• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ebola virus patients are being transported from west Africa to Atlanta

Airborne rabies...now that would be something like a zombie apocalypse come true! Living out in the country I've come across rabid animals a few times and have always been thankful it is not as difficult to transmit as something like the flu.

Isn't AIDS an Airborne disease? Or is it AirMobile?

Semper Fi!

New York patient now being tested for Ebola that had been in west Africa. Stay the fuck in Africa or don't go!

Gadzukes and forsooth; a foresworn utterance of the 'B' word!

Must I stand offended and eject the abominable politics flag?

(Just kidding...)

4Faq27a.jpg

Blame the dog. It's tradition.

Calm down. All good things come from Africa. Like AIDS and ebola. And many other things, if I could think of them at the moment.

I live within 1 hours drive of the CDC. My home terminal with Norfolk Southern is within 20 min. drive of the CDC. I don't like it all. Why not treat and care for them where they contracted it. For those of you that are not familiar with the normal commutes in Atlanta, it's unbelievable. It's common to talk with people that drive from Dalton (near Tenn.), Augusta (on the S. Carolina line), Macon (middle GA) and even Alabama to Atlanta for work. If it gets out it will be all over the southeast in a matter of days. Not to mention Atlanta Hartsfield Airport is 30 mins. drive from the CDC.

On the bright side, maybe Atl will get an 'Operation Clean Sweep'. :D

I have been saying for years that the best thing that could happen to Atlanta is if Gen Sherman brings his old crusty ass back through and burn it to the ground again

"As far as leaving Americans behind or calling them 'do-gooders' and worthless as a result - yeah, right. You'd be saying 'Murica! if they were Army medics or such. I'm glad they're being brought back, I hope their care and quarantine isn't messed up."

How do you feel about the release of Bergdahl? Cause i feel like the same folks who ok'd that should be shot in the dick too. Bet its probably some of the same folks.

You guys who are afraid of ebola make me wonder.....I had no Idea so many hide members were exchanging body fluids with Africans. You all are more open minded than I thought.

your motto should be, No man left behind.....unless he scares us or we hate him.

Phone - RINNGGGG! RINNNNGGGG!

POS - Hello His Excellency

GWB - Hey Barry I forgot to mention. Look in the lower left drawer of the desk. In the way back you will find a bottle of pills. Its the Ebola serum. Figured you may want to use the drug we developed rather than have to go down and perform a laying of the hands on cure. I know your busy fund raising.

POS - Thanks. You know Ill blame you for hiding this and claim that you invented Ebola.

GWB - Thats okay, no problem, I still dont suck as bad as that guy running Congress.

Phone - click!
PS GWB - BTW if your looking for the economy, I left it in the toilet for you. No worries its your fault.

fucking ebola in NY now. so it begins...

I saw them raggin' this on GMA this AM.

Give the media a bone, they sink in their teeth and run with it, don't they?

Just in time to drive another buncha inconvenient realities off the airwaves...

Greg

You guys who are afraid of ebola make me wonder.....I had no Idea so many hide members were exchanging body fluids with Africans. You all are more open minded than I thought.

your motto should be, No man left behind.....unless he scares us or we hate him.

another naive liberal...

PS GWB - BTW if your looking for the economy, I left it in the toilet for you. No worries its your fault.

BHO - Thanks George, already found it. Instead of pulling it out of the can, polishing it up, and making it healthy, I sat down, took a shit and hit the flush handle.

Just in time to drive another buncha inconvenient realities off the airwaves...

Greg

Exactly. What crimes are being committed while everyone does the "Look over here, dancing bear!"

Problem with this distraction is its at odds with his crown jewel - Amnesty.

He would have better camouflage should another MH flight go sour. Ebola kind of shows why blanket amnesty and unsecure borders are an issue.

For those doubting Thompson's: How many times do you touch something someone else has touched in the last few minutes? Wal Mart, the bank. Any store you put a pin in for your card or pick up the pen to sign your receipt, whether digital or paper. Much flu and stomach virus is transmitted by "bodily fluids". Think a guy with a cold and ebola couldn't spew some drops of jungle fever your way? Touch the door or desk at any office building where the public comes in lately? Everytime you have to go to the DMV, sheriffs dept for taxes/vehicle registration/bank, etc. Have to shake hands with anyone as part of your normal business protocol? People get sick from others not washing their hands in all sorts of nasty ways, even when just passing ecoli, which also is not transmitted in aerosol normally. Keep these infected/exposed folks away from the US long enough for the danger to be over before bringing them back. I am sure we have enough secure "secret lab" locations or can make one damn quick if experiment is the goal. If it gets/is here we could be in a world of excrement. Our governments failure to take basic security measures to protect us is criminal in my opinion. If you read this and are going over seas to "help humanity", please plan for a contingency where if you get sick, you ensure you don't make our country third world by bringing it back.

