• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elk Hunt - 300 WM

Hearing loss is cumulative, one loud thing doesn't cancel another out, it adds to it.
Yes i know but to me the radial brakes are not very loud no different than normal now like my shockwave brake i will not try that with out ear or just put my other brake on even though it wont match up haha

Ive shot elk with 270 300 win mag 6.5-06 ackley 28 nosler 7mm stw i might be missing some and the one thing i can tell you is the bullet that is used is key and where you hit with that bullet. They were all killed from 100 yards to 800 yards. I can say the 300 win mag was one of my favorites but 28 nosler was great to. The 6.5 i had stacked alot of game with 140 sst most of my life

Reactions: HogsLife
Not my rule just know them and thats what they say. They really like 30 cals they say they get alot of hunters that cant shoot and the 30 cals help with bad hits. But there bulls are $10,000 and up i think the avg was 350 a few years ago. But i hunt with 7s no issues hunted with 300 win mag no issues 6.5 alot no issues
I know it’s not your deal man. Shit I pay u 10k to kill and elk., If I decide to run out there naked and stab it to death you had better let me .😂

Last edited:
Who's going to build this rifle in 3 months? No one. You're off the rack, or an as-built only at this point.

I'm going at the end of September with a bow tag. If I can drop one with an arrow then most of the "advice" in this thread is bullshit. A .308 you can shoot and hit the boiler house with is far, far better than some new wildcat you can't hit shit with. I seriously doubt that a guide is going to let some East Coast hunter, whose never been elk hunting, even shoot 500 yards. I certainly wouldn't. The .308 is most likely fine at the distances you'll be allowed to shoot. You're not going to be shooting across a drainage. If he doesn't put you on the elk it's not happening.

Remember, I'm going with a bow and hope to get one shot at a bull under 40 yards. What I wouldn't give to have a .308 when/if I get my chance.
It's 50-50. Not sure where you are going exactly, so I can only talk about my area. Hunting during bow season is miles easier than during rifle season. Both because the weather is better, and because it is during the elk rut, so you can get up close in a way that is nearly impossible during rifle. But of course, you have to because you have a bow. 40 yards is a significant kill shot on a bull with a bow. Not out of the question at all, but a good bit harder than 20, as you know, if you have been practicing.

But bow elk hunting has to be the most enjoyable hunt I know. Beautiful time of year, great sounds and smells etc. If you are in MT, you probably can take a cow or bull during archery, but check the rules in your area. Any elk, male or female, with a bow is a trophy. Good luck.

And yeah, pretty sure most guys don't want you shooting over 500 yards on their reputation.

I hunt elk in 4th season good luck getting close to them where i hunt haha. Hunting winter grounds big timber ridges but big big open country. Each there own bow hunters do there thing some guys dont want to shoot over 300 yards ect. Do you and enjoy your hunts some people shoot far no issue there.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I hunt elk in 4th season good luck getting close to them where i hunt haha. Hunting winter grounds big timber ridges but big big open country. Each there own bow hunters do there thing some guys dont want to shoot over 300 yards ect. Do you and enjoy your hunts some people shoot far no issue there.
💯

Been hunting elk in Montana for 35 years. First 3 were taken with a 22-250 all relatively close 65-250 yards. 3rd one took three rounds to bring down. Make a good shot and they go down. Last 30 Years have been primarily with a 7mm rem mag. As better components come along the better this round has become. Much better now than with the ol core-locs although they definitely put meat on the table. Have single punched them from 35 yrds to 727 with the 7mm and it does great. I have had two that just seemed like they won’t go down even with good lung shots they can be tough animals so I personally at this point would only hunt elk with a magnum cartridge. Most of the areas I have hunted you really shouldn’t have to take a shot much over 400 yrds. It’s low country hunts in hayfield areas where it is tough to get close. Those days the 338 LM gets the fun. My son has now taken 4 with a 7mm-08 works great but I limit him to under 350 yrds. Most guides won’t let you take a longer shot. 300-350 max especially your first time with them and they have a chance to judge your marksmanship. Give them a call and find out what the typical ranges are and go from there. Have fun

Oh and I am currently working on a 28 Nosler build👍 Just for elk and bear
Nice!

I decided to bump the kiddo up from the 6.5PRC I was planning, to the 7 Sherman Short mag for her Idaho deer / elk rifle and I’m building a 7 Sherman Max for mine. I think the 7mm family has a much better variety of bullet choices for larger game than the 6.5 family.

Nice!

