• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Elk hunting 2017

Rthur

Philomath
Minuteman
  • Apr 16, 2010
    Not Chicago, Illinios
    Going back to New Mexico for 17.
    Different/new area so it will be interesting to learn the differences.
    I have to admit I'm getting fired up about getting back on the mountain.
    We have started shooting weekly to get some string time in before September.
    Anyone else going/made the draw?

R

I just moved to AZ a few days ago and am really looking forward to adding mule deer and elk to my freezer, if I am reading the AZ regs correctly I can't hunt as a resident for 6 months so I will see what is available in the spring.

Going back to Idaho in October and was looking forward to it the day i left last year

I'll be going back again and again. Last year my son and I both drew, this year its just him. I'll have to get me an OTC tag ;) .

With any luck, I'll be looking at this again come this winter:
    553xix.jpg

Last edited:
    I just moved to AZ a few days ago and am really looking forward to adding mule deer and elk to my freezer, if I am reading the AZ regs correctly I can't hunt as a resident for 6 months so I will see what is available in the spring.

Welcome to AZ! The draw for Elk and Antelope is held in March, and tag applications are due in mid February. The draw for fall Deer just happened. Apps are due mid June and results will post in a few weeks. If you aren't familiar with the big game draw process, here is a link to the AZ Game & Fish Dept website. I was lucky enough to draw an elk tag this year, but have yet to be drawn for deer. Good luck! https://www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Draw/

Welcome to AZ! The draw for Elk and Antelope is held in March, and tag applications are due in mid February. The draw for fall Deer just happened. Apps are due mid June and results will post in a few weeks. If you aren't familiar with the big game draw process, here is a link to the AZ Game & Fish Dept website. I was lucky enough to draw an elk tag this year, but have yet to be drawn for deer. Good luck! https://www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Draw/

Thanks for the link, I live 3 miles from Ben Avery and AZGFD and am going to stop by and check it out. I'm going back to OK this fall to fill my freezer because I picked up my OK lifetime permit last year for $25, from what I read in the AZ regs I can't hunt as a resident until I have lived here 6 months.

Little warm up to get the head right.

Attachments

• photo63704.jpg
      photo63704.jpg
      118 KB · Views: 35
    Tag for Montana. Heading out in November. First time elk and first time out west. Can't wait.

Have started hoofing hills with added weight. I'm currently up to 4 miles with 40 lbs with some hills in the mix. Anyone have a good idea what is a good end state for weight and distance?

That's crazy. Must be the area you want to hunt. My brother put in for his first draw ever (rifle/whitetail buck) and got his first choice. He got the tag a few days ago. He's in Oro Valley and will hunt pretty close.

I've been thinking of going out and getting an OTC Mulie archery. Probably come home empty handed but it would be worth it for the experience.

NM resident here and haven't drawn an elk tag in the past three years. Wish those damn TV shows would quit telling people how great elk hunting is in NM. Use to be able to draw a tag every year and if we didn't draw could buy a ranch tag for a reasonable price. Not anymore, ranch tags for decent units have gone through the roof and not interested in paying 5K plus. Buddy did draw a tag in 15C and will be guiding him so at least I'll be in the field.

going to Idaho tis coming October for hunting too. time can be so slow when you are excited about something.

I looked at Boulder Creek Outfitters website, which looks very inviting. That country is very near to my heart.

Got a elk, and mule deer tag in NM this year both in unit 34. 6 years I've lived here, 2nd time I've put in for tags, 1st time hunting either of them.. here's to hoping I do decent!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Got a elk, and mule deer tag in NM this year both in unit 34. 6 years I've lived here, 2nd time I've put in for tags, 1st time hunting either of them.. here's to hoping I do decent!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Matt:

Good for you and 34 is a very good unit although not the easiest to hunt. Lots of elk in the Sacramento's and a big portion of that unit is on the Mescalero. Hunted for many years just north of there near Nogal and harvested quite a few elk. Which hunt, any legal, muzzle of archery?

Matt:

Good for you and 34 is a very good unit although not the easiest to hunt. Lots of elk in the Sacramento's and a big portion of that unit is on the Mescalero. Hunted for many years just north of there near Nogal and harvested quite a few elk. Which hunt, any legal, muzzle of archery?

I got the any legal on both hunts. Been looking at a couple spots near Timberon I think will pay out, your definitely not wrong about the easiest to hunt though!

Tag for Montana. Heading out in November. First time elk and first time out west. Can't wait.

Have started hoofing hills with added weight. I'm currently up to 4 miles with 40 lbs with some hills in the mix. Anyone have a good idea what is a good end state for weight and distance?

A 40 lb backpack plus weapon (cannot believe how many hunts guys are not ready for the weight of their rifle or bow) for 8 miles and still feel ok to do it again the next day.
    If it is a backpacking hunt increase that figure to 55-60 lbs over 4-6 miles.
    Do some 80 lb pack loads over 3 miles for practice packing out meat.
    ​​​​
    If you can do this your odds of finding elk will be much higher compared to most guys.

I helped on a hunt that we did 10 miles a day with 50 lb packs for over a week straight. When we killed packs weighed around 140 lbs in snow on too steep of terrian; don't do that it is a terrible idea. Better to keep weight lower and make additional trips.

