• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elite Iron bipods

I guess I should say it isn't ideal with the desert tech. Some may run it that way.

Yes,.... IMO there is no comparison. I sold the 5H and kept the EI....if that answers your question

Can you tell us why there is no comparison? I have a 5H and am very seriously considering jumping into the Elite Iron. All I hear is that it is better. I would like to know specifics. I watched the video that Frank posted. Anything you can tell me would be most appreciated.

Just ordered aluminum, no pan, standard height for my DT. I have 22" and 24" barrels. EI told me it shouldn't be a problem but I'm thinking the 22" brake will be partially inside th EI ring and I won't use it that way.

Reactions: Bradu
Pulled the trigger myself just now...hope the hype is true. I like my 5H but it is not very flexible...hope this fits the bill

PS,

I do recommend the NO PAN, I am not a fan of the Panning version.

I bought the NO panning....I will run it against the 5H and make a choice. There is a lot I don't like about the 5H but for prone, its wide stance is really nice.

I have the steel version, I have not seen an issue with the aluminum and may myself go that direction moving forward

Which of the leg height options did you find worked best for you?
Does the same height offset option work with both the AX and the AXMC?

Thanks.

Which of the leg height options did you find worked best for you?
Does the same height offset option work with both the AX and the AXMC?

Thanks.

The gentleman that I spoke to in the shop was super helpful. He told me the following:

1. Steel version is for very large ELR type rifles - Large caliber. For an AT, AX, AXMC it is unnecessary and he would not recommend it.
  2. Short leg version is designed mostly for bench top. He said over 90% of his customers buy the standard leg height.
I took his advice. It was $650 including the AT spigot interface system.

Nick, how is the at spigot? Tight?

I just ordered it so don't know. The AI spigot system is the weak link of the rifle. There is poor consistency. Therefore, the ATLAS spigot solution is hit or miss. When I talked to the guy at Elite Iron, he told me about their approach and it sounds like a winner. The spigot portion has a separate screw to tighten it snugly into the AI chassis. Works differently than the knob on the ATLAS mount. The other end of the spigot has piece of picatinny rail that interfaces to their picatinny rail ring mount. He said there was no other way to do it and get it tight.

After living with the how loose the ATLAS solution is, even though it is not their fault, I am ready to try something different.

Thanks for the info. Should’ve read the dates on your post. I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on one but wasn’t sure of the best way to mount it and didn’t want it to be loose. Even considered mounting it to a night vision bridge with their pic rail adapter but it seems like they have it figured out. Also sounds like it will be farther forward than a atlas with the spigot adapter.

Not sure it will be further forward but it is hard to tell from a verbal description. I have been on the fence for a while but I felt like I had to try it. The person at EI swore it was rock solid.

I’m in the same position too, that’s a lot of coin for a bipod but from what I’ve read it’s worth it. Good luck, hope you like it and a pic would be great when you get it set up!

I'll be mounting it on an AXMC for starters, so I'm assuming just bolt it onto a short rail section on the end & get the standard rail mount attachment?

Can you tell us why there is no comparison? I have a 5H and am very seriously considering jumping into the Elite Iron. All I hear is that it is better. I would like to know specifics. I watched the video that Frank posted. Anything you can tell me would be most appreciated.

