• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR bullet recovery

Hi,

@badassgunworks
What is unique, especially for you and swamp is that projectile is designed to mushroom and break off the "base" at the ring. So you get the front section that mushrooms followed by the solid mass "base" into the wound channel.

Sincerely,
Theis
looks cool but not a elr bullet. would be some issues for nato for sure

Reactions: THEIS
My design goal was to increase the maximum supersonic range greatly, not to design a good subsonic bullet. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do both simultaneously. I expect the 375-caliber version of my bullet to stay supersonic all the way to the 2-mile targets at Whittington this year. Has anyone ever done that before? With a bullet weight of only 335-gr and an estimated G7 BC of 0.481, these 375's could be fired at 3600 fps or more from several cartridges. Maximum supersonic range would be a lot less in cold, dry, sea-level air. From a 7.0-inch twist barrel, the initial gyroscopic stability is 3.1, which should allow hyper-stable flight to be achieved very early.

I have heard mention of Lutz Moler, but have not seen any of his work. Can you suggest where I can find it?
FWIW, there isn't a whole lot that designing a subsonic bullet will do. So, no loss in not following that rabbit down the hole. This "experiment" has been a few years back when the .300 BLK was just starting the rage that it was. Anyhow, a friend of mine and I loaded up and shot .30 cal 220 SMK's subsonic and .230 gr. RN FMJ .45's. Both were loaded to 1050 fps. The .300 out of an AR, and the .45 out of a 14" TC.

The end result was 3 ft. of drop difference at 500 yds. The .45 dropped 31 feet (71 moa) and the .300 BLK only dropped 28 feet (64 moa). So, the drag factor differences didn't have a big influence. Yeah, the .45 dropped more. But they both dropped about twice as much as a .308 drops at 1000 yds. They are going too slow to matter.

Last edited:
Here is Paul Philips 6000 yards bullet recovered

I did an interview with him and his team at SHOT about it

IMG_0782.jpeg

IMG_0781.jpeg

Hi,

@badassgunworks
What is unique, especially for you and swamp is that projectile is designed to mushroom and break off the "base" at the ring. So you get the front section that mushrooms followed by the solid mass "base" into the wound channel.

Sincerely,
Theis
Nosler partitions have that design as well. Front opens and the base drives forward. Shaped like the letter "A". Tip deforms until the cross acts like a round nose pushing.

Not ELR, but 750 amax fired into wood at 100 yards. Surprised the aluminum core stayed intact.
View attachment 7013189
Holy CRAP dude! You need to get some lotion on those hands!;);)

In all seriousness, how far and deep into the dirt did the core go? That is a pretty interesting phenomena to see, a bullet with that kind of power and being able to recover it. what kind of wood, and how much damage did the whole bullet do to that? i.e. a tree trunk of x-diameter, hard or soft wood.