For those doubting Thompson's: How many times do you touch something someone else has touched in the last few minutes? Wal Mart, the bank. Any store you put a pin in for your card or pick up the pen to sign your receipt, whether digital or paper. Much flu and stomach virus is transmitted by "bodily fluids". Think a guy with a cold and ebola couldn't spew some drops of jungle fever your way? Touch the door or desk at any office building where the public comes in lately? Everytime you have to go to the DMV, sheriffs dept for taxes/vehicle registration/bank, etc. Have to shake hands with anyone as part of your normal business protocol? People get sick from others not washing their hands in all sorts of nasty ways, even when just passing ecoli, which also is not transmitted in aerosol normally. Keep these infected/exposed folks away from the US long enough for the danger to be over before bringing them back. I am sure we have enough secure "secret lab" locations or can make one damn quick if experiment is the goal. If it gets/is here we could be in a world of excrement. Our governments failure to take basic security measures to protect us is criminal in my opinion. If you read this and are going over seas to "help humanity", please plan for a contingency where if you get sick, you ensure you don't make our country third world by bringing it back.

Local news station did a test a few years ago where they swabbed the handle of a shopping cart and the area that you seat your kid in as well as areas where you put your food. I remember vividly that semen was one of the contaminants detected.

Of course had they not found the semen and it just be coated with DNA, Rhino virus and maybe a flu germ than it wouldnt have made the news.

Well, thanks to the internet, I finally have the formula for beating the virus level in Plague on hard difficulty. Using this computer simulation (a.k.a. phone game) as incontrovertible evidence, I have proven that we have a 90+% chance of wiping out the entire world via ebola bio aerosol.

C'mon guys, its the gub'mint. what could go wrong? Besides we have Obamacare......just in case.

"As far as leaving Americans behind or calling them 'do-gooders' and worthless as a result - yeah, right. You'd be saying 'Murica! if they were Army medics or such. I'm glad they're being brought back, I hope their care and quarantine isn't messed up."

How do you feel about the release of Bergdahl? Cause i feel like the same folks who ok'd that should be shot in the dick too. Bet its probably some of the same folks.

I feel he should have been brought back and if necessary face charges for his conduct and consequences thereof.

Your point is the 'how'. On that I don't know. I don't feel we've heard the full story of the exchange.

Shoot buddy, pussys the same no matter the skin color. Id run through Kelly Rowland or Rihanna just as soon as Id run through Eva Longoria just as soon as Id run through Jennifer Lawrence. And Im from the south where everyones supposed to be racist, according to you California bohemian types at least.

That's a bit misleading, here's the complete context:

"They haven't been able to fully protect themselves, doctors and nurses are dying. They're wearing full protection biohazard suits, but the Ebola wards are just horrifying, 30 Ebola patients with one doctor and one nurse, both in space suits. Conditions are awful in those wards, we need more doctors and nurses - not even a space suit can totally protect you if the ward is really a mess."

Last edited:
Someone had a press conference yesterday and when questioned regarding giving the wonder drug to Africa the gist of his response was that the drug is untested and this can be contained by the medical community.

I was struck by the total lack of understanding of what "the medical community" is in a place like Liberia.

I took a hurt American embassy worker to a "clinic" in Liberia. He fell of a lifeguard tower horsing around at the Embassy pool and ended up with a rung bell and an elbow that was bending in ways it shouldnt. I never should have started the horseplay by saying "Its all fun and games until somebody gets hurt". Cant remember why we didnt use our doc but it was at a time when people were being shipped out of the country in mass. The most vivid part of the ride was passing through a Liberian Army checkpoint with the drunk, woodland clad soldier, looking mighty elite with a standard 6 inch kitchen steak knife held in the webbing of his H harness. He was trying to shake us down before entering the clinic area.

The clinic was a cinder block structure with two rooms, an examining table, no windows. The most hospital thing about it was the scrubs blue/green color of the walls. It had a concrete floor and chickens in the yard. The young Belgian doctor from MSF did what he could or my friend but he was stuffed into a plane asap with the other evacuees and gone within 5 hours of ruining a good party. I think the Peace Corps chicks were willing to say goodbye and they had shaved prior to returning to the world, such a shame.

#2 stated yesterday that "the country" of Africa is poised to join the first world. I dont know how much things have improved but in my time over there a police chief was killed during recruit graduation because during a bullet proofing ceremony a recruit shot him dead. Seems that the boot was impressed that when the chief lived through being shot by the blank in the witch doctors gun he wanted to do same with his issue gun. The failure of bullet proofing was explained as the chief having an ill timed moment of "disbelief". Another wonderful example of the mindset was a front page on the Monrovia newspaper of the national congressmen that was reported to "have turned into a baboon" while congress was in session and attacked his fellow congress people. I wish our guys would change from simians into humans.

In summation dear leader has way to much faith in the "medical community" of back country locations on the continent.

Shoot buddy, pussys the same no matter the skin color. Id run through Kelly Rowland or Rihanna just as soon as Id run through Eva Longoria just as soon as Id run through Jennifer Lawrence. And Im from the south where everyones supposed to be racist, according to you California bohemian types at least.

They are of African decent, but not African. My question would be; would you bring them home to meet your momma?

BTW I am not from Cali or Bohemia.

They are of African decent, but not African. My question would be; would you bring them home to meet your momma?

BTW I am not from Cali or Bohemia.

Well, you got me there, but thats because my mama aint quite as open minded as me. Then again, if they were as rich as the ones I mentioned, my mama`s sensibilities would not be the first nor second thing on my mind.

Good vagina could convert even the most bigoted of racist klansmen. Hell, plenty klansmen probably hook up with black prostitutes when they think nobody is watching. The same could be said of a black panther dude and white girls.

What I find silly is that in the medical world you isolate folks with communicable disease. Not fly them 5,000 fucking miles to a place where no one else has the disease.

What I find silly is that in the medical world you isolate folks with communicable disease. Not fly them 5,000 fucking miles to a place where no one else has the disease.

I know, right? What were they thinking flying them to the States and telling them to run around Atlanta and rub themselves all over a bunch of folks who don't have the disease!

Sigh. You know it's possible to quarantine and isolate one or two patients quite easily, right? If this was an entire village of hundreds or thousands, they wouldn't have flown them to the States on a private jet with an isolation chamber and took every precaution to minimize exposure.

This thread is full of people freaking the fuck out about things they really don't need to freak the fuck out about.

I know, right? What were they thinking flying them to the States and telling them to run around Atlanta and rub themselves all over a bunch of folks who don't have the disease!

Sigh. You know it's possible to quarantine and isolate one or two patients quite easily, right? If this was an entire village of hundreds or thousands, they wouldn't have flown them to the States on a private jet with an isolation chamber and took every precaution to minimize exposure.

This thread is full of people freaking the fuck out about things they really don't need to freak the fuck out about.

Despite the fear mongering, the fact remains that there is a huge outbreak of ebola in a modern world where people travel, even to Africa. I think a Saudi just tested positive for it, and they have tested people in Columbus, OH and NY who came back negative. Even if these couple people are contained, there's a lot of holes for this stuff to get through.

Ebola is spreading faster than Paris Hilton's legs right now....

And that folks, is very scary.....

Consider AIDS and Malaria in Africa, which have killed far more in Africa recently than this ebola outbreak. Are you scared of the CDC bringing a couple AIDS or Malaria patients to Atlanta to treat them? Why not? I think people are letting their emotions and fear get the best of their judgement, but that's not surprising in this day and age where FUD and misinformation spreads faster than the truth.

For those of us that have been living under a rock (not paying much attention to this) - given that both the US and Russia spent more than a few dollars and few years playing with hemorrhagic fever agents, is this recent spate really Ebola?

TIA

Consider AIDS and Malaria in Africa, which have killed far more in Africa recently than this ebola outbreak. Are you scared of the CDC bringing a couple AIDS or Malaria patients to Atlanta to treat them? Why not? I think people are letting their emotions and fear get the best of their judgement, but that's not surprising in this day and age where FUD and misinformation spreads faster than the truth.