Yes... To start with a whole bunch of words with the letter "S" come to mind when describing the EI bipod IMO---stabile, strong, steady, smooth, and sexy. For comparative I have the standard height in steel running on an AXMC. Right out of the box feeling this bipod you can tell it's quality made. From there, the geometry of the design lends itself to stability. All bipods, I visually draw a triangle in my mind, of the rifle bore in relationship to the bipod triangle (bipod legs-sides of triangle, ground-base of triangle). Pretty much the majority of bipods, the bore is sitting on the top peak of the triangle.
Whereas with the EI, the bore is inside that triangle--which exponentiates stability. The 5H also has the bore placement within this triangle, but in order to create that geometry they made the long arc raceway. This is unique to the 5H, which IMO feels like having a Texas long horn strapped onto your rail. So, stability wise, in this sense is very similar between the two--due to geometrical design. When carrying the rifle with legs in, I much prefer the EI. The EI bipod matches the profile of the rail/rifle much better. Contrastingly different to the 5H and having to watch out for the Texas long horn on the rifle when carrying and placing in truck.
Next is canting. The EI has an extremely smooth raceway that feels like glass.
This makes finite canting, to obtain your natural point of aim, a breeze. I can cant smoothly and finitely whether I am loading the bipod or not. Even with tension from the tensioning screw, the canting ability remains smooth and controllable. [On a side note the tensioner is finite--easy finger adjustments take me from no tension on canting to locked out]. Comparatively, I found the 5H much more difficult to achieve a relaxed NPA. I am not an engineer, but it appears to me that they are using a friction plate design to double serve as part of the the raceway for canting and tensioning the canting. I found finite canting to be much more difficult, more often choppey in nature vs. smooth like glass. Consequenctially, I more often found myself loading/unloading the 5H, playing with tensioner, or just saying "fuck it" to end up muscling my NPA.
The 5H had panning ability, which my EI did not (I have the non-panning version). Otherwise, all other functions of the 5H were Atlas quality and worked as advertised. Don't get me wrong, I love Atlas products and think they do quality manufacturing--I have a couple of PSR's which I love. In this case, I personally found the EI to be superior for the reasons stated above. YMMV.
Currently, I'm testing out Tubb's non-symmetrical bipod, which might turn out to be my all time favorite--time will tell.

Which spacing height for the ring / barrel offset did you go with?

Talking with Dale and Paul at EI, I told them just send me the mount that I need so I'm GTG for my AXMC....so dunno. I'll look when I get home, so I can make sure I relay the correct info.

Talking with Dale and Paul at EI, I told them just send me the mount that I need so I'm GTG for my AXMC....so dunno. I'll look when I get home, so I can make sure I relay the correct info.

This is why I called and ordered versus ordering on-line. Spoke with Paul, couldn't remember the name, and he told me not to worry about the measurements and he would get me what I needed for my AT

Reactions: Squibbler
Yes... To start with a whole bunch of words with the letter "S" come to mind when describing the EI bipod IMO---stabile, strong, steady, smooth, and sexy. For comparative I have the standard height in steel running on an AXMC. Right out of the box feeling this bipod you can tell it's quality made. From there, the geometry of the design lends itself to stability. All bipods, I visually draw a triangle in my mind, of the rifle bore in relationship to the bipod triangle (bipod legs-sides of triangle, ground-base of triangle). Pretty much the majority of bipods, the bore is sitting on the top peak of the triangle.

Whereas with the EI, the bore is inside that triangle--which exponentiates stability. The 5H also has the bore placement within this triangle, but in order to create that geometry they made the long arc raceway. This is unique to the 5H, which IMO feels like having a Texas long horn strapped onto your rail. So, stability wise, in this sense is very similar between the two--due to geometrical design. When carrying the rifle with legs in, I much prefer the EI. The EI bipod matches the profile of the rail/rifle much better. Contrastingly different to the 5H and having to watch out for the Texas long horn on the rifle when carrying and placing in truck.

Next is canting. The EI has an extremely smooth raceway that feels like glass.
This makes finite canting, to obtain your natural point of aim, a breeze. I can cant smoothly and finitely whether I am loading the bipod or not. Even with tension from the tensioning screw, the canting ability remains smooth and controllable. [On a side note the tensioner is finite--easy finger adjustments take me from no tension on canting to locked out]. Comparatively, I found the 5H much more difficult to achieve a relaxed NPA. I am not an engineer, but it appears to me that they are using a friction plate design to double serve as part of the the raceway for canting and tensioning the canting. I found finite canting to be much more difficult, more often choppey in nature vs. smooth like glass. Consequenctially, I more often found myself loading/unloading the 5H, playing with tensioner, or just saying "fuck it" to end up muscling my NPA.

The 5H had panning ability, which my EI did not (I have the non-panning version). Otherwise, all other functions of the 5H were Atlas quality and worked as advertised. Don't get me wrong, I love Atlas products and think they do quality manufacturing--I have a couple of PSR's which I love. In this case, I personally found the EI to be superior for the reasons stated above. YMMV.

Currently, I'm testing out Tubb's non-symmetrical bipod, which might turn out to be my all time favorite--time will tell.

Triangle of Stability, in my training we talk about this:

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.16.28 AM.png

Which spacing height for the ring / barrel offset did you go with?