Oh and make sure you know how to load and adjust your pack well. Makes a huge difference. Aron Snyder has some good videos.
    ​​​

got the stove last night set up and burnt in cant wait for october to get here

Attachments

• photo68506.jpg
      photo68506.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 29
    • photo68507.jpg
      photo68507.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 28
    • photo68508.jpg
      photo68508.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 30
    Going back to Montana in September for a couple weeks to bow hunt. Hope I get my elk when they are in rut! I will go back out in November for rifle season if I need to fill tags still. It's so much more fun when they are vocal during rut. I got spoiled my first year elk hunting in Montana. We both got our elk cows and mule deer in one day! Packed up and went home. Last year was a 13 day grind walking 10-15 miles a day in mountains in mid 70 degree heat. When we finally found a herd they were down low in the foothills. Apparently they had been pushed down from higher altitude where we were expecting them to be. At least we were closer to the truck.....only had to pack out 2 miles down hill.

The old man and I drew for CO first rifle, so i hope all the archery guys haven't killed all the elk by then. ;)
    Deano

GREAT bull, Skeet!
    I know the work it takes to get that done...congratulations on a well earned bull!!!

Two weeks until 1st rifle opens in CO. Swapped the Elite out for a 6.5 SAUM this time 'round, so we'll see what happens...

That's very much how I train, but I am here already and used to the altitude. It's the altitude that will kill you if you aren't used to it. First hunt this year I went 9 miles, about 35 lbs of weight and climbed from 4200 to 6500 feet, which is a pretty normal day hunt.

OTC general tag Wyoming National Forest 45 minutes from my home. Hunted hard for a week, camping solo and getting hit hard with heavy snow the first part of the week. Great week seeing beautiful country, sheep, deer, antelope, elk, bears and very special a nice adult mountain lion through my spotting scope as he hunted down a ridge in front of me.

I have been eating my tag and opting for a cow or two for the last 3 years because I really wanted a bull with good swords and whale tails. We had an early rut SW of Cody and good early snow, moving some bulls earlier than usual. Day seven this guy was dozing in his late afternoon bed in a deep drainage.

This bear came out of this drainage every evening, so I was very pleased to not have a confrontation with him as I spent the next 6 hours in darkness cutting and caping the bull. Tired but very happy camper.

Just cleaned up his teeth...ground down and polished with great color...

Attachments

• photo74697.jpg
      photo74697.jpg
      173.7 KB · Views: 33
    • photo74698.jpg
      photo74698.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 27
    • photo74699.jpg
      photo74699.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 35
    • photo74700.jpg
      photo74700.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 30
    • photo74890.jpg
      photo74890.jpg
      89.4 KB · Views: 34
    Last edited:
    Curious as to your rifle set up?

Mine?
    Phoenix Custom Rifles built.
    R700 LA BDL trued
    26" Bartlein #3 fluted 1:8.5 w. APA Micro Bast
    Manners EH-2 in GAP camo
    Timney CE @ 8oz.
    Seekins Alloy Picatinny 20MOA base and 34mm Low rings
    S&B PMII 3-20×50 w. H2CMR
    Flatline Ops level

Shooting a 180 Berger Hybrid @ 2996

Killed Oct 9 with my CVA Accura V2 ML in Unit 52 in New Mexico

Attachments

• photo75585.jpg
      photo75585.jpg
      188 KB · Views: 26
    • photo75586.jpg
      photo75586.jpg
      140.6 KB · Views: 26
    • photo75587.jpg
      photo75587.jpg
      175.3 KB · Views: 26
    OTC general tag Wyoming National Forest 45 minutes from my home. Hunted hard for a week, camping solo and getting hit hard with heavy snow the first part of the week. Great week seeing beautiful country, sheep, deer, antelope, elk, bears and very special a nice adult mountain lion through my spotting scope as he hunted down a ridge in front of me.

I have been eating my tag and opting for a cow or two for the last 3 years because I really wanted a bull with good swords and whale tails. We had an early rut SW of Cody and good early snow, moving some bulls earlier than usual. Day seven this guy was dozing in his late afternoon bed in a deep drainage.

This bear came out of this drainage every evening, so I was very pleased to not have a confrontation with him as I spent the next 6 hours in darkness cutting and caping the bull. Tired but very happy camper.

Congrats on a great bull!!

Nice bull and sounds like a very enjoyable hunt. I really like the Cody area. Hunted with Jay Reynolds at Open Creek Outfitters 2 years ago. Hope to get back up there soon.

Thanks, guys. He is a bit narrow and tight but I really like the sword/whale combos...so I am really happy with him, especially general season DIY on foot National Forest. I filled one of my cow tags yesterday morning, tagging this sentinel...so butchering again tonight. 6/9 tags filled thus far. I have one more cow, WT doe and of course a wolf on my list.

Attachments

• photo79364.jpg
      photo79364.jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 32
    Nice bull and sounds like a very enjoyable hunt. I really like the Cody area. Hunted with Jay Reynolds at Open Creek Outfitters 2 years ago. Hope to get back up there soon.

A picture of Open Creek for you and a small bull I took there several years ago. I don’t know Jay personally but have seen him and his outfit since I am down river often and have hear good things about his services.

Attachments

• photo50707.jpg
      photo50707.jpg
      173.6 KB · Views: 33
    • photo78672.jpg
      photo78672.jpg
      111.4 KB · Views: 25