• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic pwder dispensers...

snoogins70

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2002
Nashville-ish
Been a while since I posted on the site, but I have a question for you guys. I'm needing a a new powder thrower and I'd like to make the switch to an electronic model. I'm familiar with the RCBS 1500, but how does that differ from the other offerings that are out there. I see now that Lyman, Hornady, PACT and PACT also offer the same type of thing. Is there ant clear cut "winner" in this category, or are they all pretty much the same? I really just need something that'll streamline the reloading process, so it doesn't have to have ALL the bells and whistles. TIA...

Re: Electronic pwder dispensers...

Stay away from the Lyman DPS3. Trust me its a piece of crap. I tossed mine in the trash on thursday and ordered a Chargemaster.

Just bought a new Lyman DPS3, so far not impressed! It throws the charge fast but with very little accuracy.

Interesting, I have a completely different opinion of the DPS3. A bit of a finicky set up (level, no airflow, clean power from a UPS strip, 30 minute warmup) but rock solid, much faster than my old RCBS, and as accurate as advertised ( +/- .1gr)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting, I have a completely different opinion of the DPS3. A bit of a finicky set up (level, no airflow, clean power from a UPS strip, 30 minute warmup) but rock solid, much faster than my old RCBS, and as accurate as advertised ( +/- .1gr) </div></div>

I've got the same setup. What broke the camels back was it took 29 throws to get 9 charges the other day. Its fast but very very far from accurate.

I have Hornady, DPS 2, and RCBS. The RCBS is in a different league altogether. The DPS 2 is a little slower, and occasionally throws a heavy charge. I am returning the 2 week old Hornady to them. No matter the setup or speed selected, it only throws the desired charge 1 out of 5 times.

+1 on the chargemaster.

With any electronic scale, be sure to calibrate it before each reloading session. I also check it mid string if I'm loading numerous rounds.

My first chargemaster had keypad problems. RCBS PROMPTLY repaced it and the second one has been wonderful. Sure would hate to be without it now.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Hornady, DPS 2, and RCBS. The RCBS is in a different league altogether. The DPS 2 is a little slower, and occasionally throws a heavy charge. I am returning the 2 week old Hornady to them. No matter the setup or speed selected, it only thrbqows the desired charge 1 out of 5 times. </div></div>

Thats interesting to hear about the hornady. I had a 1 in 3 failure rate until i put the drinking straw fix in it. Now i had 2 overages in 49 that i loaded last night. So far tody i have had 6 overages in 135 that loaded today. Have you tried putting about an inch of drinking straw in there?

On the hornady increase your trickle point by .2-.4 grs and it will solve the issue. I was having overcharges with rl-15 and varget. with IMR4350 I never had any. It is finnicky with some powders but it is faster than my rcbs and it seems to be just as accurate. When it comes to overcharges it pays to read the directions which is something i never do. hold down the mode button for a couple of seconds.

Press and hold the mode button to begin trickling .2 grains sooner. Press and hold mode button again to increase trickle in .2 grain increments. Press and hold cancel to reset default settings.

The speed setting actually only changes the point at which it begins to trickle. Fast is .5grs, normal is 1gr, and slow is is 1.5 grs but can be changed as I discribed above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay away from the Lyman DPS3. Trust me its a piece of crap. I tossed mine in the trash on thursday and ordered a Chargemaster. </div></div>

wanna mail that to me? i have been looking to speed up my reloading process and throwing powder is very slow.

Yes, I have a spare UPS that I use to run the DPS3, charge stuff, run my laptop in my 'man room', etc. It wasn't that expensive in the first place and it's a spare now so why not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beale338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have a UPS in your house to run the DPS3? </div></div>

Maybe we are running different powders or something. I've used it with Varget and 748, never seen any more than a .1 over or under and those very rarely. Certainly less of a source of aggravation than my beam scale and trickler, hands down no contest game over fuhgeddaboutit. If I had to rethrow one in twenty (I don't, not nearly) it would still be a no-contest on productivity. Factor in what I paid (bought used LNIB) and I'm a happy camper. YMMV, of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting, I have a completely different opinion of the DPS3. A bit of a finicky set up (level, no airflow, clean power from a UPS strip, 30 minute warmup) but rock solid, much faster than my old RCBS, and as accurate as advertised ( +/- .1gr) </div></div>

I've got the same setup. What broke the camels back was it took 29 throws to get 9 charges the other day. Its fast but very very far from accurate.</div></div>

Varget, H4350, RL25, etc. Is all over the place on all of them.

And sure I'll mail out the DPS3, how many pieces of its shattered self do you want?

peices? wow anger issues....
i once read about a guy who took a hammer to his ar lower because he cross threaded the grip screw......

I have the chargemaster. With varget, 2or3 in 10 were over until I put a straw in the end. Now it's less than 1 in 10. Haven't tried any of the other brands for comparison.

