• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elr scopes.....$1500

How far behind the razor gen 2? I dont care about illumination.

The Bushnell is not far behind and for just over $1K it's hard to beat.

Some considerations:

The Bushnell has a slightly tighter eyebox than the Razor
The Razors glass is slightly better
The Razors has locking turrets, while the XRSII only has windage locking
The Bushnell has a parallax of 75 yards the Razor has a parallax of 32 yards
The Razor has illumination, the XRSII doesn't
The XRSII weight 37.8 ounces, the Razor weight 48.5 ounces
If your interested in the H59 or TreMor 3 you can't beat the price on the XRSII. The Razor you will pay a premium for those reticles.
The Razor brand new $2k. Used on the Hide price is about $1600.00. The XRSII BNIB, just over $1K.

Reactions: JRinNE
I so want to order one but then got more ideas move price range to $2000 and go razor gen 2 or leupold mark 5......... This is hard. I want the best glass i can afford which is $2000 at most as long as my cronus sells

I so want to order one but then got more ideas move price range to $2000 and go razor gen 2 or leupold mark 5......... This is hard. I want the best glass i can afford which is $2000 at most as long as my cronus sells

I hear ya, but these rifles just keep following me home. I’m like a magnet for orphaned firearms. Colleague wanted and AR-10. Told him you don’t need one, get another quality 5.56 since that’s all the ammo you have. Next day an ad popped up locally for a 7.62 gasser so I asked whether he wanted me to look into for him. Turned out the fellow had two LWRC REPRs. Next thing I know, I have an 18” in the stable. Who knew I ‘needed’ one?!? I really only bought it to get the 168gr FGMM for 80c/rd, promise. Haha

I’m screwed if anyone starts dropping NVG in Houston at good prices.

The XTR3 is impressive compared to the gen 2 razor I looked through, it should be on your list.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I like the leupold 3-18, would love one on an AR308. Its up to you with the reticules illumination etc.

I've posted this in the past, but I did a test last summer with 3 people reading 2 different eye charts at 330 yards.
Results:
1. Athlon Cronus BTR
2. Bushnell XRS2i
3. Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27

Scopes were set to max at 27x as it would be an unfair comparison otherwise. This was a clarity test only, with only 1 example of each scope.
Kind of shocking. I have shot with the Cronus and Razor in the same day and it wasn't particularly close, with the easy nod going to the Razor. IMHO, the Stryker, XRS II, and Razor are all nearly identical from a resolution standpoint. They all have slightly different quirks optically, but in general, they're all at very much the same level. I owned a Cronus for a while and didn't care for it for the price. I actually put my SWFA HD 5-20 back on instead. I didn't care for the reticle, the parallax knob, or the optics at high mag. I was glad to sell it for what I paid and move on.

The guys mentioning the XTR3 have a good point. I have yet to see one in person, but from what I've read, it should absolutely get a mention in this price range. But I'd still say that the XRS II at around $1k is the best deal around.

Reactions: BCP
Kind of shocking. I have shot with the Cronus and Razor in the same day and it wasn't particularly close, with the easy nod going to the Razor. IMHO, the Stryker, XRS II, and Razor are all nearly identical from a resolution standpoint. They all have slightly different quirks optically, but in general, they're all at very much the same level. I owned a Cronus for a while and didn't care for it for the price. I actually put my SWFA HD 5-20 back on instead. I didn't care for the reticle, the parallax knob, or the optics at high mag. I was glad to sell it for what I paid and move on.

The guys mentioning the XTR3 have a good point. I have yet to see one in person, but from what I've read, it should absolutely get a mention in this price range. But I'd still say that the XRS II at around $1k is the best deal around.

Your experience is equally surprising!

The glass in my Razor looks dark, resolution not that good (comparatively) and sucks in low light; maybe I have a lemon 🤷‍♂️

It does track well and it does hold the boat in place rather well :)

This thread really tells the story about how people view and rate optics differently. Whether it's variation in the optical quality of individual examples or differences in how people's eyes view the world, it's difficult to find consistent opinions.

I'm in the Cronus BTR > XRS2 camp, but could understand the opposing viewpoint.

I have an XTR3 scr2 and a Trijicon 5-50 mrad - the Trijicon has better glass, but less FOV and finicky parallax. Love the thin reticle in the XTR3. If you're trying to quickly find, focus, and shoot, especially with a magnification change somewhere in-between, then XTR3. For leisurely target shooting, Trijicon.

