• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Elk Hunt Success in West Texas!

mulie_mike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2010
West Texas
www.westtexashuntorg.com
Headed out this past weekend for our 2nd bull hunt and man they were rutting hard! Drove around the first evening and didn't see much of anything until we came up on one of the alfalfa fields where there was a herd of about 50 in the field with 2 Big Bulls bugling hard. We closed the distane to about 240 yards and the first shot rang out, the bull just stood there and took a few steps, 2nd shot rang out and nothing no reaction from the Bull. The bull just kept on chasing cows and Bugling, by now it was too dark to shoot or see so we waited until the next morning to continue. Turns out the rifle was off topped out with a bit of Elk fever.

Saw a group of Elk outside the property that morning and nothing really exciting that next evening. Next morning we changed our plan of attack and thats when it finally came together with this great bull. Curtis (forum member) made a heck of a shot (480 yards) and nailed this old guy in one of the fields right at first light. He was with a group of about 25 cows and a couple rag horns. All in all we saw about 90 different elk with half a dozen Bulls this size and larger. A couple nice Muleys, a bunch of Teal, Coyotes, and Quail kept us entertained throughout the hunt also. Next time I wont forget the video camera!

Another great hunt.
Mike

cl3.jpg

cl2.jpg

cl1.jpg

Re: Elk Hunt Success in West Texas!

Nice trophy!!!

...who'd a thunk, West Texas for elk!!!
shocked.gif

-what's next...surfing in Iowa??

Great Job!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice trophy!!!

...who'd a thunk, West Texas for elk!!!
shocked.gif

-what's next...surfing in Iowa??

Great Job!!! </div></div>

Exactly what I was thinking when I first started guiding for them. Did a lot of research and west Texas actually had a very high population of natural free ranging Elk several hundred years ago before the Mesquite took over and grass lands started to disappear. And of course humans over hunting. Several ranches in the area manage them and have great populations still of free ranging herds including the ranch I do hunts on. Best thing is that they are considered an Exotic so no draw is needed, they can be hunted year round, and open to anyone.

That is the kind of hunt I should have booked for this year. We hunted out of Moffat, Colorado with an outfitter the first week of Sept. Never put crosshairs on a bull....took a cow the last evening of the last day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Relentless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is the kind of hunt I should have booked for this year. We hunted out of Moffat, Colorado with an outfitter the first week of Sept. Never put crosshairs on a bull....took a cow the last evening of the last day. </div></div>

Sorry to hear that. Come on out next year, I only do 3 to 4 bull hunts each year to keep pressure down, I have 1 hunt left for next year.

Very nice bull! Whats one got to do to come out and shoot some coyotes. Im in so Cal but I have family in west TX

Wow, what a nice bull! Congrats!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5150Marcelo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice bull! Whats one got to do to come out and shoot some coyotes. Im in so Cal but I have family in west TX </div></div>

Could always use some help around our camps fixing up the places.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mulie_mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5150Marcelo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice bull! Whats one got to do to come out and shoot some coyotes. Im in so Cal but I have family in west TX </div></div>

Could always use some help around our camps fixing up the places. </div></div> Do you do predator hunts? I'm in Pecos now and I am interested in some kind of hunt. Open to different types. Just wondering

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mulie_mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5150Marcelo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice bull! Whats one got to do to come out and shoot some coyotes. Im in so Cal but I have family in west TX </div></div>

Could always use some help around our camps fixing up the places. </div></div> Do you do predator hunts? I'm in Pecos now and I am interested in some kind of hunt. Open to different types. Just wondering </div></div>

I do guided and self guided hunts. I have a couple ranches in far west Texas (Van Horn, Presidio, Big Bend) available to do some calling on.
Also offer Javelina-Quail-Hog-Deer-Aoudad-Axis and other hunts in the same area.