I decided to bump the kiddo up from the 6.5PRC I was planning, to the 7 Sherman Short mag for her Idaho deer / elk rifle and I’m building a 7 Sherman Max for mine. I think the 7mm family has a much better variety of bullet choices for larger game than the 6.5 family.
So you did decide to go 7 max? Let me know how it turns out

Reactions: HogsLife
One thing to think about is crowds.
More so on diy hunts.
If you don't put the animal down right there, there's a possibility another hunter will be putting his tag on your elk.
So by definition a magnum is the right choice.
Also make every round count and don't stop till he's down!
Also factor in the adrenaline rush, not only for you but the animal!
Once tha adrenaline is in full swing an elk can cover a lot of ground even with a good shot!
Long shots are usually adrenaline free for the elk. Just sayin

True, but I'm always trying to figure out how they know to get scared exactly 12 hours before the opening of rifle season.
Real talk right there. Opening day comes and it’s straight crickets… lol

Perhaps it is just your blatant attempts at sarcasm and general "I know everything" attitude as the "Janitor of the Hide". Alright hero, I'll play... I've got two builders lined up right now... rifle can be done in two weeks and three weeks for the other (because of travel time). Check to you.

Congratulations on your "five built rifles". Want to measure dick size now too?

Paul @ evolved has 57 proof carbon fiber blanks in stock right now... fairly common build specs for several hunting calibers. https://evolvedballistics.com/barrels/bolt-action-carbon-fiber/

I don't buy "custom" rifles that are "in stock".

Maybe if you sit down, shut up, and stay in your corner for a few rather than trying to talk about something you clearly know nothing of - but think that you do - you might find the OP has an opportunity to get himself a custom rifle with time to shoot it and prepare for an elk hunt.
Actually, @Ghost1941 ‘s comments were very hurtful and did have me a little worried, because I’d never heard of Evolved Balistics and he certainly could have said he’d build a custom hunting rifle in two weeks. I would have guessed it would be junk if he made that promise, but he could have promised it. If it was as good as I would expect based on his pricing that would have been shocking and amazing in 2021 compared to all the other notable builders who can build something with that much percision.

He got right back to me after the weekend, and it looks like he builds really nice stuff, although his claims on his website are silly and over the top. 4-5 months sounds about right for someone who builds precise rifles you can depend upon. The guys who are good are in demand are backlogged. That’s just the nature of it.

There is no “right now” custom rifle that’s worth a dam unless it’s one the guy has already built and the commissioner welched or it’s just a popular and good mix of components. There is nothing wrong with buying an already built rifle especially if you don’t know exactly what you want, and if this is your first elk hunt that’s likely the case.

In fact, most good builders have their own preferences.

XXXXX, (Redacted to protect the guilty)
Custom rifles are approx.. 4-5 months right now. We do have quite a few in stock at this time.
Paul Butler | Owner
Evolved Ballistics, L.L.C.
126 County Road 432
Suite 300
Hondo, TX 78861
Cell: (210) 378-8488
Email: [email protected]

So disappointed in “The Resident Gun Guy“ on Sniper’s Hide (he’s not new either) lying on his buddy Paul. Nemisis always follows hubris. Humility may be the the most important virtue there is.

I was not saying I have five custom rifles to chest thump. I was just saying it because I’ve been through the build process five times, and it doesn’t happen that quickly even under ideal circumstances. Comming out of this pandemic is not ideal. I remember being shocked and pissed that the paint job I chose for a Manners stock was going to add two weeks to a GAP build. Bespoke means more money and more time. Eventually you either learn to roll with it or you don’t.

The advice I gave was solid. Shoot the .308 you know you can shoot. If you love elk hunting and want to make it annual then build the rifle you really want for next year.

No need to build a 7.5lb 300 WM they’re for sale in classified sections all over the internet, usually at a heavy discount. Turns out those rifles are a lot more fun to shoot on paper than IRL.

Yep, my step dad gave me one when I was 17, I probably weighed 125 lbs and the scope had little eye relief. Developed a big flinch shooting it due to the recoil and the scope hitting me in the eye. Traded it for a shotgun and some cash to a guy I did construction work with in the summers. He thought it was great but he was 100 lbs heavier and 5 inches taller.

FWIW, I've taken two New Mexico elk over the past two years with a Bergara B14 Hunter in 30-06. It's relatively light (~7.5 lbs without optic), decent accuracy, and eats up both factory ammo and my hand loads. Have shot my last two elk with off-the-shelf Federal PowerShok 180 SP at about 2700 fps. Now hand-loading Barnes 165 TTSX up around 2900 fps.

