• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

electronic scale + powder dispenser

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    I will be loading .338 LM, and potentially .308, both in fairly small batches.

My buddy got an electronic scale, and tried a couple but just couldn't get them to give him consistent results. I would like to use an electronic scale powerd dispensor like the RCBS Chargemaster 1500, but wanted to feedback from folks who have used and currently use them -- specifically in regards to accuracy, and consistency. Do I have to rezero all the time? I hear thats a pain. This would be verses getting a better beam scale and continuing to do everything by hand (weigh each charge).

Re: electronic scale + powder dispenser

Everyone has a different opinion here, but mine is a big YES for the Chargemaster. Dont be tempted to try any other brands because they are cheaper, as I have done that for you already. Get the RCBS and be done with it.

My wife got me a RCBS Chargemaster for my birthday a few years ago and I absolutely love it. My dad has they Lyman version but I like mine better.

Kind of depends on your powder choices. Some powders (ball and small grain extruded) meter well enough on their own. I run a Harrell's my dump-to-dump consistency rocks with many powders. If you want to run IMR-4064, then you will want other options. For me, I can work around using large grained powders just fine.

At this point, I don't have a load worked up, so not real sure what powder will ultimatly be on the .338, so I guess I would want something that handled everything.

The chargemaster is the best option out there in the price range.

I use the chargemaster and it's very accurate and consistent, I double checked the first 100 loads against a RCBS beam scale as well as a small electronic scale and it's very consistent, I use Varget on my .308 and sometimes it goes over by .1 gr but it will tell you, you just have to watch the display. I am very pleased with it.

Another vote here for the Chargemaster. Have had mine for several years and wouldn't be without it - I load everything from pistol up to .338LM. I rezero at the start of every session, it takes less than a minute with the calibration weights provided.

Just observe the general do's and don'ts for electronic scales (keep away from mobile phones, strip lights etc) and you shouldn't have any problems.

I am using prime psb500 for weighting measurement and it have consistency in results. I think if you properly adjust and place any scale it will show consistency in measurement. I have also the same problem with my bath scale which show me different results on different places.

Last edited:
    +1 for a chargemaster, use the straw technique and custom settings based on powder charge and powder type and you are good to go.

Just about every week the same type of posts come up about e scales.

Get yourself a Scott Parker tuned beam scale if you want consistency and be done with it.

Charge master for sure.

I would suggest using the straw trick and programming it for different powders.

Every once in a while it overthrows by .1 gr, even though it says it's correct. So all I do is everytime it beeps that it's ready, I left the charge slightly and set it back down. When I see it's the same number, I'm good to go.

I have been using my RCBS Chargemaster Combo for a few years and can't live without it.

It's just like getting a Giraud...After you use one you ask yourself why didn't I buy this sooner.

I must be the only one who thinks the chargemaster is not very accurate. I double weigh and adjust most of my rounds coming out of it.

Could I recommend it? Yes, but advise of it's accuracy.

I've done the straw and reprogramming and it didn't help.

Just about every week the same type of posts come up about e scales.

Get yourself a Scott Parker tuned beam scale if you want consistency and be done with it.

Or an A&D FX-I lab balance.
    Resolution to .02 grains (individual granules of stick rifle powder), never drifts, updates as fast as you can trickle, and has a great big bright display.

A&D® Scales. FX-i Series Precision Toploading Digital Balances. We're One of the Largest A&D® Dealers By Sales Volume! Money Back Guarantee! Models FX-120i, FX-200i, FX-300i, FX-1200i, FX-2000i, FX-3000i

Last edited:
    THe Chargemaster 1500 is a excellent tool although it's accuracy is about as advertised, a bit worse to my findings.
    I use a CM 1500 to under throw a half grain, trickle with an Omega trickler onto a Sartorius Analythical balances with a 0.02 grain accuracy, thereby i can reliably measure every load to a single kernel relatively fast.
    And using the balance has showed that the accuracy of the CM is so so, it really depends on what you think is acceptable.
    Consistent charges really helps to lower your ES and SD.

The straw mod is good to help the CM dispense faster and do less overthrows.
    The reporgramming helps speed the dispensing up.
    Of course it does not affect the accuracy of the scale.

The A&D FX 120, or Hr 100 series will do the almost as good for a lot less money pretty much.

THe Chargemaster 1500 is a excellent tool although it's accuracy is about as advertised, a bit worse to my findings.
    I use a CM 1500 to under throw a half grain, trickle with an Omega trickler onto a Sartorius Analythical balances with a 0.02 grain accuracy, thereby i can reliably measure every load to a single kernel relatively fast.
    And using the balance has showed that the accuracy of the CM is so so, it really depends on what you think is acceptable.
    Consistent charges really helps to lower your ES and SD.

The straw mod is good to help the CM dispense faster and do less overthrows.
    The reporgramming helps speed the dispensing up.
    Of course it does not affect the accuracy of the scale.

The A&D FX 120, or Hr 100 series will do the almost as good for a lot less money pretty much.

This has to be the ultimate. I think you have your powder throw covered!