• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EDM not good for European competitions

38super

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2013
My EDM Windrunner is passing the weight limit 18,6 kg with long barrel
+ 1.3 kg for the scope.
For ELR competitions in France
I’m not good to go
Do you experience the same ?
Is this the trend ?

Sorry for metric measures

Last edited:
I doubt anyone would have any idea of what you're talking about.

"European competitions" means nothing to us, just like "American competitions" would not either. You'll need to be more specific, sorry.

And what, exactly, is an EDM?

That's a 44 pound rifle for the metric illiterate.
1547571970786.png

You might be able to get the EDM to fit under the current limit if you were to get a custom carbon fibre wrapped barrel.
There are some shops here and probably in France that can take your existing barrel, mill it down and then carbon fibre wrap it.
On a very long large barrel like the EDM ones have, you could probably save a couple kilos at least.

The EDM rifles are built very solidly and can handle pretty high pressures.
They were in no way made to be "Light"

If you are stuck with the "competitions" that now want to start mucking around with weight limits just to make things "interesting", you are going to be stuck having to keep rebuilding rifles over and over as they keep lowering the weight limit.

That's about all you can do.

Hi,

I am going to assume the OP is referring the the France KO2M.
If that is correct then Yes that same "trend" is going on here at the KO2M...this year the weight limit is 45 pounds but going down to 40 pounds for the 2020 competition due to the event being marked/considered as "tactical" oriented in design and nature.

BUT the argument could be made that the "Windrunner" model rifle is the grandfather to modern ELR, especially the "Tactical" side of the house; yet the upcoming weight limits make it a no go.

Just think where modern ELR would be today if EDM had never teamed up with Cheytac with the 408CT program......yet that very rifle cannot be used in the KO2M competition.......

Sincerely,
Theis

What's worse is that Bill Ritchie passed away and EDM Arms is no more. You've got the other guys that are doing EDM work, but it's not the same. Barrel system was top notch, BAT style action, incredibly accurate. I had a Windrunner M96 - serial # 0021 if I recall correctly.

Right after the "fallout" I remember being told to "never call back if I ever mentioned the word Cheytac again" directly from Bill (at that time inquiring about a Cheytac-chambered barrel).

Bill's son still does barrels and parts for them and from time to time has used complete rifles available.

Reactions: AIAW
Hi,

Has anyone tried getting new barrels from K&P since they are back in business now? They did all the original windrunner barrels anyways.

Sincerely,
Theis
I have a couple friends running them on some big calibers. They are shooting very well. The OP might get one from them if they still make them for the edm...

I have a couple friends running them on some big calibers. They are shooting very well. The OP might get one from them if they still make them for the edm...

Hi,

Yea I know several people that have them on regular rifles, I was referring to them for the EDM rifles.
The problem with OP in getting one is that the export license cost tends to make single unit items not worth the cost and time.
US DDTC charges the exporter $250 per license then you have the exporters fees on top of that.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Geno C.