• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Elk hunting caliber

300 Win Mag put the smack down on my 6x5 at over 600 Yds with the Barnes 200 LRX.

Devastated the poor some bitch.

I can't believe what I'm hearing, there is some overcompesation going on out there. I have lived in northwestern colorado all my life and seen literally hundreds of elk taken. My father (73yrs old) has guided nearly all his life and still shoots a .243 BLR as well as my brother. I have whitnessed a bored group of hunters shoot at a rock 10ft x 10ft nearly 750yds and the only one pulling dust was my brother and his BLR. My dad's browns park bull (365) was taken at 70yds, one shot. Being comfortable and confident in your firearm allows you to make proper bullet placement and a sucessfull kill.

I can't believe what I'm hearing, there is some overcompesation going on out there. I have lived in northwestern colorado all my life and seen literally hundreds of elk taken. My father (73yrs old) has guided nearly all his life and still shoots a .243 BLR as well as my brother. I have whitnessed a bored group of hunters shoot at a rock 10ft x 10ft nearly 750yds and the only one pulling dust was my brother and his BLR. My dad's browns park bull (365) was taken at 70yds, one shot. Being comfortable and confident in your firearm allows you to make proper bullet placement and a sucessfull kill.
Hell yeah, the best caliber for x game, the one that you can put bullets where you want with? One mans opinion.

Last edited:
I would say do not go with the 338 lapua because it has too much ft/lbs energy. I knew someone who shot a elk with a 338 WIN and it went through one elk and killed another, but luckily his friend had a tag who was hunting with him. so over penetration is guaranteed with 338 lapua unless using light loads with heavy bullets