• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eley Ammo

MarkCZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
Eley ammo shooters. What are you shooting for long range shooting? I am shooting Eley Club now, may need a step up. Is Eley Match the next step up, then Tenex.

Is Team and Practice 100, just Tenex that does test as well. Both are flat nose.
My understanding is that all the flat nose is the same and it’s sorted by measurement, weight, and grouping and is packaged accordingly. I forgot about the practice 100, you don’t see that as much but that is bottom of the food chain.

I don't think the EPS tip (flat nose with a tit) is intended for "long range"...I could be wrong.

Try Eley Edge. I was using Match and then tried Edge and it shot the exact same for less money. They do just fine for long range as does Match. Have shot thousands of both in matches.

Reactions: Hardpan
What "your" barrel likes.

Have shot a bunch of Eley over the years and mine liked yellow the best. Black was literally horrible. Red was OK.

Lapua Center X has been the most accurate over the years in "my" rifle from 50-300 yards.

Reactions: JKW70
My rifle loves the eley match. I buy a couple of boxes of several lots and lot test it it’s usually extremely obvious which lot is best. I had it tested at lapua and bought a case of Midas it liked best and it is still not as good as the eley for me. Feeding has been my issue with the eley but hopefully I am getting that resolved now.

Myself and a few local shooters find Black Box Match the best. Oddly Tenex is not as accurate in our rifles.

Myself and a few local shooters find Black Box Match the best. Oddly Tenex is not as accurate in our rifles.
At the risk of repeating myself from another thread, I'll say it again. It's all about the odds. Odds of getting flyers are supposed to go down as the grade of Eley goes up. It is strange that you find 10X not to be as accurate, since BB and 10x is the same ammo only separated by their magical grading system. They produce millions of rounds of BB and 10X every year. You tell me how it's possible to sample enough of this ammo to determine one is better than another! I have found it just as easy to find a good lot of BB as 10X. So why pay more? I will also say I have very little experience with any Eley below the BB level.

The Edge I linked above also comes in a black box and match ammo. Also has black brass which is different. Chrono numbers were almost identical to Match.

Reactions: MajorD
I believe the edge has been discontinued.I have some and it shoots very well

That would suck if it did as it was a good option for less money than Match.

Edge is no more. Killough had some in a few weeks ago, apparently it was the last of that line, and they are sold out now.

Reactions: Rob01
My CZ457 likes eley team. Fairly consistent for me.

I have tried - Match, Club, Target, Force - Match and Force work well in my CZ457. That aside - I try everything I can just to get a feel for what my rifle can do with other ammo brands.

That is the same exact situation with my rifle . With the right lot of match I can consistently shoot 4 " , 20 shot groups at 300 yards.

Reactions: BisSilent
I have had good results with Tenex and Match 252 yard 20 shot group.

Attachments

• 20220901_180644.jpg
    20220901_180644.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 26
Question: Do you think that every cartridge that comes off the assembly line
is identical in every way to every other cartridge made in that batch? :unsure:

If you do, then how do you explain muzzle velocity variations?

If you were to weigh every cartridge and it's components, do you think they all have the same weights?

Do you think that factory lot grading using statistical analysis
of small portions of a multi thousand cartridge run
is truly effective in determining the quality of each and every one
of those assembly line produced cartridges?

How do you explain poor results with Tenex and great results with Team?
Both are made from the same components on the same assembly line
so how does the rifle like Team and not Tenex?
Did someone at the factory screw up and use the wrong boxes
and put Tenex in the Team boxes and Team in the Tenex boxes?

Or is factory lot grading not as effective as they'd like us to believe?
Is it simply a method to increase profits by pointing to the limited testing
to justify the increased cost per cartridge?

My rifle likes Team, hates Tenex, really?
Same factory, same assembly line, same components, same technicians,
yet y'er rifle can differentiate between the two labels?

Or is it more likely that we are participating in the rimfire assembly line lottery?
Some batches are better than others. Some reek.

Ya' pays y'er money, ya' takes y'er chances, right? :D

For long distance shooting, you require tight muzzle velocities
and uniformly well made cartridges to obtain predictable trajectories.
Anything less and there will be vertical spread and defect caused strays. :(

I don't think the EPS tip (flat nose with a tit) is intended for "long range"...I could be wrong.
It may not be intended for long range but the BC of the EPS in normally higher for me then lapua in my 12 twist