• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic powder dispenser recommendation...

stevieb92

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been using a RCBS chargemaster 1500 combo for quite a few years now with decent success. Mainly my loading sessions were about 50 rounds at a time, but last year I've gotten into PRS competitions and now load sometimes 150 - 200 at a time. I've noticed that the chargemaster has a drift to it. It's evident when I take the pan off the scale and read the number, which is of course a negative number because it is zeroed with the pan in place. This drift reduces my confidence that the charge amount is correct.

I'm looking to replace it with something that doesn't have this drift and is a little faster to dispense powder charges. I mainly load H4350 and Varget. What are your top three choices?

Search “V4 vs Supertrickler” and read all the threads that come up. People seem to like them both although the V3 gets the win every time even though it’s not made anymore. Then chilax for several months and wait until Paul releases the Ingenuity Precision unit; it will likely beat them all.

1. Auto throw with IP trickler
2. Supertrickler
3. Wait for new IP trickler (RUMINT says fall-ish)

Lots of threads debating the differences, but to me, all roads lead to an fx120 based system for cost/time savings/practical accuracy.

1. Auto throw with IP trickler
2. Supertrickler
3. Wait for new IP trickler (RUMINT says fall-ish)

Lots of threads debating the differences, but to me, all roads lead to an fx120 based system for cost/time savings/practical accuracy.

So do I purchase these A&D fx120 scales as a kit of individual components? Where's the place with the best deal? Any snipershide deals?

Likely the cheapest you will find the FX-120i.

Also, read all the posts to this thread:

Reactions: stevieb92

Agreed on this being a good thread to read through. It helped me decide on waiting for the IP. The general consensus seems to be that this will be an absolute killer piece of equipment. All the reading I have done reinforces that idea. That being said, it doesn't look like you can go wrong with any of the systems mentioned. They all appear to have a strong user base that enjoys them.

Reactions: KYAggie
I've been using a RCBS chargemaster 1500 combo for quite a few years now with decent success. Mainly my loading sessions were about 50 rounds at a time, but last year I've gotten into PRS competitions and now load sometimes 150 - 200 at a time. I've noticed that the chargemaster has a drift to it. It's evident when I take the pan off the scale and read the number, which is of course a negative number because it is zeroed with the pan in place. This drift reduces my confidence that the charge amount is correct.

I'm looking to replace it with something that doesn't have this drift and is a little faster to dispense powder charges. I mainly load H4350 and Varget. What are your top three choices?
I have the MatchMaster and if you are LEO, Mil, or Vet there is a large discount that makes it much more reasonable.

Works well.

Reactions: rd_kng
Agreed on this being a good thread to read through. It helped me decide on waiting for the IP. The general consensus seems to be that this will be an absolute killer piece of equipment. All the reading I have done reinforces that idea. That being said, it doesn't look like you can go wrong with any of the systems mentioned. They all appear to have a strong user base that enjoys them.

I've read through that thread and I am considering waiting for this mysterious IP. Will it still work with the A&D fx-120i balance?

I've read through that thread and I am considering waiting for this mysterious IP. Will it still work with the A&D fx-120i balance?
Yes, thats the default "lab balance" for current systems.

I have the Matchmaster and it works as described. It does seem unnecessarily complicated. I would have bought the V-3 if they weren’t backordered at the time.

It’s definitely a step up in speed and accuracy compared to the chargemaster.

If both were available I’d still buy the Autotrickler. A bit faster, a bit more precise, definitely less complicated.

The Matchmasters can be found on sale now around $750. That makes a difference.

I just set up the IP trickler with my Autotrickler V3 - it's heaven.

Recommendations:

- Get an Fx 120 from one of the places that sells it for reloading - it's more expensive for "labs" by a good margin. You will never regret this purchase.

- Get an IP trickler.

- As for the rest, there are some folks on here who have figured out how to use a manual powder throw then have the IP trickler kick in - e.g. not buy the rest of the Autotrickler setup. I didn't look into exactly what they did because I already had the V3, but this is the post by @CK1.0, complete with video:

Reactions: Schütze
I have the Matchmaster and it works as described. It does seem unnecessarily complicated. I would have bought the V-3 if they weren’t backordered at the time.

It’s definitely a step up in speed and accuracy compared to the chargemaster.

If both were available I’d still buy the Autotrickler. A bit faster, a bit more precise, definitely less complicated.

The Matchmasters can be found on sale now around $750. That makes a difference.
Unnecessarily complicated in what way, please?

And I’m not a biased fan boy of this unit. For example, I would fire the engineer who picked out a display without enough segments to fully display a character without having to use a look up table! Lol

I have not tried to develop a custom profile and just use it in match mode and their standard powder profiles. I’m retired so not in such a press for time that drop time is very critical.

But overall, I’m very happy w the unit. If I do ever upgrade, I believe it will be to the Super Trickler.
Thanks.

Like you said, the need for a secret decoder ring just to read the display is a bad start.

It is fast enough for my needs.

I guess the rest isn’t bad once I got used to it but until then I needed the manual every time to load. I guess it’s the farthest thing from intuitive I’ve ever used. Like pressing a number then what it references instead of “powder” (which is in code) then “2” it’s backwards, you press “2” then “powder” etc.

Having owned one, for a lot of guys who usually get more than a year out of a barrel and who aren’t real high volume shooters, I think the MatchMaster is a good look (especially with the LE/MIL discount). One does have to get familiar with all the parameters to really get it to shine. You pretty much have to use the App though (as mentioned, the unit’s display sucks).

That said, if you’re a high volume shooter, just don’t have much time to reload, or switch powders often for a few different guns/loads, then the IP with its painless/amazingly easy slider is it.

Reactions: Baron23
Like you said, the need for a secret decoder ring just to read the display is a bad start.

It is fast enough for my needs.

I guess the rest isn’t bad once I got used to it but until then I needed the manual every time to load. I guess it’s the farthest thing from intuitive I’ve ever used. Like pressing a number then what it references instead of “powder” (which is in code) then “2” it’s backwards, you press “2” then “powder” etc.
Oh, I agree about the work flow. WTF software eng thought it was logical to enter the value before selecting the parameter (like 1 and then “powder” as you mentioned) should be fired w the hdwr eng who picked the display.

What I do like about it is it is pretty dang accurate and it’s one, physically integrated, unit.

I just set up the IP trickler with my Autotrickler V3 - it's heaven.

Recommendations:

- Get an Fx 120 from one of the places that sells it for reloading - it's more expensive for "labs" by a good margin. You will never regret this purchase.

- Get an IP trickler.

- As for the rest, there are some folks on here who have figured out how to use a manual powder throw then have the IP trickler kick in - e.g. not buy the rest of the Autotrickler setup. I didn't look into exactly what they did because I already had the V3, but this is the post by @CK1.0, complete with video:

Is the IP trickler compatible with both the V3 and V4 autotricklers? I've got a fx-120i on my short list of things to purchase.

Is the IP trickler compatible with both the V3 and V4 autotricklers? I've got a fx-120i on my short list of things to purchase.

Yes. It replaces the v3 trickler or the v4 small tube. Uses the motors and wires off the AutoTrickler unless you buy a spare.

Reactions: stevieb92