On the Hornady change the trickle point (on the slow speed) and it will solve the overcharge issue 90% on the time even with the difficult powders. It will slow it down alittle but not much.

I have a chargemaster and a PACT. THe PACT is extremely slow, and takes forever to settle on the final weight. After the PACT stops trickling, the scale will continue to creep up for a full minute before it stabilizes. You can make a career out out of loading a box of shells. Mt chargemaster wins hands down. And RCBS customer support has always been great.

The Chargemaster has worked well for me. Once you establish a loading rythmn, it's a fast process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pappy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Chargemaster has worked well for me. Once you establish a loading rythmn, it's a fast process. </div></div>

Couldn't have said it better.

I went from a 1010 scale trickling, to a Chargemaster, to a Gen 1 Prometheus, the Chargemaster is fast and easy to use, set it up and it does the work, but since getting the Prometheus the same loads have shown a remarkable decrease in ES\SD, my 155 Scenar load went from the teens to single digits, I think the Chargemaster is a great time saver, and its accuracy is good, but not to the kernal like some think it is.

I have a RCBS and a Lyman DPS and both are relatively quick, and so-so in terms of being accurate. Neither can get close to the accuracy of a Prometheus I or II, and neither can get close to speed of the Pro II....not even in the same ballpark. I wouldnt mind the slowness of either if the accuracy was there, but .1-.2 +/- just didnt cut it for me. If I was loading plinking or hunting rounds, I wouldnt care...and, actually, dont care, cause I still use both of those for that type of loading, but for comeptition, they dont cut it. But, YMMV.

My chargemaster has never failed me and now I have two. The only thing I know for a fact is that if you have a iPhone around it will screw up the chargemaster. Also a thirty minute warmup usually get all the overthrows out.

I bought the Hornady Auto-Charge. I've had it about a month. At first it was fine. I'm loading Varget and IMR4064 mostly. Last night I couldn't get it to settle down and throw a consistent load with the 4064. First it wouldn't zero. It kept flashing from -.1gr up to .4gr. Did that for about half an hour while I was doing other things and waiting for it to "warm-up". It won't dispense until it reads .00 for a certain amount of time so it was just sitting there for extended periods of time. Then, when it finally decided to dispense, it was over every time by almost an entire grain. I had it set on "slow" because of the shape of the powder but it still gave me the same problems. I finally decided to try Varget (which really isn't much different than 4064) and it worked fine. WTF. I have other "Benchrest" powder that is more granular than Varget and it wouldn't throw it either! It only worked consistently with the Varget. Anybody had problems like this???

I wonder how much "climate" effects this thing. I keep it in my shed which gets to be close to 100 degrees during the day. But when I'm reloading I have the Air Conditioner on and the temp is closer to 75 degrees. I brought it into the house last night and I'll see how it acts. It's pretty frustrating but when it's working right I love it.

After my initial post, I read about the trick with the straw. Putting the McDonald's straw in the Hornady dispenser has made it both the fastest, and most accurate dispenser I have. Simple fix.

I have been running a Chargemaster for the last 100 or so rounds and have found it to be great. Running R15 and it has not missed a load yet. Speed is fine, by the time it has thrown the next charge I'm just finishing seating the bullet and putting it in the tray.

You can get a Chargemaster for $284 at Cabelas including shipping. They are offering shipping for $5.00 and RCBS has a $50 rebate on any order over $300 dollars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went from a 1010 scale trickling, to a Chargemaster, to a Gen 1 Prometheus, the Chargemaster is fast and easy to use, set it up and it does the work, but since getting the Prometheus the same loads have shown a remarkable decrease in ES\SD, my 155 Scenar load went from the teens to single digits, I think the Chargemaster is a great time saver, and its accuracy is good, but not to the kernal like some think it is. </div></div>

Exactly. Thats the problem with the electronic dispensers...their scales, and their inability to drop just a single kernal. Getting single kernal accuracy out of a Chargemaster, Pact, Lyman, etc is impossible....period. I know some folks will stand up and "defend" their electronic gizmo, but its just the way it is. I have 2 Lymans and a Chargemaster and while they are fast and reasonably accrurate, I know full well that I cant expect more than +/- .2 grains out of them. And when they are really flaky, who knows what they will throw. But, it is what it is, and when I use mine, I doublecheck the charge on the MXX123, which is also only so accurate...yeah, I know it says .02 grains, but you still have to account for the float. Sucks, but true.

427, as you found out, the only way to get that 1 kernal of accuracy is a really good beam scale or the Prometheus, be it Gen 1 or 2.

+1 chargemaster. I should have bought one along time ago.

I have been using the PACT for a few years now...may not be the most fastest kid on the block....but I have been real happy with it. it does keep within +/- .1 easily........

While I have not tried the chargemaster, I would love to try one right next to the pact and see for myself which I like better.