• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock Intex vs Endo

Doyputasos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Southern California
Anyone with some hands on experience with both of these frames, especially in the GS2? I will be using it as a range bag and will probably take it hiking with significant weight and rifle once or twice a year. I have a chance to get a new GS2 from a guy at about $100 discount but it has the Endo frame. I'm not sure it is worth it. Any advice? If it matters, I am a bigger guy on the upper end of the 200s and 6'5" but I have a short torso and have done the measurements, so don't worry about the pack not fitting me please :)

I have the GSII and the Endo frame. I'd have to say that the Endo frame was a good idea, but it was brought to market without much thought on Eberlestock's end. The frame basically just sits in the main compartment - there is nothing that holds it in place. It seems to work pretty well if you put it in place and then stuff the compartment full of stuff, thus keeping the Endo pressed against the front of the compartment. Good idea in theory, but what about those times where you want the benifit of the frame but don't wish to have the main compartment stuffed to the max?

I lashed my Endo inside using some paracord and the molle loops on the interior........ it works just OK. Yes, it does add a margin of stability to the main compartment, but it is not going to give you the feel of an Eberlestock that has a frame sheet and the adjustable alluminum stays that some of the other packs have (operator). Since I already have it, I'll probably hang onto it, but having the option today, I'd get the new model with the intex II frame and never look back. Supposedly with that frame you can use it when needed for heavier loads, but when you wish, you can remove it and run without. Yes, you can do the same with the Endo, but with it in, you really don't get the feeling you have a frame in there.

The Endo was cheap enough to try out, but it's not what it's cracked up to be. If saving some coin is a priority and you are handy with sewing, you might be able to sew in some corner pocket tabs or Velcro tabs to hold the endo in place and get it to work for you.

Ceylon from Deltaoutdoorsman.com is right now doing some evaluation on the GSII and Operator with the Intex II frame. Hopefully we'll be hearing his thoughts and see pictures soon. I'd give him a call before you make your decision. He will give you his honest opinion and feedback he's gotten from his customers.

Here's the thread - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...stock-gunslinger-ii-feature-mods-factory.html

Based on customer feedback & some personal use, the ENDO frame helps with structural & lateral stability with heavier loads but isn't a "game changer" in that regard. The previous version of the Gunslinger II used a plastic framesheet for structure, and some owners complained that the pack was unstable when hauling large, heavy loads. The ENDO was designed to lay inside the pack & be held in place by edge contact (with the pack's Cordura) and the gear inside the pack. While it does help in giving some edge to edge structure, it can't provide complete stability because of it's location (inside the main compartment with the gear). It doesn't help with centering the loads over, and closer to, the hips, which is the best solution to making the pack more comfortable with heavy loads.

The newest version of the Gunslinger II now uses the Intex II frame, which is located at the edges of the pack closest to the back padded area. It is designed to help with lateral stability AND keep as much of the load (as possible) centered over the hips. It isn't perfect, but it greatly helps in limiting the lateral sway that some experience when trekking heavy loads over uneven terrain. At issue is the weapon scabbard's size & location, which makes it both a design feature AND a design flaw. It is a cavity that, inherently, causes the load to lose it's center over the hips, yet it allows the user to comfortably haul their chosen weapon "hands free" over rough terrain AND have it still be accessible for quick deployment. There is a trade off here, do you want a pack that can haul your weapon protected and allow your hands to be free, or do you want a mountaineering-designed pack that uses a design focused on centering your load over your hips (at the expense of having to carry your gun either in your hands, or tethered to the side where it is exposed to the elements, obstacles, etc)? No right or wrong answer here, it all comes down to user preference & applications to be filled.

It sounds like you'd be getting a smokin' price for the previous version of the Gunslinger II (without Intex II frame), so that may be your best option if you're looking for a good deal and a pack that does a lot of things well. However, you're not going to get the same stability with heavier loads as you will with the updated model that uses the Intex II frame. A LOT of guys here could care less their Gunslinger II comes with an Intex II frame or not, as they don't forsee the need to pack heavy loads over wide areas. With weight up to 50 pounds (give or take, depending on what is being hauled), the old pack with ENDO will be fine. If you're looking for a pack to pull trekking duty with large loads several times a year, I think you'd be wise to go with the new model with Intex II frame. I think you'll feel a difference between the two...

Hope this helps & best of luck with your decision.
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

EDIT TO ADD--the post above was submitted while I was typing out this response. I have the new Gunslinger II with Intex II frame at my photographer's studio now. He will be getting close up, hi-res pics of the new pack that will hopefully answer some questions regarding the new design. The thread link referenced in the post above should be updated with a complete review & pics by the end of next week (he should be done taking the pics by Tuesday the 27th, and I'll need a day or so to put my thoughts together)...

Last edited:
I have the new GS2 with Intex frame. It seems like a sturdy system. I'm 6'2", with a long torso and I find the pack a little small (short) even when adjusted to the max.

Very well made, top quality materials. Comfortable with a bunch of gear and my 17lb AI.

i got the endo frame for my gs2 ... and i don't use it. sorry, but the frame is pretty much useless. it's just lying inside. for it to give you stability, it needs to be properly connected to the pack (which is isn't). So, as some people noticed, you can use cord to tie it inside the pack ... but again, that's a subideal solution.

go for the intex.

We, as in guys, always try to push the limits past the intended use of a system, bigger, better, faster. Overloading the GS II is pushing it past it's original purpose, a medium weight, 2-3 day pack (at most) with the ability to carry your weapon system.

Ya don't haul 15 tons of rock in a mini truck...

I ordered my pack. It is an endo :\ I was very close to forking out the extra for the intex from Ceylon, but I put a lowball bid on the endo on eBay and I will have it to my door for $190 next Thursday. Hey, if the SEALS have been using these packs before the intex then it will probably be okay for me. Definitely going to buy some extras from DeltaOutdoorsman.com

Eberlestock Intex vs Endo

So, my pack came in and I'm not sure I am keeping it. The pack had a strong odor that smelled chemical-like and maybe even a little cologne-y. Im pretty sure this is not normal, however I want to be sure before I go and try o return this pack to a guy who says "no returns". I can't be smelling like that when I take the pack hunting. I'm wishing I had just bit the bullet and gone with the helpful, well-loved Ceylon. If I get this returned, that's just what I'll do. So, can someone please confirm that there is no strong odor present when the Eberlestock packs are new? Thanks.

Last edited:
My GSII - new from Ceylon didn't have any odd odor - other than maybe a "new" smell. Since you have it and the seller stated no returns, try hand washing it with just water and maybe a mild detergent, then air dry it. You could also order up some Hunter's Specialties® 9-Pack Earth Scent Wafers : Cabela's . Throw the pack in a plastic tote along with these wafers and the scent will be gone. I keep my deer hunting gear in a tote with a couple of these and everything sure as shit smells just like plain ole dirt when I take it out in the fall.

Last edited: