• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elcan rangefinder lines?

HKslave

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2022
NC
IMG_20220420_200046.jpg

So i finally got one of these, since theyre the supposed holy grail of sopmod and SCAR optics. Uppon reading the manual i noticed that the little rangefinder lines at the bottom left corner are spaced to represent 72cm vertically, which is roughly 2.5 feet. I thought this was kind of odd but i assumed that is because 2.5 feet is the length of an average fighting size males torso.

I think it wouldve made more sense to have them spaced for 6ft as opposed to 2.5, like a ps-o1 scope, which is also 4 powered (which they also borrowed the whole idea from). Because with the elcan, unlike the ps-01, you have to get the lines centered around the mid aection of a person which could take a few seconds longer than just running the lines across a guy thats standing up til you get to the appropriate distance marking (and just dividing your measurements in half for a guy thats nealing) because most grown males are between 5.5-6.5ft tall.

It is noce that they included something like this on the elcan, but i just think it could be better. Am i correct about my above assumption though with the torso size spacing marks?
IMG_20220420_204957.jpg

Heres a mk17 and mk18 goodbye

I looked inside my manual and it says they're 76cm/30in tall. My understanding is that this is approximately the distance from the top of the head to the beltline. You don't have to fit the lines between the shoulders and the waist, you just put the top one on the head and see where the bottom one ends up.

While this is a little slower and less precise than a 70 inch VSOR, this does carry the benefit of being able to vertically range targets that are partially obscured behind concealment or cover. At longer ranges you have the option of using the area circles, which are meant to represent the height of the body.

Added note: The Elcan looks too far forward for proper eye relief. In order to get a full FoV and a consistent eyebox profile, you will want to move it back until the edges are sharp. This distance is closer than the manual suggests (about 2.15" in practice). My advice is that you start by moving the optic too close to your eye, and then you move it forward just enough for the scope shadow to disappear.

Usually you will want to mount the Elcan at least right in front of the rear BUIS. If you extend your stock by any great amount, you are likely better off removing the rear BUIS to free up some additional mounting space. The rear BUIS can then be placed in front of your scope - this will still work.

Feet to head stadiometers are usually worthless in the field as your target is usually going to be partially obscured but vegetation,terrain or ground mirage so often groin to head, belt to head, shoulder width, head width markings are used instead.... Operate on @HKslave

I looked inside my manual and it says they're 76cm/30in tall. My understanding is that this is approximately the distance from the top of the head to the beltline. You don't have to fit the lines between the shoulders and the waist, you just put the top one on the head and see where the bottom one ends up.

While this is a little slower and less precise than a 70 inch VSOR, this does carry the benefit of being able to vertically range targets that are partially obscured behind concealment or cover. At longer ranges you have the option of using the area circles, which are meant to represent the height of the body.

Added note: The Elcan looks too far forward for proper eye relief. In order to get a full FoV and a consistent eyebox profile, you will want to move it back until the edges are sharp. This distance is closer than the manual suggests (about 2.15" in practice). My advice is that you start by moving the optic too close to your eye, and then you move it forward just enough for the scope shadow to disappear.

Usually you will want to mount the Elcan at least right in front of the rear BUIS. If you extend your stock by any great amount, you are likely better off removing the rear BUIS to free up some additional mounting space. The rear BUIS can then be placed in front of your scope - this will still work.
I had it closer to the stock but i get perfect eye relief where it is as I have a brontosaurus neck.