• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I live in Texas and the state government has recently made auto knives legal for carry. I am look for a good EDC auto knife. Does anyone have any advice. I like the ZT (I own 2 ZT fixed blades) but it seems bulky. So ultimately, I am looking for a slim, light, rugged, durable auto knife. Blade quality is paramount, I want something made out of a good steel that will hold an edge. Price is no problem. Just looking for advice.

I've got a Benchmade for Blackwater BWGA7 that I carried for a long time until I retired it just in case the logo was ever worth anything. I don't see anything directly comparable for size on Benchmade's site but it was a 3.47" blade at .48" thick, a bit smaller than the Stryker. It was a little finicky with how you gripped it, in a couple rare circumstances it failed to deploy completely.

My Benchmade Auto Stryker has never let me down. The Microtech OTF knives that I have are awesome, but over months of carry and use can become dirty and unreliable.

I picked up and older model benchmade stryker from a guy at work for $50. Send it in, had a new blade put on and had the auto mechanism fixed. About $100 in the knife now and couldn't be happier with it. Alabama Shooter my dealer has a nice selection of benchmades, auto and normal. Suppressed Tactical Solutions. They are down in the valley but they ship and have great prices.

I have four Benchmade automatics in three designs and one has a safety. Without a safety they will open in a pocket and with a safety they require fine motor movement to deploy. I live on a small farm and need a one handed knife. In the winter the knife is clipped in an open pocket and the autos would become non functional from crud in the hinge. About five years ago I switched to a ZT350 and haven't looked back. The 350 is an assisted opener and easy to deploy. The flipper uses gross rather than fine motor skills. It is hard to activate the button on an auto with gloves, particularly wet gloves, whereas the flipper is easy to activate and if necessary you can open it by just brushing the flipper on your jacket or pants. If your going to use it much I'd recommend the Kershaw assisted openers.

Quarter Horse I find myself leaving the lock off on the stryker I have. The button is recessed a little, I build oil rigs and am always crawling around in tight spots. Have not had it open up on me yet. What models do you have?

I carry the Benchmade 5000BT and have never had it open in my pocket. It differs from the other Benchmade autos in that it uses the Axis lock system to deploy the blade instead of a push button. This way you can deploy the blade from either side with the familiar Axis lock. I like it mucho and it really isn't that big to carry for a 3.5" blade with machined aluminum handles. It is 154CM steel so it's not top of the line but it sharpens well and holds the edge well for an EDC knife.

I love my benchmade infidel,so much I only wish I had gotten the single sided version not the doubble sided one

88, I have four knives in three models. The first I bought was an AFO that I got shortly after their release. I believe these were their first auto. I had them make me up a dozen without serrations and without pocket clips. Eleven friends got a great deal and I did even better. The next two were a Pardue design that has aluminum handle scales with rubber (?) inserts and a 4" blade, these are my favorites. I don't know that this knife was ever released to the public, I have never seen another and I couldn't find it in their discontinued products. The fourth is a 3550 which is also a Pardue design, has about a 3" blade, is very light, has the integrated safety and is about ideal if wearing jacket and slacks or a suit.

Note that i had the original AFOs made without pocket clips. I carried the two larger knives, while wearing dress clothes, in a pocket and did not want a visible clip. I also carried them on the farm wearing work clothes. I don't know how many times they opened in a pocket but it was enough times that I was conscious of it.

I'm not knocking these knives. If I didn't think they were well made and well designed I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. Remember, my recommendation of the ZT was with the caveat "if you are going to use it a lot". The ZT 350 is sturdier, more sure to deploy and has S30V instead of 154CM like the Benchmades. Kershaw has greatly expanded their ZT line since I bought mine. The OP should look at the newer 770. 3", Elcan steel, assisted opener and only weighs about 3.5 ounces.

Update, I did have one problem with my Stryker this weekend. It was becoming a little sluggish on opening and sometimes would not even lock up all the way. Couple squirts of WD40 and it is good as new.

I carry the Benchmade 5000BT and have never had it open in my pocket.

Ditto with an Infidel as well as the 5000. Carry one of them every day (most often the 5000).

Benchmade Mini-reflex.

I've had a spring break on me in an auto, however, and that has largely spoiled me on the carry of one. One-handed openers only, please.

I carry a Protech TR-3 at work, never let me down. Simple mechanism and when it gets a little slow a little drop of whatever goes on the guns works great.

As a Texan I need to add that we are still not allowed to carry double edged blades.

Love my new benchmade auto rift. large blade but carries well. tip up only but you can change right or left carry. had an afoII and liked it as well. think the axis is pretty good. the button push is a bit quicker deployment.

I carry a Pro Tech 700 Godson and haven't had any trouble with it, except for trying to close it one handed and nearly cutting my finger off!! Sucker is sharp!