• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electric heat knife for cutting foam inserts

Re: Electric heat knife for cutting foam inserts

That looks like it might work really well.

I bought one very similar to that at a craft store a couple years back. It sucks. It doesn't get hot enough to cut quickly.

Just use a fillet knife or any other sharp blade. A Pelican isn't a display case. It's for protecting the rifle. Neither the rifle nor the Pelican cares if the cut is a little jagged.

The last case I cut I just used a large filet knife and heated it up on the stove till it was red hot. Cut quick like butter

I was ordering some of their tripods, so I bought it anyway. A man can't have too many tools
laugh.gif

Here's a thread on how to make your own low cost electric cutter.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695&light=

I've used an electric carving knife in the past. The purpose built foam knifes are scalloped like a gourmet bread knife but the edge is high polished for maximum sharpness. Trick is to make & use a template and use the knife in a jig saw fashion.

That cutter is for styro-foam (white stuff) not the foam in your gun case. Might still work but test it before...

Made one myself on the instructions, It works great on the closed cell foams found in cases.

I just traced out what I needed and used one of those utility razor knives with the long break off blades, the foam cuts like butter and your done,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That cutter is for styro-foam (white stuff) not the foam in your gun case. Might still work but test it before... </div></div>

Yup, I got that. For 21 bucks I thought I'd give it a try as is. If it's not hot enough to cut cleanly and fast, I'll get inside it and increase the amperage. Should be handy for smaller objects.