• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Element Optics Nexus - First Impressions

SharpsNitro

Minuteman
Jan 22, 2013
Arizona
I posted this in an exiting thread in the Rimfire forum and wanted to give it standalone one here.

Element Optics (https://element-optics.com/) is a new scope brand backed by FX Airguns. The Nexus is their flagship scope, it’s made in Japan and is a 5-20x50mm design. It’s also FFP and is available in mrad or moa with two reticle options for each. The scope sits at $1500 and is designed for use on piston Airguns up to 50bmg.

The postman stopped by this morning and handed me an Element Optics Nexus. I had been bouncing around between the Optika6, Nexus and NX8. So far I’m impressed with the scope. I bought the mrad version with the APR-1D reticle.

I’ve gotten it mounted on the Brocock Bantam Sniper PCP (.177cal) and zeroed at 30yds. The scope is made in Japan and is a quality instrument, fit and finish are top notch and all of the controls have a good feel. The magnification ring is on the stiff side but not too bad, magnification increases CW which I found interesting as I don’t think I’ve had a scope that does that. Turrets have a good feel and distinct clicks, they feel very similar to the K312 and K624 turrets. Zero stop is easy to set and the rev indicator is marked out as the turrets translate up and down as you move them. Parallax turns smooth and easy, it goes down to 10yds (primary feature for me since its on an air rifle). Illumination knob is pretty stiff but distinct with off positions between each level.

Optical quality is very good, the lenses are clear, bright and resolve detail well. So far I’ve only been able to use it in bright daylight but so far it compares well to scopes in this price range and above. It’s easy to get behind with generous eye relief at low power and tightens up as you increase magnification (no surprises), it’s still fairly easy to get behind at max power. I do see a thin yellowish ring around the perimeter but otherwise have not noticed any other optical effects. Parallax is more sensitive than I am used to but I suspect it’s part of the design that gets it down to 10yds (maybe ILya will chime in when He gets some time on his Nexus).

The reticle is a nice tree design with floating dot. It is thin but usable at 5x and not too thick at 20x. The illumination is daylight bright at the higher settings so you can t to help at low power and dark backgrounds (and/or low light).

Overall, I’m happy with my choice. We is on par with the NX8 2.5-20 and length is a little over an inch and a half longer. I think the scope should do well, it adds a good option for people that need the close parallax and while the 4x erector isn’t sexy these days it should do fine on a centerfire rifle.

I’ll post more thoughts later as I get to work with it more in more varied conditions.

Some more thoughts and info.

Low light performance is good and the reticle illumination has good range for low light and daylight use. The zero stop is easy to set and allows you to set no clicks below zero or as many as you like. I’m liking the scope very much and think it’s a great value. I have not had a chance to run any tracking tests yet but plan to do so. The reticle pics are the best I was able to get with the cell phone.

edit: I don’t know why some photos got rotated, they were all correctly oriented before the upload.

Attachments

• DF5FF1D4-AE66-4C32-8950-EF53726B22AC.jpeg
    DF5FF1D4-AE66-4C32-8950-EF53726B22AC.jpeg
    591.8 KB · Views: 365
  • DFF65234-6B29-43AA-B562-DD6E5E8B70BF.jpeg
    DFF65234-6B29-43AA-B562-DD6E5E8B70BF.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 69117B1E-FEEB-4DE7-8585-76CEABEF3F56.jpeg
    69117B1E-FEEB-4DE7-8585-76CEABEF3F56.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 39917C75-75E1-41FC-9BD4-648A0699E5A7.jpeg
    39917C75-75E1-41FC-9BD4-648A0699E5A7.jpeg
    551.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 2EA75565-DDD0-4E7A-903C-3D63BD4DB119.jpeg
    2EA75565-DDD0-4E7A-903C-3D63BD4DB119.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 398
  • E8C3BCE2-749F-4F03-B097-C208EA57275F.jpeg
    E8C3BCE2-749F-4F03-B097-C208EA57275F.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 413
  • DDDFDC05-417B-4118-818E-7D21841983F8.jpeg
    DDDFDC05-417B-4118-818E-7D21841983F8.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 481
  • A68DA54C-EAFA-4F96-927B-D1CE5BC4DD63.jpeg
    A68DA54C-EAFA-4F96-927B-D1CE5BC4DD63.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 384
I’m still liking it. With the summer heat I haven’t shot much paper but that should change as it starts to cool off. Most of the shooting has been on cottontails and chipmunks at 5-25yds. It’s held zero and tracks well in the range I’ve been using it ~4mils. The really close shots are hard due to needing exact yardage, the rifle shoots pretty flat from 15-40yds (30yd zero) but once you get around 10yds or less the elevation starts to skyrocket.

