is still use to having the inches or cm columns to many shooters. You'll see on the printable range cards I omitted this information as it's generally not that useful to most people who know how to use a range card. But for everbody else, the data is useful and I don't see a good reason to remove it.

The main goal of this program originally started as being an EASY way to get ballistic solutions into Excel so I could make whatever range card I wanted. It's grown a bit since then, but I encourage you to make use of the data export features if you want a special formatting or other data in it to suit your individual needs.

Just click the "Export to CSV" link after you get the data you want, and it will open in Excel or OpenOffice spreadsheet and you can modify it to your heart's content.

Dude, you are on it! I just checked out the IPHY version and that is right on with my actual setting w/ environmental and all out to a confirmed 698 yards.

Thanks again,

this program does not account for spindrift, neither does jbm. The flight times seem reasonable. It might be ok inside 600y , but this data would be off at longer ranges. ( or round with poor ballisitics)