• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR rifle build: Single or Magazine?

Rockfish Dave

Sergeant
Banned !
Aug 4, 2008
Columbia Falls, MT USA
So I had thought everything was finalized for my latest wildcat build, but cannot get over the nagging fact that the CIP length magazines are going to hamstring the potential of the 375/338 Lapua improved case.

I think that I have made up my mind to change the build to a single shot, but have never owned one.

Can anyone offer up a reason to, or not to go, with the single shot over the magazine fed rifle?

I originally was going to go Seekins bottom metal and magazine, but I'd probably have more luck bagging a unicorn than scoring that set-up.

How often are you required to place follow-up shots under a time limit?

The cartridge is called 375 Sledgehammer it's a 338 case necked up to 375 with the should blown to 40 degrees. I think it'll feed fine I've only seen like 2 people have them and they seemed to feed fine. I'd get other opinions rather than mine.

The cartridge is called 375 Sledgehammer it's a 338 case necked up to 375 with the should blown to 40 degrees. I think it'll feed fine I've only seen like 2 people have them and they seemed to feed fine. I'd get other opinions rather than mine.

Nope, my little creation :)

It's got a longer neck and less taper. The lack of taper is pushing the limits for such a large caliber, and may be a failure. As the saying goes: "He who dares, wins"

I want more freebore so that the bullet base will be at the neck shoulder junction. This will allow more powder capacity with less pressure...

Last edited:
How often are you required to place follow-up shots under a time limit?

Hi Graham,

I am making it for mostly recreational shooting, but there are enough quality projectiles I wouldn't rule out hunting. I am making it as light as possible without being ridiculous. So I could use it for hunting as well, and if everything works out it may be my new elk rifle.

So to answer your question: Hopefully never but sometimes things do not work out like I plan.

I built a .300WM single shot as a dedicated one mile rifle. Put it in a tactical repeater chassis and never used the mag. It was never intended as a tactical competition rifle, though. The only problem I can think of is that a single shot is much harder to re-sell. But if you have a dedicated chamber/throat you won't be re-selling it easily anyway.

The question is whether, given the purpose of the rifle, you need it to have a magazine.

Last edited:
The only problem I can think of is that a single shot is much harder to re-sell. But if you have a dedicated chamber/throat you won't be re-selling it easily anyway.

The question is whether, given the purpose of the rifle, you need it to have a magazine.

Good point, although I have no plans on selling, the magazine will make it much easier.

If it came down to selling I'd just install a 338 lapua barrel, no big deal.

Thanks for the input... now I am even more conflicted than before :)

Why don't you just make it with a magazine and have best of both worlds? You can always use your magazine fed rifle as a single shot, most 338 LR shooters do just that.

Then of you decide you need more than one shot, you make a second load that fits in the mag. Or if your selling it and re barrel, you are selling a rifle with a mag...

This. I have a single shot 338 Edge, and don't feel hampered by it. Even with the single shot, at the distances we are shooting these I can literally shoot, work the bolt, throw another loose round in and have one chambered about when the first one impacts. Just a bit of practice and a good spotter and follow-ups are not an issue.

For resale you could do the mag, and develop a shorter COAL cartridge for mag-feeding if you find you need that.

In summary, for target shooting, ELR (as in past 1500) it's really not necessary. For hunting, maybe.

Why don't you just make it with a magazine and have best of both worlds? You can always use your magazine fed rifle as a single shot, most 338 LR shooters do just that.

Then of you decide you need more than one shot, you make a second load that fits in the mag. Or if your selling it and re barrel, you are selling a rifle with a mag...

Thanks, I am sticking with the CIP length magazine. The Barnes TTSX should feed just fine from the magazine. The SMK's and Cutting Edge projectiles will be single feed only though, so I think I have my hunting and ELR bases covered.

- Dave

This. I have a single shot 338 Edge, and don't feel hampered by it. Even with the single shot, at the distances we are shooting these I can literally shoot, work the bolt, throw another loose round in and have one chambered about when the first one impacts. Just a bit of practice and a good spotter and follow-ups are not an issue.

For resale you could do the mag, and develop a shorter COAL cartridge for mag-feeding if you find you need that.

In summary, for target shooting, ELR (as in past 1500) it's really not necessary. For hunting, maybe.

i will only do single shot ELR rifles moving forward, most of us can single-feed faster than we think.

I built a .300WM single shot as a dedicated one mile rifle. Put it in a tactical repeater chassis and never used the mag. It was never intended as a tactical competition rifle, though. The only problem I can think of is that a single shot is much harder to re-sell. But if you have a dedicated chamber/throat you won't be re-selling it easily anyway.

As I sit here and think about how I shoot my long range rigs. 90% of the time it is single shot. Usually leaving the breach open for a few moment between shot to aid cooling. Next ELR rig will be a single shot affair.