I’m very intrigued by this scope. Reminds me of one my favorite scopes, with SWFA 5-20HD. It’s lighter, has a tree reticle, focus’s down to 10 yards and has a zero stop. The one unknown is how it will hold up and track. Something I feel very confident in the SWFA will do. I appreciate you sharing your experience and plan to see how these hold up over time.

I’m very intrigued by this scope. Reminds me of one my favorite scopes, with SWFA 5-20HD. It’s lighter, has a tree reticle, focus’s down to 10 yards and has a zero stop. The one unknown is how it will hold up and track. Something I feel very confident in the SWFA will do. I appreciate you sharing your experience and plan to see how these hold up over time.

I have one of these and liked it enough to add it to my list of recommendations.

It is kinda like the SWFA 5-20x with the eyepiece design (in terms of optics) of the EOTech Vudu.

ILya

How are you finding the illumination on the higher settings? I'm getting some bleeding into the numbers which are supposed to remain solid black I believe. Otherwise pretty impressed so far with the build quality and optics.

Is anyone else running the Element Nexus and if so how are you liking it.

Its awesome. Glass is great. Parralax is very forgiving and the clicks on the turrets are positive with no backlash. Great value at the price point.

I'm currently writing a review on one. Cameraland sent me a 5-20 Nexus. I have been out 3 times so far testing. Tracking testing is spot on and great glass. I hope to wrap up the review this week. I even used targets from boxtobenchprecision to test the tracking. Absolutely love the scope.

I'm currently writing a review on one. Cameraland sent me a 5-20 Nexus. I have been out 3 times so far testing. Tracking testing is spot on and great glass. I hope to wrap up the review this week. I even used targets from boxtobenchprecision to test the tracking. Absolutely love the scope.
I will be looking forward to your review.

Better get one now before the word gets out. I see these scopes going fast and prices going up when the demand increases. I want to get another one.

So far I have the optic zeroed at 50 yards. I have been shooting targets at 50,100,150, and 200. I keep jumping between all the distances and it returns to zero each time. I'm using a Vudoo V22 for testing. Centerfire ammo would be too expensive to test these days.
Positives: excellent turrets, tool free turret resets, zero stop is simple, great glass
Negatives: parallax ring is tight, throw lever could use more adjustment holes
I really can't bitch about the scope. Ill post pictures and a review soon. Its a solid buy.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
I also would put this scope on my Vudoo if i get it.

I tested tracking up to 38MOA. Dead on no issues. I was able to return to zero each and and it was dead on.

Been looking for an PCP scope. Have a NF 5-25 ATACR on now. Too much, parallax won’t shorten up enough.
Been debating between NX8, Cronus, an Nexus think I made my mind up.

Nexus it will be.

Well i called Cameraland today and ordered an Element Nexus i could not pass up on the sale they are running.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Well i called Cameraland today and ordered an Element Nexus i could not pass up on the sale they are running.

Good choice. I use mine all the time:

ILya

Made my first trip to the range with the Nexus and I was very impressed. Cameraland gave me a very good price with the sale they had and I just wanted to thank everyone for there input on the scope.

I just purchased another Element Nexus today from camerland with the sale they are running.The Nexus is an outstanding scope for the money they are going for.Thanks for the great price on this scope Doug.

Anymore updates and feedback on these now that they have been out in the wild for well over a year?

Mine is still living on my Brocock PCP rifle. No regrets on it, I don’t think there is a better scope out there for the money that can focus down to 10yds.

Yup holding up great. I have no complaints what so ever. I'd like to see more power in a new model thats about it.

Mine is on a 223AI bolt rifle from TS Customs.

Last edited:
Almost all the reviews I've seen on these, they have been on an airgun or a 22 rimfire.

Has anyone put this on something big, like a .300 magnum and how did it go?

I posted this in an exiting thread in the Rimfire forum and wanted to give it standalone one here.

Element Optics (https://element-optics.com/) is a new scope brand backed by FX Airguns. The Nexus is their flagship scope, it’s made in Japan and is a 5-20x50mm design. It’s also FFP and is available in mrad or moa with two reticle options for each. The scope sits at $1500 and is designed for use on piston Airguns up to 50bmg.
Almost all the reviews I've seen on these, they have been on an airgun or a 22 rimfire.

Has anyone put this on something big, like a .300 magnum and how did it go?
I know this is late but I dug this up again because I am interested in getting one for my 17HMR.
See quoted message. Whether anyone has put it on something like a 50bmg or a 300mag, who knows. I think overall people really like the scope for the price. If koshkin is using it and its holding up and working like a champ, that seems to have some pretty decent weight behind it since he is one of the go to's for scope recommendations/reviews.