Oh, and the XTR3 floating cross, I use the top of the cross as the aiming point, rather than the cross itself. Doesn't obstruct and helps me with precision. Trij is a dot.

For you guys running burris xtr3 are you running more moa in rail or what? Also 3-18 giving up alot?

This thread really tells the story about how people view and rate optics differently. Whether it's variation in the optical quality of individual examples or differences in how people's eyes view the world, it's difficult to find consistent opinions.

I'm in the Cronus BTR > XRS2 camp, but could understand the opposing viewpoint.
Whst i think is really funny is when people start arguing a out how some scope has HD glass vs ED glass. As if my zeiss diavari is made out of old coke bottles.

Here’s a Razor for sale on the Hide

Here’s another one

I have a athlon cronus and had other scopes steiner m5 vortex ares etr ect. I shoot to 2000 yards and planning on doing the nf steel challenge. Between athlon cronus bushnell xrs ii or similar scopes what are you guys running and liking the best? I like my cronus alot but dont want the floating cross anymore
Stick with the Cronus gen2. Unless you are willing to step up to the NF Atacr and it is not a big step, you want find better glass or quality, for that price.

Reactions: jinxx4ever
Stick with the Cronus gen2. Unless you are willing to step up to the NF Atacr and it is not a big step, you want find better glass or quality, for that price.
I only have the btr gen 1 cronus. But after reading and talking to people i have found that even at $2000 not a huge up grade basically paying for locking turrets. Dough at camralandny who is great said only true way to up grade is get into the $3000 like the atacr. Which i agree. I have looked threw a razor gen 2 and honestly i think the cronus is way better glass wise the razor was very milky and dark 16 power had more features. My buddy has a atacr and not braking it down but just looking threw it at 1 mile when we were shooting i couldnt tell much of a difference. Not saying there isnt but throwing it up and shooting couldn't see much at all.

I only have the btr gen 1 cronus. But after reading and talking to people i have found that even at $2000 not a huge up grade basically paying for locking turrets. Dough at camralandny who is great said only true way to up grade is get into the $3000 like the atacr. Which i agree. I have looked threw a razor gen 2 and honestly i think the cronus is way better glass wise the razor was very milky and dark 16 power had more features. My buddy has a atacr and not braking it down but just looking threw it at 1 mile when we were shooting i couldnt tell much of a difference. Not saying there isnt but throwing it up and shooting couldn't see much at all.
We had an opportunity about a month ago to shoot and look thru a Cronus gen1 and 2 (the glass is the same, better turrets on the gen2, more tactile, both track about the same, near perfect😁), NF Atacr, Kahles 525i, Razor gen2 HD, Leupold Mark 5, Athlon Ares ETR and a Leica and a Bushnell XTR. The glass in the NF and Cronus were the best as far as clarity. You are right, there is not much difference. We were shooting at 1252 yards at about thirty minutes before sunset and it was over cast. We could observe through them beyond a mile. If I had to rank them it would be NF Atacr, Athlon Cronus, Leupold Mark 5, Razor gen2 (I don't care for this scope because of the weight.), Kahles, Athlon Ares ETR (not the btr), Bushnell ( I did not get a chance to look thru the Leica). I own an Athlon Ares ETR sits on a Sako 300 WM long range and a Leupold Mark 5 3-18 on a Tikka TRS-1 308. I have a Cronus gen 2 on order going on a custom 338 RUM. Sold my gen 1 because I like the turrets on the gen 2 better. Price is going to be around the same as my gen 1 ($1699). I agree with someone else who said, "I really like the Athlon reticles."

Which bushnell diid you use, they dont make a XTR did you mean XRS or a XRS2?

Which bushnell diid you use, they dont make a XTR did you mean XRS or a XRS2?
Sorry yes. It was the XRS I believe. It was not mine. Several of us were shooting together an had the opportunity to shoot and look through each other's scopes. One of the guys is a dealer for Leupold, NF, Athlon and Kahles he had several there for us to try as well.