Here is the description of the bipod on the receipt, which doesn't help for which option to order online. They must have added more options since I ordered mine. I'd talk to Paul at EI

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_125602.jpg
    IMG_20181011_125602.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 152
It is very sturdy. Not sure if it is as sturdy as it would be on an AX but it is sturdier than I though it would be. You can tighten the bolt inside the spigot pretty hard to make it sturdy.
It is far forward. Good for marksmanship but a little hard to reach and make final adjustments if needed. Ill take the marksmanship any day.

Yes they are seperate peices. The adapter accommodates the standard length/offset bipod that could be used on any other platform.
Here is a photo of just the adapter.
Screenshot_20181010-181402_Gallery.jpg

@goldenbear926

Thanks for the answers. Is the whole thing one piece or is the spigot interface a separate piece? If it is separate pice, how does it attach to the bipod.

Promise no more questions...

Thanks in advance

Once they return my call, I'll be hopefully ordering one from them for my AXMC and then just wait for it to stop raining every weekend so I can hit the range with it.

I’m in the same position too, that’s a lot of coin for a bipod but from what I’ve read it’s worth it. Good luck, hope you like it and a pic would be great when you get it set up!
I was just like you. If you call and talk to them you will definitely gain knowledge specific to your application. It is a lot of coin. I was between a tripod set up with hog saddle vs the Elite Iron bipod. I decided I would use the bipod more and bought one. Best decision I ever made. Take the time to practice with it.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
I have the atlas 5H and a few buddies have the EI, after a lot of time behind both, the EI is head and shoulders above the 5H. For me, the EI has less movement in the entire system and I don’t have to get into it (load the bipod) near as much as my 5H. It’s just easier to mange the rifle between the 2 for me. Also, it’s much easier adjusting the EI to level the reticle than the 5H, and once adjusted, lock it down and it doesn’t move at all. Though, it does seem to get in the way a bit more on barricades, tank traps, and such.

They gave me a call back & I ordered the standard steel model.
Now to wait for it to come in so I can play with it.

I was really tempted to go with the panning model as they seem to say it works great, but based on Frank's statements I went with the standard fixed model. I guess if I need the panning model later, I can just get a second one.

Has anyone tried mounting the bipod using a top rail? Any known issues?

I'm looking to put an ARCA rail on the bottom of my fore end, so that leaves my top rail available.

I have two of them, one on a DT HTI in 50 BMG with a 40" barrel and a 35" Cheytac barrel - I would never ever use another bipod for those rifles. LRA is close if they even still make them, but the legs are too short. I also have one on my DT SRS which I got to help with 338 LM recoil. It is an unparalleled product, and it's expensive (in the steel model) because it's so difficult to manufacture. When I spoke with Dale Poling at SHOT several years back he said they don't even make much $$$ profit on them, and was working on making versions of other materials to save cost. Looks like they have done that now with the aluminum models. It is a SUPERB product.

Attachments

• IMG_1717 (1).JPG
    IMG_1717 (1).JPG
    711.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    793.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1282 (1).JPG
    IMG_1282 (1).JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 230
Just ordered mine for an AIAT today. Is it worth mentioning to them that my AT was made in 2017? Not sure what that means as far as the spigot mount needed.

Got mine 4 days ago but I was on a business trip. Just mounted it to my AT...all I can say is WOW. It is rock SOLID. Can't wait for the range day on Saturday
Same I just mounted mine to my AT about 30 minutes ago. It seems fantastic, can't wait to shoot with it this weekend.

One thing I already noticed from dry-fire is that it's pretty hard to knock the rifle off-level with the EliteIron because of how the barrel is below the apex of the legs. Also the bipod just looks and feels like a higher quality product than I've used up to this point (all Harris bipods).

Last edited:
I've had limited experience with both along with an LRA f class and I like the elite iron better. Main reason I didn't go with the Elite iron is because it won't work with the short barrels in a desert tech because of the brake at the end of the handguard.

So what bipod did you have to use with the Desert Tech. You must have a short one. Mine is the the SRS. and 26 inch 338 barrel.

So what bipod did you have to use with the Desert Tech. You must have a short one. Mine is the the SRS. and 26 inch 338 barrel.

I've decided to run the LRA f class bipod on it. I like it the best out of the ones i have tried so far. If i didn't have several of the barrels that are flush with the end of the handguard then I would run the elite iron.