• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Economical scope (under $250)

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I'm pretty well versed in what is available in the $1000+ range, but I'm not sure what to look at/for in the $250 and under range.

My buddy ordered a DPMS LR308 and is looking to put an inexpensive scope on it with an ideal power range of 3-10x40-ish (obviously flexible on that), side focus would be nice and a mil-dot reticle would also be nice. 1/4MOA clicks would be preferred over 1/8MOA. 1/2 or 1MOA wouldn't be a bad route either.

Anyhow, lets hear what you guys think- I know it's hard to fill the bill for a good scope at this price, but I'd like to get him set up as well as we can since he's just getting into it and is on a wife-limited budget!

Thanks guys!

Re: Economical scope (under $250)

The Mueller TAC-2 scope is in that ball park, maybe a little more.
It does not have a parallax adjustment.

The glass is excellent, 3-10x, mil-dot. I have had mine on top of a sendero in 7mmRM with excellent results.

I bought a bushnell trophy series scope a year or so ago. It is a 3-9x40 with mildot and 1/4moa adj(not target turrets though). It's no knockem out of the park scope, but get a good dope for the mils( at the right power setting) and run it. I've successfully banged steel to 500yrds with it on a lr308 with a 243win upper. I believe it was about $150 or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what to look at/for in the $250 and under range.

on a wife-limited budget!
</div></div>

target turrets
mil-dots
pass the box test

choices...
Mueller
Vortex Crossfire
Tasco Target-Varmint

mueller apt will pass every requirement

CenterPointe 4-16x40 from Wal-mart for $70.

4-16 zoom
mil-dot SFP
1/4" target turrets
illuminated reticle (red/green)
adjustable objective focus
includes rings and flip-up covers

Only thing bad I can say about this scope is that the mil-dots are hard to see when the reticle is illuminated. I've shot to 750 yards with my Savage 12FV in .223 with it. Also, used to be on a .270 Win rifle so it should handle the .308 recoil just fine.

I like high magnification: My "Leeper's" accu-shot swat 6-24 (or so) served me very well for what little money I paid...

Thanks for the advise guys! I'm currently looking at the Viper Crossfire as well as offerings from Millet and Mueller. Viper w/30mm tube seems to be a bit better option than the Millet and Mueller offerings. Would that be an accurate statement?

You may pay a bit more, but the Super Sniper is well worth the additional buckage. I seriously doubt any of them will disappoint.

I am a huge fan of the Tasco Target/Varmint scopes; but in your instance, I think the step up is clearly warranted.

Greg