My 2019 elk was taken at about 295 yds. Last year's was around 85 yards. Both traveled less than 50 yards after impact with decent penetration and weight retention. Switching to the Barnes to get a little more velocity and better weight retention.

I keep an old Winchester Model 70 pre-64 in the truck as a backup, though I haven't had to rely on it yet.

I guess my $0.02 is to simply share that the good ol' American classic 30-06 has been successfully harvesting north american game for years. While you'd likely experience success with a custom gun, I've done just fine with a <$1k factory offering. Good luck and hope you fill your tag!

Reactions: Ghost1941
Actually, @Ghost1941 ‘s comments were very hurtful and did have me a little worried, because I’d never heard of Evolved Balistics and he certainly could have said he’d build a custom hunting rifle in two weeks. I would have guessed it would be junk if he made that promise, but he could have promised it. If it was as good as I would expect based on his pricing that would have been shocking and amazing in 2021 compared to all the other notable builders who can build something with that much percision.

He got right back to me after the weekend, and it looks like he builds really nice stuff, although his claims on his website are silly and over the top. 4-5 months sounds about right for someone who builds precise rifles you can depend upon. The guys who are good are in demand are backlogged. That’s just the nature of it.

There is no “right now” custom rifle that’s worth a dam unless it’s one the guy has already built and the commissioner welched or it’s just a popular and good mix of components. There is nothing wrong with buying an already built rifle especially if you don’t know exactly what you want, and if this is your first elk hunt that’s likely the case.

In fact, most good builders have their own preferences.

So disappointed in “The Resident Gun Guy“ on Sniper’s Hide (he’s not new either) lying on his buddy Paul. Nemisis always follows hubris. Humility may be the the most important virtue there is.

I was not saying I have five custom rifles to chest thump. I was just saying it because I’ve been through the build process five times, and it doesn’t happen that quickly even under ideal circumstances. Comming out of this pandemic is not ideal. I remember being shocked and pissed that the paint job I chose for a Manners stock was going to add two weeks to a GAP build. Bespoke means more money and more time. Eventually you either learn to roll with it or you don’t.

The advice I gave was solid. Shoot the .308 you know you can shoot. If you love elk hunting and want to make it annual then build the rifle you really want for next year.
Quite the hard on for me huh?

I didn't say anything about Evolved Ballistics building a rifle in two weeks. I stated he had barrels in stock, because once again... you made a false claim "with any components he has on hand, which are pretty scarce at this point."

And Paul isn't my "buddy"... I buy barrels from him because he always has had them in stock when I need them. I wouldn't expect anything less from him in getting back to you, he's always been very responsive.

"I was just saying it because I’ve been through the build process five times, and it doesn’t happen that quickly even under ideal circumstances."

Congratulations. You're wrong again. I just picked three rifles up that took less than 3 weeks.

At this point... just give it up. You're talking out of your ass. Multiple people have now stated they have smiths that can and will build a rifle in less than what you're claiming. Again... good chance it's because your shit attitude and false claims that you know everything.

People can read. You’re an arrogant, ignorant, dumbass, and your boy says 4-5 months, not two to three weeks. Checkmate motherfucker.
Clearly you cannot read. Evolved Ballistics does not build rifles for me nor did I suggest that he could...

I'm done with you. It is evident that you are autistic. Have a great day and good luck with your 3 month builds. 👍

OP. FWIW, I suggest, as many others have, that you not use a .308 gas gun. Get yourself a magnum and ensure you put the animal down as fast and clean as possible, regardless of distance you're shooting at. An elk running 100 yards after the shot can be the difference between recovering in the open or 200' down in North slope timber.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210713-195653_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713-195653_onX Hunt.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 41
Yes you are done. Paul doesn’t appreciate you telling everyone on SH he can deliver a custom rifle in two week either. That he has barrels on hand is irrelevant.

My 300 wsm / 178 EDLX at 3,015 fps / 200 yards / Elk dropped like lighting hit it and never flinched.
Not a monster. But 3 years consecutive on foot in Public Land Colorado... LOTS of work and sweat for this one.

I was very impressed with the WSM. I will be back someday with my 6.5 SAUM as I feel it has way more than enough to do the job.

Attachments

• received_844938562919742.jpeg
    received_844938562919742.jpeg
    552.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20201111_091437.jpg
    20201111_091437.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 43
  • received_789046075029594.jpeg
    received_789046075029594.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 42