The Bushnell scope may have been an older model scope. I did not know the gentlemen it belonged to. Sorry to be so uninformed about the scope. We were really there to specifically compare the Kahles 525i, NF Atacr, Leupold Mark 5, and Athlon Cronus gen 2 (This was the only scope that was not a 5-25). A couple of guys just happened to have the Leica, Bushnell, and Vortex on their personal guns. I had the Ares ETR on mine. In the examples we tried two scopes really stood out from the rest and you really had to look hard to tell the difference. At a mile you could literally see individual leaves in trees. Those two scopes where the Atacr and the Cronus. That said one is really splitting hairs with any of them. The glass in all of them is good so you need to really begin to look at features beyond that. For the money the Cronus is hard to beat. It is a solid scope and if I had to guess it is made by the same OEM as the NF and Vortex Razor. The glass clarity really is that good. Contemplating a 375-338 IMP on a Sako action I have to try and play at 2 miles and considering one of three scopes to go on it. NF Atacr 7-35, Luepold Mark 5 7-35, or the Athlon Cronus gen 2 4.5-29 I already have on order. Leaning toward the Atacr because I already have one of each of the others.

Sorry yes. It was the XRS I believe. It was not mine. Several of us were shooting together an had the opportunity to shoot and look through each other's scopes. One of the guys is a dealer for Leupold, NF, Athlon and Kahles he had several there for us to try as well.

If it was a first gen XRS not the XRS2, there's a noticable difference in glass. Given where you ranked it, I get the feeling it was a first gen.

Reactions: Paladin300
The Bushnell scope may have been an older model scope. I did not know the gentlemen it belonged to. Sorry to be so uninformed about the scope. We were really there to specifically compare the Kahles 525i, NF Atacr, Leupold Mark 5, and Athlon Cronus gen 2 (This was the only scope that was not a 5-25). A couple of guys just happened to have the Leica, Bushnell, and Vortex on their personal guns. I had the Ares ETR on mine. In the examples we tried two scopes really stood out from the rest and you really had to look hard to tell the difference. At a mile you could literally see individual leaves in trees. Those two scopes where the Atacr and the Cronus. That said one is really splitting hairs with any of them. The glass in all of them is good so you need to really begin to look at features beyond that. For the money the Cronus is hard to beat. It is a solid scope and if I had to guess it is made by the same OEM as the NF and Vortex Razor. The glass clarity really is that good. Contemplating a 375-338 IMP on a Sako action I have to try and play at 2 miles and considering one of three scopes to go on it. NF Atacr 7-35, Luepold Mark 5 7-35, or the Athlon Cronus gen 2 4.5-29 I already have on order. Leaning toward the Atacr because I already have one of each of the others.
Thank you for all the comparisons. The cronus does rock and a great scope i guess the features like locking turrets is the only thing missing. I guess for the huge money difference i can live with that

Reactions: Paladin300
Since the huge sale on these bushnell xrs2 im going to order one to play with and see what there about. Compare it to the cronus and other scopes i can always sell it. What reticle g3 or h59?

Going h59. Less busy to me. Going to compare this scope see how it stacks up for my eyes. Might just keep both lol

Yeah its a nice simple reticle and i can always dial wind. To be more precise.
I have a lot of time behind the G3, which I am sure helps, but honestly I can make wind holds down to .1 without even thinking about it now, and I can hold as small as .05 if I have a couple seconds to look at it.

I have a lot of time behind the G3, which I am sure helps, but honestly I can make wind holds down to .1 without even thinking about it now, and I can hold as small as .05 if I have a couple seconds to look at it.
They were all sold out of the g3 now. I seen 1 left but time i went to order it was gone

Had a chance to look threw a brand new razor gen today. It was alot better than the other one looked threw. The glass was bright and crisp clear to edge but after about 20 to 22 power it sure got dark and fuzzy and wow i forgot how heavy they are

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Purchased my first Vortex Razor last year in September.
The weight does not bother me, and I just love the solid and reliable construction.
Optically, I find it very good.
Liked it so much, I've bought another one for my AI .338 Lapua.
That warranty is great too.
I've bush bashed and dragged the Razor through all kinds of terrain, been bounced around in the truck, never dropped it's zero.👍

Purchased my first Vortex Razor last year in September.
The weight does not bother me, and I just love the solid and reliable construction.
Optically, I find it very good.
Liked it so much, I've bought another one for my AI .338 Lapua.
That warranty is great too.
I've bush bashed and dragged the Razor through all kinds of terrain, been bounced around in the truck, never dropped it's zero.👍
Maybe its just my eyes or something. I find the cronus better. But its good to hear. Weight wouldnt be bad but for hunting

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart