• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EC tuner brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmao...ultimate reloader youtube channel...industry expert...jfc...

I'm watching it right now.

They may as well be testing the "Satterlee method". Through their testing methodology, they would be telling you that the "Satterlee method" does in fact work because they found a flat spot on a graph with a statistically irrelevant sample size. I feel like its 2015 again...

I'll check that video out.

But lets keep the following in mind:

- Prior to these products coming into PRS circles, tuners (which have been used for decades), were never used in centerfire rifles to make a rifle more precise. The disciplines that have a long experience with tuners (benchrest and F-class) DO NOT use tuners for this purpose. This is an unprecedented claim. I think on this premise alone, it's more than okay to be skeptical about tuners and this new prescribed use for them.

- If there is a benefit to tuners for this prescribed purpose, its likely very marginal. Even Frank here was confused to the results of his tuner testing, and he's obviously a very experienced shooter, an expert on shooting in his own right. Alex Wheeler of benchrest fame tells his clients (he builds world record setting BR guns), that they should shoot at least 1-2 barrels out in competition before adding a tuner into the mix. Why? Because they are another variable, one that can be very confusing to interpret. Even very seasoned and skilled shooters have a hard time interpreting and understanding tuners.

- A sample size of 2-3 for testing is statistically irrelevant. That's just noise. That applies to anything. Yet somehow, reloaders and shooters think that statistics doesn't matter when it comes bullet seating depths, charge weights and tuners.

- All the public testing done to date is statistically irrelevant. Most of it is anecdotal garbage, if we are being honest. I've yet to see a compelling data set that demonstrates that tuners work for the purposes that are being described in this thread. Most of the "data" presented is about as relevant as the "satterlee method" 10-shot ladder.

I own a tuner, btw, and I have done my own limited testing with it. To be fair, I need to test it more. But in the ~60 or so rounds I shot through a tuner, I haven't seen any compelling data that makes me think it "works" like how some like yourself on here state. I do believe in barrel harmonics, I do believe that perhaps they do have some use for benchrest and F-class, how minute that is (and lets not forget different than the prescribed use here). I'm open to the fact that they may help factory ammo that isn't optimized to your rifle to shoot better, but I've yet to see a compelling data set that demonstrates that.

You've literally said all of the above in here before.

If you dont believe that the data that exists is valid, then go and gather your own data.

http://www.varmintal.com/aeste.htm this covers it in much further detail than you (or anyone else in this thread) has presented, and is as void of emotion as possible.

it explains barrel harmonics and the effects of tuners on barrel harmonics. Its pretty simple to understand how a tuner works based on this.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Naw, you're just an arrogant ass. You think every comment on a thread is directed at you and you HAVE to respond with your wealth of knowledge. Your a black hole of arguments on every thread you're involved in
Typically speaking, if someone is quoting you, and responding directly to you, then that comment would be directed at you.

Or were you referring to someone else entirely, each time you quoted me?

Im still trying to figure out, were you born this slow, or was the condition learned over time? If you were born like this, then I truly feel bad. I dont make make it a point to typically bully the mentally ill, but its really a coin toss with you.

Maybe you should stick to that radio you were talking about earlier? Push buttons and talk to it some more. Maybe the voices will eventually make sense in your head?

You've literally said all of the above in here before.

If you dont believe that the data that exists is valid, then go and gather your own data.

http://www.varmintal.com/aeste.htm this covers it in much further detail than you (or anyone else in this thread) has presented, and is as void of emotion as possible.

it explains barrel harmonics and the effects of tuners on barrel harmonics. Its pretty simple to understand how a tuner works based on this.

I have done my own testing.

And cool, POI moves with a tuner. We all get that. I think anyone that's had a muzzle brake or suppressor come loose knows that.

What can't be explained or demonstrated is how a change in barrel frequency makes a rifle and ammo more precise.

Anyways, I'm going back into the shadows. I have no vested interested in this, I have nothing to gain from anyone thinking either way on this topic.

I'll keep lurking if some compelling data actually shows up, but until then I'm remaining a skeptic.

So if the industry leaders in ballistics determined through extensive testing that tuners don't work like you think they do, would you believe them or would you just be another self-proclaimed SH expert?
Where is this testing?

From what can see tuners used to be popular years ago. Browning even had the boss system. I can tell you for rimfire where you can't tune your load, I know alot of people that swear by tuners. I know a few guys who use them in PRS and like them as well.

The science behind a tuner is pretty clear. Now how much it effects a heavy profile barrel shooting centerfire where you can already tune your load is debatable. If I had to guess, its much less effective on centerfire for that reason and the lighter and longer the barrel, the more pronounced the effects are.

Benchrest guys shoot short fat barrels for a reason.

They are testing .22 ammo. No recoil force to consider so it shouldn't matter.
Different story with centrefire rifles.
Its the only way to test and eliminate the weakest variable (The shooter) Thats why it is done. What about Benchrest guys locked into a 50 pound sled shooting a 30lb gun on a concrete bench? They are taking the recoil out of the shot as well.

Lapua Performance Center https://www.capstonepg.com/rpc/
Eley Customer Test Center https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/content/6-eley-range

Please give Lapua and Eley a ring and let them know that fixtures hurt their testing methodology and that its only accurate for the "Very Best ammo on the planet"

Record it for us too.

Wow, I can’t remember the last time someone misinterpreted a statement this bad.

It’s not about the test fixture. It’s about what happens when in the fixture. As far as group size still being large enough to require long term testing.

Also, if you think for a minute that Lapua believes they are always giving you the best ammo for your rifle based on that few hours of testing, you’re wrong. What they have given you is a pretty decent chance of being really good ammo for your rifle. And also a chance of being absolutely great ammo. Hell, they won’t even test the top top shelf ammo unless you request it.

This is also why you can have a lot of center-x outperform Midas + (talking about in general in many rifles on the street). Because they are made on the same machine and lot tested to see which one to label and sell for a higher price.

At times their lot testing ends up being on the low side of the probability scale and the center-x should have been labeled midas and the midas should have been center-x.

You’re a little up past your bedtime on this stuff.

Also, just an FYI for the future, citing ultimate reloader is not a good idea. He is very good at what he does, and I enjoy his product videos. He is however not actually educating anyone on loading and is absolutely not testing anything with results that are confident or significant.

Where is this testing?

From what can see tuners used to be popular years ago. Browning even had the boss system. I can tell you for rimfire where you can't tune your load, I know alot of people that swear by tuners. I know a few guys who use them in PRS and like them as well.

The science behind a tuner is pretty clear. Now how much it effects a heavy profile barrel shooting centerfire where you can already tune your load is debatable. If I had to guess, its much less effective on centerfire for that reason and the lighter and longer the barrel, the more pronounced the effects are.

I don't have that testing information, but others have alluded to that testing being done. Whether it gets made public or not, I don't know.

Whether PRS shooters like them or not is not a convincing argument in itself. These are the same people that post pictures of their 3-shot chronograph readings that show they have an ES of 5 or less for their uneducated followers to jerk off too.

Rimfires are a completely different world, one that I'm not apart of. There's a lot of nuances to rimfires that differentiate them from centerfires, and that's a world I have almost no experience in. I'll just have to give those people the benefit of the doubt.

And no, the science is not clear on tuners.

• Haha
Reactions: AleksanderSuave
To be clear, I’m not saying that testing fixtures aren’t a valid means of testing. They absolutely are.

I’m saying that a test fixture doesn’t bring the number of shots to be confident down.

It means a human requires even more. Generally speaking.

I don't have that testing information, but others have alluded to that testing being done. Whether it gets made public or not, I don't know.

Whether PRS shooters like them or not is not a convincing argument in itself. These are the same people that post pictures of their 3-shot chronograph readings that show they have an ES of 5 or less for their uneducated followers to jerk off too.

Rimfires are a completely different world, one that I'm not apart of. There's a lot of nuances to rimfires that differentiate them from centerfires, and that's a world I have almost no experience in. I'll just have to give those people the benefit of the doubt.

And no, the science is not clear on tuners.
So what your saying is you have no evidence that Tuners don't work but we have a ton of respected people including national and world champs who swear by them, but the science is not clear.

Its pretty simple. See what the best in any dicipline is doing/using, and copy it. No need to reinvent the wheel. This is the best advice for 99% of shooters. That other 1%, well they may unlock the next great secret or blow their brains out in frustration trying to come up with a better wheel. Do you want to spend time having fun shooting or what?

And no dont throw in some retard generalization of social media along with all PRS shooters. Alot of guys spend an insane amount of time to make the most accurate loads they can and take this very seriously. Many of those same shooters are Scientists, MD's, Engineers, ect in their day job, and probably understand statistic sampling a bit more than you give them credit.

I don't run a tunner on a centerfire to be clear. I am unsure of the real benefit, however the theory behind it is sound, and its up to each person to decide what level of diminishing returns they want to chase. Those that do, more power to them and I will assume they are doing what they feel is right.

That’s what I just purchased, an ATS. I got to see what it did for a few of the better PRS guys down here and was duly impressed. I ordered one that day.

@Barelstroker, I watched the before and after right there on the range. Three five shot groups before putting the tuner on. Then three five shot groups after putting the tuner on and adjusting it for the load. Big difference that was real.

I could give a shit about all of your babbling on about statistics and sample size etc. The results are real and measurable, but you should definitely all wait a year or two until someone has done full testing and published the results. I’ll use what I know works.
Lash, my sentiments exactly. Don’t need a computer to see the obvious, or God forbid a statistician to obfuscate it.

So what your saying is you have no evidence that Tuners don't work but we have a ton of respected people including national and world champs who swear by them, but the science is not clear.

Its pretty simple. See what the best in any dicipline is doing/using, and copy it. No need to reinvent the wheel. This is the best advice for 99% of shooters. That other 1%, well they may unlock the next great secret or blow their brains out in frustration trying to come up with a better wheel. Do you want to spend time having fun shooting or what?

And no dont throw in some retard generalization of social media along with all PRS shooters. Alot of guys spend an insane amount of time to make the most accurate loads they can and take this very seriously. Many of those same shooters are Scientists, MD's, Engineers, ect in their day job, and probably understand statistic sampling a bit more than you give them credit.

I don't run a tunner on a centerfire to be clear. I am unsure of the real benefit, however the theory behind it is sound, and its up to each person to decide what level of diminishing returns they want to chase. Those that do, more power to them and I will assume they are doing what they feel is right.

You completely misunderstand my argument.

No other centerfire discipline uses tuners to make their rifles more precise. We are NOT using tuners the same way as F-class and benchrest, we are prescribing a whole new purpose for them in PRS. The way in which tuners are used in F-class and benchrest is completely different and irrelevant to how people are trying to use them in our discipline.

There's a lot of science in harmonic frequency, sure. But there's little to no science that outlines the relationship between harmonic frequencies and group sizes.

The theory behind it is sound. The science is not.

That’s a pretty important distinction.

To be fair, I doubt the science will ever be fleshed out though. The ROI is next to zero. You would gain almost nothing by unquestionably proofing they work or don’t work and if they do, proving exactly how they work.

You likely wouldn’t be able to monetize the information. With the exception of something like Applied Ballistics who literally sell information.

Lash, my sentiments exactly. Don’t need a computer to see the obvious, or God forbid a statistician to obfuscate it.
There’s an old saying, older than I am, that still holds true today.

5A5AE1FD-B632-42C5-960E-2FAAB91B2D36.jpeg

I’m a retired engineer and spent a lot of time correcting people after their presentations using quality control data. It’s not like I don’t know how they are to be used when proving and/or disproving a point. I’ve created many charts and graphs over the years, all using real properly collected data, that told the story I needed to tell at the time. It’s all about choosing your data sets carefully, now isn’t it guys?

I also spent many years managing engineers. Some of my sharpest and smartest guys were the most difficult to get to make choices and decisions. They never have enough data to make decisions or take calculated risks. That’s why they needed a manager.

Anyway, here’s your proof:

2522BFA1-D8ED-4D07-AA1C-4745B5836019.png

Because history hasn’t spoken.

Full disclaimer. I run Erik’s tuners. Sometimes I’ve used them and other barrels it’s sat in zero setting the entire life of the barrel.