To be fair, AIDS and Malaria are already in this country; nobody has ever been infected with Ebola outside Africa. I don't see anyone running around saying it's the end of the world, only questioning the judgment of the CDC. Shit happens, as evidenced by the fact that numerous people following proper protocol have been infected. Why take the risk?

Consider AIDS and Malaria in Africa, which have killed far more in Africa recently than this ebola outbreak. Are you scared of the CDC bringing a couple AIDS or Malaria patients to Atlanta to treat them? Why not? I think people are letting their emotions and fear get the best of their judgement, but that's not surprising in this day and age where FUD and misinformation spreads

Says the guy who is 20k miles from the virus

For those of us that have been living under a rock (not paying much attention to this) - given that both the US and Russia spent more than a few dollars and few years playing with hemorrhagic fever agents, is this recent spate really Ebola?

Unless you think CDC and Médecins Sans Frontières are in on testing a bioweapon on brown people...yes, it is really Ebola.

To be fair, AIDS and Malaria are already in this country; nobody has ever been infected with Ebola outside Africa. I don't see anyone running around saying it's the end of the world, only questioning the judgment of the CDC. Shit happens, as evidenced by the fact that numerous people following proper protocol have been infected. Why take the risk?

A couple things here. If AIDS was a fast killing disease, if we knew it was going to kill its victims with a morbid, matter-of-fact eventuality, it would have been reacted to very differently by the public. It was so easy to get into this country and stay unnoticed because it is not a spectacular, fast, gory killer like ebola. It is also nowhere near as contagious. It's not even apples to oranges.

Malaria doesn't survive in this county's climate, although it likely will begin to in places like Florida and souther Louisiana sooner, rather than later, and it requires a mosquito vector.

A couple things here. If AIDS was a fast killing disease, if we knew it was going to kill its victims with a morbid, matter-of-fact eventuality, it would have been reacted to very differently by the public. It was so easy to get into this country and stay unnoticed because it is not a spectacular, fast, gory killer like ebola. It is also nowhere near as contagious. It's not even apples to oranges.

Malaria doesn't survive in this county's climate, although it likely will begin to in places like Florida and souther Louisiana sooner, rather than later, and it requires a mosquito vector.

I am going to "inject" this here because it is relevant to this discussion. Malaria actually thrives here and did so from colonial times until the 1940s, so well in fact it was killing thousands of Americans a year until in 1939 Swiss scientist Paul Muller discovered DDT which was so effective at killing mosquitos that he received the Nobel Prize for his work in 1948. It was a phenomenon, and absolutely destroyed malaria rates worldwide...for example India went from 75 MILLION infections a year to about 15,000.

The National Academy of Science had this to say:
“To only a few chemicals does man owe as great a debt as to DDT. It is estimated that, in little more than two decades DDT has prevented 500 million human deaths, due to malaria, that would otherwise have been inevitable.”

So what happened? A couple of flawed studies suggested DDT was killing birds might be toxic to people, despite the fact it had been used millions of times worldwide without a single documented case of a person succumbing to DDT, even the sprayers. That didnt stop radical environmentalists from going into frenzy mode and lobbying for the ban on DDT. One of them wrote a book called "Silent Spring" which ridiculous as it sounds and with no proof claimed that DDT was an threat to the very survival of the human race (gee, sound familiar?) and the fear mongering rose to a whole new level. The US Department of Health put out a study estimating that life expectancy would fall to 42 years by 1980! The Sierra Club, the Environmental Defense Fund, and Greenpeace among others jumped on the bandwagon and bowing to political pressure from environmentalist lawsuits the EPA banned DDT. A similar pattern followed worldwide, with the United Nations threatening to withhold grants in the third world countries that benefited more than anyone from DDT.

The bird egg myth has been debunked, though environmentalists trying to justify this trail of depravity to this day try to revive the debunked studies leading to the ban. There are now over 200MILLION infections a year worldwide, and though modern treatments have imporved survivability once contracted, still close to a million people a year die from the disease.

The bottom line is that far more people have been killed from the environmental lobby than Hitler.

How does this relate to pandemics? First, sit up an take notice when the environmental lobby uses government to save you from yourself, there is a knife intended for your back in there somewhere. Some of these people are well meaning animal lovers whose emotion blinds them to fact, but I believe the leadership is something else, and has a different goal in mind. Consider the following qoute from David Graber, National Park Service research biologist:

"Human happiness, and certainly human fecundity,
are not as important as a wild and healthy planet. I
know social scientists who remind me that people are
part of nature, but it isn't true. Somewhere along the
line -- at about a billion years ago, maybe half that -
- we quit the contract and became a cancer. We have
become a plague upon ourselves and upon the Earth. It
is cosmically unlikely that the developed world will
choose to end its orgy of fossil-energy consumption,
and the Third World its suicidal consumption of
landscape. Until such time as Homo sapiens should
decide to rejoin nature, some of us can only hope for
the right virus to come along."David M. Graber
(National Park Service research biologist)

I am not saying ebola is that right virus. What I am saying is that the same people who have destroyed millions of lives through the DDT ban would privately be gleeful if a virus destroyed another few millions, because they see you an I as the real virus. Malaria, global warming control measures, communist population controls, and possibly viral pandemics are tools in their arsenal. I would not be surprised if some day one of them "helped" the right virus come along.

I was going to mention this earlier, but malaria is actually making a comeback--here in the United States, and globally.

Three or four years ago, there was a case in Louisiana and several in Florida. A handful of cases, but cases nonetheless.

I've worked with three people who had malaria. One was a lady from India, and had had malaria since childhood, and would suffer remissions at work and would have to lie down on a couch with a bag of ice on her head. The other one was a guy who went on Safari in Botswana and contracted it. The other guy was from Australia and contracted malaria in South Africa.

Apparently malaria isn't much of a concern, as it is treatable. Having been to Africa, I can tell you that I was terrified of malaria. AIDS not so much as I had no intention of messing around.

The lady from India that I worked with that had malaria? I had no fear at all of contracting it from her. Not in the slightest. I even helped fill bags of ice for her.

Funny how no one mentions West Nile Virus. We had a guy at work who ridiculed us for using bug repellent and worrying about it. He called us every name in the book, including xenophobic racists, homophobes, anti-immigration, etc. He was so bad that he actually got called into Human Resources for his behavior. Then guess what?? He was out of work for two weeks and I asked after him...

"Oh didn't you read the Denver Post? He contracted West Nile Virus"...

West Nile Virus knocked him flat on his ass for a good month, and he lost 20 pounds. But he also lost the ability to ridicule those of us who took/take West Nile Virus seriously. And West Nile Virus spread across the U.S. like wildfire. It was reported on the East Coast and within what seemed to be weeks was here in Colorado. Extremely fast...

There is also another virus stemming from Haiti that's cropping up in Florida at the moment. Chikungungya (sp?) but at least it doesn't appear as ruthless as some others.

No one is stating the obvious at the CDC or the WHO, which is that we are gladly importing all sorts of viruses into the United States. But that would be politically incorrect and hurt someone's feelings....

No reason to panic, stay alert, stay sharp, per usual, carry on...

I am going to "inject" this here because it is relevant to this discussion. Malaria actually thrives here and did so from colonial times until the 1940s, so well in fact it was killing thousands of Americans a year until in 1939 Swiss scientist Paul Muller discovered DDT which was so effective at killing mosquitos that he received the Nobel Prize for his work in 1948. It was a phenomenon, and absolutely destroyed malaria rates worldwide...for example India went from 75 MILLION infections a year to about 15,000.

Certain types of Malaria DID thrive here. It has been eliminated since the 1950s. It is no longer considered endemic. To further qualify my statement, the species known for fatalities in the modern healthcare system, P. vivax and P. falciperum, do not thrive here, and never have; the temperature suitability is essentially zero for transmission in the CONUS (See figures 2 and 3: Parasites & Vectors | Full text | Modelling the global constraints of temperature on transmission of Plasmodium falciparum and P. vivax).

DDT is a miracle drug for mankind. There is simply no arguing it.

But it IS extremely dangerous. Environmentalist/journalism tomes like Silent Spring notwithstanding, it is persistent, as is its breakdown product DDE. It adsorbs to lipids and bioacccumulates up the food chain. This is not alarmism, but quantified fact. Thinning of raptor eggshells, toxicity to amphibians, sex hormone alterations in crocodilians, these are peer reviewed scientific observations that continue to stand the test of reproducibility, not "flawed studies".

DDT is one of those things where there is a gray area, where balance should be searched and the bald facts not corrupted by agendas. There are huge positives and huge consequences.