• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

End of my fun for a while

danatkins

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
Well my shooting is going to be on hold for a while fell off the roof Saturday when my ladder slipped out from under my feet. Busted the socket in my elbow, can't get surgery til 1300 tomorrow. Gonna be off work probably 4 months or so according to surgeon. Thankfully I'm left handed lol

Attachments

• 20210814_175357.jpg
    20210814_175357.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 320
Damn, what bad break....pun intended! Sorry to hear of your bad misfortune. However, it could have been far worse.....many people have been killed from ladder falls! Wishing you a quick and complete recovery!! memtb

Yeah.
i wont bore yall with too many ladder fall stories.
Most memorable in last 12 months.

Just had a guy bring in a catered meal for the ED, ICU, and surgery staff who saved his life.
Fall from 8th rung.

Very nearly died.
As in emergent open chest and abdomen and 50 plus units of blood products.

Had a coworker fall at home a couple years ago. Her leg went through the rungs on the way down. Big nasty compound fracture. Put her out of work for a lomg time. I hope your recovery goes well. What part of the country are you in?

Southern Indiana. I thought I busted my hip and wrist too. Guess I'll be around more than just to ask the odd questions lol. Hope your friend recovered ok

I'm sorry to hear that.

Ladders are rather super dangerous as you get older.

Always have a strong buddy holding the ladder very securely & get a good ladder with safety bars.

What do you mean safety bars?
It was sitting against the retaining wall but got moved to the top

I leave real work to men who are more capable than me. I'll stick to using my brain muscle unit that breaks. Sorry to hear about accident.

When I was in Junior High & High school I would regularly be standing on top of the chimney adjusting my ham radio antenna. Now I just clean the gutters of leaves. That is my limit.

Rest, relax, drink plenty of adult refreshments, take two aspirin, & call me in the morning.

Maxwell

best of luck to a quick recovery thought it funny a after having hernia repaired I found in my down time unable to shoot , I could load some of the rounds I had wanted to do 50 or so ended up doing several hundred but it gave me the chance to really clean the barrel out and prep a bunch of brass getting them ready to be reloaded so when I could go back to the range I had more than enough ammo to last for a while . maybe its just what you need to get your stuff more organized , honey do list injure more husbands per year than war or deceases combine . lol

Reactions: camocorvette
The hell with scaffold, man lifts are where it's at. Just boom yourself up out and over anything you need to be working on.
Depends on what youre doing. Hard to boom a ton of rocks and cement ...at least with anything I could afford.

1. Don't fall.
2. Don't get old.

If you break rule #1, don't break #2 ...

Heal up, strengthen up, back in the game. Good luck!
Gospel words here - pay attention. Can't help but break #2. I'm old, and getting old takes a huge toll. Legs go first, consequently balance. If you're over 60 start doing deep knee bends, with calf extensions at the end all while you brush your teeth. Brush for 2-minutes. Oh, and do that (brush) twice a day. Cost's 10K to get replacements.

Hate ladders. Really only use one to hang Christmas lights. Even that makes me nervous.

Here’s wishing for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

I've started driving my tractor loader bucket up to the ladder...pinning it and tying it. Overkill but I'm working alone around the house and barns a lot. I may fall off but the ladder is going nowhere.

Well thanks for all the tips gang. 10-15 years ago I would've probably been ok but I'm just gonna be 35 this December. Just hope I got the damn leak fixed been fighting it for some time

Bones heal fast. It's the nerve pain that will bust your balls for the next 12 months.

Hope you heal up fast, so, you can keep your skills sharp. I'm talking about the roof/ladder skills, not the shooting, those happen naturally! Good luck! Mac(y)

Well my shooting is going to be on hold for a while fell off the roof Saturday when my ladder slipped out from under my feet. Busted the socket in my elbow, can't get surgery til 1300 tomorrow. Gonna be off work probably 4 months or so according to surgeon. Thankfully I'm left handed lol

An old lady decided to crush my bike and break my arm with her car, leading to a radial head fracture. I didn't need surgery or even a cast so your situation obviously seems a lot worse, however my advice would be to start some form of physio right away. Within even a few days of not using your arm you will start to feel the muscles begin to tighten, a short period of non use as it heals can lead to months of recovery work.

My personal opinion (no I'm not a health worker) is because you've got a fracture, let that be your guide for physio. Start off really lightly without any sort of pain killers and move your arm in different motions until pain tells you the limit (there will be aching and pain but you'll know what I mean if you try to push to far.). The idea here is that you should not be able to cause further damage to the fracture without the pain telling you that you are stressing it too much. Good luck

PLF saved my ass from several ladder falls, until I wised up and stopped climbing them. So glad that PLF is ingrained.
Just had a friend fall from 4th rung, landed on his butt, which whiped his head backwards to the ground. Next day he went into the ER because he didn't feel "right", and they diagnosed a subdural bleed. He stayed in the hospital for a bit, but it never went anywhere, so they let it go without surgery. He's home now, and taking it easy. I told him that was his last day on a ladder.

Hope you heal up fast, so, you can keep your skills sharp. I'm talking about the roof/ladder skills, not the shooting, those happen naturally! Good luck! Mac(y)
Hopefully done with roof work for a long time
An old lady decided to crush my bike and break my arm with her car, leading to a radial head fracture. I didn't need surgery or even a cast so your situation obviously seems a lot worse, however my advice would be to start some form of physio right away. Within even a few days of not using your arm you will start to feel the muscles begin to tighten, a short period of non use as it heals can lead to months of recovery work.

My personal opinion (no I'm not a health worker) is because you've got a fracture, let that be your guide for physio. Start off really lightly without any sort of pain killers and move your arm in different motions until pain tells you the limit (there will be aching and pain but you'll know what I mean if you try to push to far.). The idea here is that you should not be able to cause further damage to the fracture without the pain telling you that you are stressing it too much. Good luck
Fully plan on it I've been having to take the sling off a couple times a day and stretch my shoulder so I can only imagine
Jasper is a nice place
Not according to my sister in law but she thinks she's a doctor just cause she works in one's office. She thinks anything this side of the river is a joke

Sorry to hear about your injuries.
In March, I fell off the ladder while entering the attic to run some conduit.
Fell 8 feet onto a concrete floor.
I’m in my 70’s, don’t bounce like I once did.
The xrays showed my spine is a bit out of alignment, but no actual damage except torn muscles.
(Those are still healing, less pain in the abdomen with each passing month.)
What saved me is that I was knocked unconscious when my head hit the attic framing, so I
impacted the concrete limp.
The ladder people are correct about “do not stand above this step”.
Now I use ropes and tie the ladder down good.

Wife posted this on Facebook
Dan Atkins is out of surgery. It was very difficult. He has no cartilage in a part of his elbow, it was in too many small pieces to repair. Range of motion and mobility in the arm is questionable, they want him to get into physical therapy right away, either tomorrow or Friday. They have to do a CT scan to check on the ligaments but will need to fight the insurance on that since it's post surgery. Please keep praying for him.

Got a long road but I don't quit

Reactions: powdahound76