But, I can’t tell you they absolutely work the way we think they do. There’s a lot more than meets the eye with a ton of this stuff.
Of course there is. Lay it all out there

im still on the fence about tuners and their working or not..both sides make sense ..which is unusual for the hide lol

from what i can gather consensus says:

the barrel is supposedly moving before the bullet is out of the barrel

the timing of velocity/seating depth is focused at getting the bullet to leave when the barrel is at its longest "dead" spot

might be a few more nuances but that is the basics from what i consistently hear

has anyone tried:

shooting groups at each seating depth without a tuner

recording those groups, those are now a untuned barrel seating depth test

using the tightest untuned group as the standard/best (if the smallest groups is .5 or bigger its prob a waste because .5 is a joke if you have a accurate rifle)

put a tuner on the rifle

take the other seating depths and manipulate the tuner to see if you can match the "untuned barrel" best group

if you are unable to "tune" EACH seating depth to match the best non tuned group...tuners dont work 100% or at all

if you can make all the seating depths match the best untuned group, they we have some serious testing to do

thanks

No. It’s simple really, find a good load that is in a solid node for SD, charge and jump. That gives you a solid 1/2 MOA group. Test load at distances. Nice, right? Then use the tuner. Cut that group size by 30-50% (repeatable) in minutes. Test out to distances and tweak slightly if needed. Easy button. Who doesn’t want an easy button?

But frankly, I’m not here to sell these things. I hardly want them to go up in price and become unavailable. I really don’t think that anyone should buy one. It’s all just smoke and mirrors and nobody can shoot the difference anyway, right?
Lash, There is also the ability to shape your groups at long range to avoid excess wind sensitivity, if you can shoot the difference and read what the wind should have done. Tremendous deficiency of Right brain thinking amongst the flat earth linear thinkers on here.

Reactions: lash
I don’t have a dog in this fight and I do use a tuner on my RimX but if the only way to really see an improvement after tuning a hand load is with a led sled then it really means not much to me.

I mean sure if you’re an F class guy and you can shoot 1/8 groups, why not.
If you’re only shooting factory ammo and you can find a setting that obviously improves the grouping, why not.

But I doubt for most shooters there a significant gain after properly tuning a load.
A led sled is the surest path to a fuckup. Avoid

Where is this testing?

Exactly. And faucci is an @ industry leader thus the term is perjorative in my book. The man who demands statistics can’t name one industry leader data set, to complement his techno-Fascist vibe.

To humor myself I'm going to take my tuner and 6.5 Creedmoor out to the range, I have a bunch of different factory ammo I never shoot anymore that I can test out. I'll test for myself over multiple different days and conditions as I have the time. I've already determined that a tuner can't make proper reloads more precise, but perhaps there's something to the factory ammo argument.

I have no interest in the petty name calling and insults this thread is degrading to. Its not a good look if you have to make insults in order to try and win an argument (which this shouldn't even be in the first place).

You completely misunderstand my argument.

No other centerfire discipline uses tuners to make their rifles more precise. We are NOT using tuners the same way as F-class and benchrest, we are prescribing a whole new purpose for them in PRS. The way in which tuners are used in F-class and benchrest is completely different and irrelevant to how people are trying to use them in our discipline.

There's a lot of science in harmonic frequency, sure. But there's little to no science that outlines the relationship between harmonic frequencies and group sizes.

When did anyone in this thread say that the purpose of a tuner is strictly for PRS...?

Reactions: Snuby642
The theory behind it is sound. The science is not.

That’s a pretty important distinction.

To be fair, I doubt the science will ever be fleshed out though. The ROI is next to zero. You would gain almost nothing by unquestionably proofing they work or don’t work and if they do, proving exactly how they work.

You likely wouldn’t be able to monetize the information. With the exception of something like Applied Ballistics who literally sell information.

Your posts are starting to sound more like a poem and less like a point.

Monetizing the information means creating a product that can be sold with that information. Thats exactly what a tuner is, or any other product that is designed to "improve" upon the function of something.

Where in this discussion have you agreed to what exactly would constitute an accurate and scientific test of a barrel tuner? I keep asking you to lay out what a proper test would look like, and you keep ignoring the question just to come back and wax poetic.

• Haha
Literally no one is saying that.

The fact that you are even bringing that up as a point makes me realize that this entire discussion has been lost on you.
Is there another Kthomas who posted that then? or someone using your account to argue on your behalf?

The quote sure looks like yours. It even has your name on it. Why are you so hung on up PRS, f class, or any other competitive shooting? Its not required to be a competitive shooter to see a benefit from a barrel tuner.

Is there another Kthomas who posted that then? or someone using your account to argue on your behalf?

The quote sure looks like yours. It even has your name on it. Why are you so hung on up PRS, f class, or any other competitive shooting? Its not required to be a competitive shooter to see a benefit from a barrel tuner.

🙄

I've never stated that tuners are only used for PRS. In fact, I've mentioned f-class and benchrest numerous times as part of my talking points.

What can't be explained or demonstrated is how a change in barrel frequency makes a rifle and ammo more precise.

If it could be, you'd think Browning wouldn't have given up on that BOSS they had years ago. I never saw anybody with one bragging or showing pics of groups in person. I think even Browning has learned that a good barrel makes an accurate bolt action rifle or else they'd still be putting them on.

Propaganda circa 2010 on YT, came out in mid-90's. https://www.browning.com/news/tech-terms/boss-rifle-accuracy-system.html

I see their value in rimfire. Maybe if you buy "hunting" ammo.

If it could be, you'd think Browning wouldn't have given up on that BOSS they had years ago. I never saw anybody with one bragging or showing pics of groups in person. I think even Browning has learned that a good barrel makes an accurate bolt action rifle or else they'd still be putting them on.

Propaganda circa 2010 on YT, came out in mid-90's. https://www.browning.com/news/tech-terms/boss-rifle-accuracy-system.html

A poorly marketed product doesnt mean it didnt work.

I agree.

It's been done in the past, and more or less abandoned except for the most niche uses. You would think that if the results were that compelling, that tuners (which were made decades ago), would be a lot more prominent.

Instead tuners seem to be relegated to very specific uses, such as tuning during BR matches to account for changing environmentals (we are talking very, very small changes, not shrinking your group size by ~50% type changes).

I find it very interesting that the PRS crowd has suddenly found and adopted tuners, I've followed this trend with a lot of interest. What's really intriguing is the new use that's been prescribed for tuners for this discipline - to shrink group sizes. Through my testing I've found that a tuner is not a replacement for proper reloads - something the benchrest crowd has known for decades and agrees on. I'm more open to the idea that it can potentially have benefits with factory ammo, but there's yet to be compelling evidence to suggest this is the case.

That's why I'm going to test it for myself. It'll be multiple days of shooting (conducted over many months and conditions), hundreds of rounds, with different types of ammo (Prime, Hornady AMAX, Hornady ELM's). One to two days of testing using just 2-3 shot groups is far from telling the full story. All the evidence that's been presented thus far is anecdotal garbage, and about as worthy as the "Satterlee method" of reloading.

Reactions: brianf
I agree.

It's been done in the past, and more or less abandoned except for the most niche uses. You would think that if the results were that compelling, that tuners (which were made decades ago), would be a lot more prominent.

Instead tuners seem to be relegated to very specific uses, such as tuning during BR matches to account for changing environmentals (we are talking very, very small changes, not shrinking your group size by ~50% type changes).

I find it very interesting that the PRS crowd has suddenly found and adopted tuners, I've followed this trend with a lot of interest. What's really intriguing is the new use that's been prescribed for tuners for this discipline - to shrink group sizes. Through my testing I've found that a tuner is not a replacement for proper reloads - something the benchrest crowd has known for decades and agrees on. I'm more open to the idea that it can potentially have benefits with factory ammo, but there's yet to be compelling evidence to suggest this is the case.

That's why I'm going to test it for myself. It'll be multiple days of shooting (conducted over many months and conditions), hundreds of rounds, with different types of ammo (Prime, Hornady AMAX, Hornady ELM's). One to two days of testing using just 2-3 shot groups is far from telling the full story. All the evidence that's been presented thus far is anecdotal garbage, and about as worthy as the "Satterlee method" of reloading.
Sounds good, and once you finish testing it, we'll call bullshit on your findings, and pick it apart, and say its noise, as you (and a small handful of stubborn others have) for every other piece of evidence presented so far.

All the evidence that's been presented thus far is anecdotal garbage, and about as worthy as the "Satterlee method" of reloading.

In the video I posted you have literally the "who's who" of Fudd writers of the time. Carmichael should have known better but I bet the rest got a free rifle for some pro-jabber. They state in their video, a 2" group will work at 100 yards on a deer but not at 400. So why did they just show tuned groups at 100 yards and not at 400 or 600?

I guess you can use a tuner at 600 yards if you're an F class guy, but why would you bother with a good rifle? I watched EC's videos of the SW championship. The scores were close and all the shooters stated it was just pulling triggers, until the wind changed.

Sounds good, and once you finish testing it, we'll call bullshit on your findings, and pick it apart, and say its noise, as you (and a small handful of stubborn others have) for every other piece of evidence presented so far.

You're free to say what you want. In most cases I couldn't care less what a random stranger on the internet has to say.

I may not even share it. But I'll test it out for myself, since some believe so strongly in this new prescribed use of tuners.

You're free to say what you want. In most cases I couldn't care less what a random stranger on the internet has to say.

I may not even share it. But I'll test it out for myself, since some believe so strongly in this new prescribed use of tuners.

Already been tested and proven. 5 elr matches wone last year by 4 different guys using my tuner brake

I believe you've see that post too, since you responded multiple times in that thread, a year ago, telling people all the reasons why they shouldnt buy one then either.

The better question is, why you have a chip on your shoulder to be arguing against tuners so much? Usually someone doesnt spend this much time and energy trying to discredit a product they simply dont like, they just move on with their lives.

article is 9 years old too..so looks like barrel tuners certainly arent a "newly prescribed use" either.

The difference is we're now getting to a point where they are a mass-produced item instead of a custom machined add-on that required a gunsmith's work to complete.

I believe you've see that post too, since you responded multiple times in that thread, a year ago, telling people all the reasons why they shouldnt buy one then either.

The better question is, why you have a chip on your shoulder to be arguing against tuners so much? Usually someone doesnt spend this much time and energy trying to discredit a product they simply dont like, they just move on with their lives.
I actually have no emotions invested in this topic, I just find the topic super intriguing, and I find the lack of data very surprising.

Looks like MPA is now offering the EC tuner as part of their rifle builds.

Quite a heavy endorsement for a product that does "nothing"

I don't think anyone is saying it does "nothing", including myself.

And companies offer products that the consumers want. What utility those products may or may not supply is something entirely different.

Anyways, I'm done arguing with you. I personally don't care. You are obviously very emotionally invested in this product.

Enjoy your tuners. Don't take things so personally and seriously - life's to short to get so petty.

Reactions: Secant and 37L1

Some might tell keith trapp that tuners dont work cause he was using one when he wone the SWN on ft-r and while your at it ask him if he ignored load devlopment sence he was using a tuner?

I actually have no emotions invested in this topic, I just find the topic super intriguing, and I find the lack of data very surprising.
You’d be surprised how much of “what we know” is all word of mouth with no data backing it up.

Every time I/we thought we had info or opinions we could trust…it was based on “experience in the firearms industry not data.

I /we would then pay for real data or buy the part/product and play with it.

I truthfully think that the market is so big and shooters are a mix of impulse, looks, buying performance and they need a story to tell about their purchase.

Hey you see my new XYZ..david tubb uses it etc.

Instead of saying..see my new XYZ…this is a pic of my groups before and after.

Very different approach

I don't think anyone is saying it does "nothing", including myself.

And companies offer products that the consumers want. What utility those products may or may not supply is something entirely different.

Anyways, I'm done arguing with you. I personally don't care. You are obviously very emotionally invested in this product.

Enjoy your tuners. Don't take things so personally and seriously - life's to short to get so petty.
Are you responding to me or yourself with that advice? A year later and you’re still arguing with strangers on the internet about the use of barrel tuners. Sounds like you’re stuck on them, quite seriously.

If you need me to go back and quote your own posts about what they do (or don’t do), you may have a bigger issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.