• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Easy way to mount bubble level?

Sig33

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2012
Southern Cal
Hey guys, just bought the Accuracy 1st anti-cant level. What's the easiest way to mount this piece of equipment? Probably doesn't make much sense to have a level if it is not actually level...

Thanks,

Sig

Re: Easy way to mount bubble level?

Heres the method Ive always used and it works great.

I dont care so much if the scope is level with the gun. Level with the gun is open to too many variations. My concern is that the reticle is level and plumb with the world around it.

I get the gun level but I dont spend to much time on it....just throw a quick bubble level across the rail. Then after setting the scope in the rings I line the vertical reticle line up with a piece of kite string I have hanging around 30 feet away with a weight on the end.

Since I know for a fact the string is plumb with the world, I know my reticle is as well. Then I adjust my bubble level to be perfectly level, all the while making sure to my reticle stays in line with the plumb string.

Once theyre both perfect, I know that as long as my bubble level is level, so is my reticle.

All this is for naught if you dont confirm it at the range on a nice big white sheet of paper.

Lofty, how do you confirm it at the range on the paper? Do you hang another plum line?

Thanks for the help.

I used the Wheeler Engineering Professional Reticle Leveling System to install the scope first. After doing that, I installed the Holland level.

I took my first build to the range yesterday to zero it. I brought a 24" level & drew on a piece of white paper a perpendicular cross on it. I checked the reticle against the cross & it was aligned correctly. The Holland level appeared to be installed properly. Big relief.

I was lucky that all the pieces appeared to be installed properly.

Range confirmation can be acheived by shooting a group @ 100, dial for 600, shoot another group then compare. Find the mean point of impact and run a plumb line from the top group.

I use a sheet of drywall.....obviously that is hard to do at a proper range.....so a tall roll df white paper, or an unfolded cardboard box.

Use a straight edge to draw a think black line right up the middle and use a plumb or a big carpenters level to make sure you've set your target straight up and down.

Then I use little half inch circle stickers from office depot and place them up the line to create marks for 1,2,3,4,5 mils all the way up as far as my target size will allow.

Now at shoot your target aiming at the very bottom dot with your reticle aligned with the line on the target, your bubble level should be right on as well....remember, your level is level with the world if you set everything up right.

Now adjust your scopes elevation to coincide with the same mil holds you put on your target but every time you shoot, your still aiming at the bottom target....obviously making sure that before you squeeze the trigger your reticle is perfectly aligned with the line on the target.

Then when your done, go check your target.

The results will not only tell you if your scope is level but does your scopes erector system track true with the reticle. It will also tell you if you put 10.8 mils in your elevation turret, do you get 10.8 mils of elevation......or do you get 11.5.

It's a great way to reveal flaws in your scopes mechanical system that could drive you mad trying to track down in the field at longer ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a sheet of drywall.....obviously that is hard to do at a proper range.....so a tall roll df white paper, or an unfolded cardboard box.

Use a straight edge to draw a think black line right up the middle and use a plumb or a big carpenters level to make sure you've set your target straight up and down.

Then I use little half inch circle stickers from office depot and place them up the line to create marks for 1,2,3,4,5 mils all the way up as far as my target size will allow.

Now at shoot your target aiming at the very bottom dot with your reticle aligned with the line on the target, your bubble level should be right on as well....remember, your level is level with the world if you set everything up right.

Now adjust your scopes elevation to coincide with the same mil holds you put on your target but every time you shoot, your still aiming at the bottom target....obviously making sure that before you squeeze the trigger your reticle is perfectly aligned with the line on the target.

Then when your done, go check your target.

The results will not only tell you if your scope is level but does your scopes erector system track true with the reticle. It will also tell you if you put 10.8 mils in your elevation turret, do you get 10.8 mils of elevation......or do you get 11.5.

It's a great way to reveal flaws in your scopes mechanical system that could drive you mad trying to track down in the field at longer ranges. </div></div>

Great post!

In short - Level the rifle, lock it down. Level your scope to the level rifle (feeler gauges between the Pic. rail and turret assy.) Level your cant level to a level gun/scope combo.

Verify with a plumb line or take it a step further and use Loft's method to verify everything at once.

Cruise over to the shop and we can level the rifle in a vise and get it all dialed.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Lofty, that is a bulletproof method to make sure everything is true.

Socal, is that you Shawn?

I use my IOTA to focus the reticle on a plumb line, I use a thread as my plumb line.

That way I know the reticle is right on.