• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

End of the Internal Combustion Engine

Duc

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2007
NE. Illinios
Taken from a Motorcycle website....

The Bear
6/30/2022
Ban On ICE, EU Kills Internal Combustion Engines

Mark it on your calendar. The 29th of June 2022 marks the beginning of the end for the internal combustion engine. Environment ministers from the 27 countries of the EU have agreed to sign the ICE’s death warrant. The ban refers to sales of new cars and vans powered by gasoline and diesel engines, although you can bet that they will add motorcycles when they remember that such things exist. It took more than 16 hours of negotiation to reach an agreement at the meeting in Luxembourg, but the result is crystal clear.
“The Council… agreed to introduce a 100% CO2 emissions reduction target by 2035 for new cars and vans.” The European Parliament also wants to outlaw sales of used ICE-powered vehicles, but that has not been decided on. Not that the idea is dead; further negotiations will take place, but the new vehicle sales ban is now written in stone.
Given the size of the European vehicle market, the ban on ICEs there means their eventual disappearance in all developed countries. The ramifications will go way beyond the borders of the European Union since it won’t be feasible for the likes of Volkswagen or BMW to develop ICE cars they won’t be able to sell in the EU. Internal combustion engined vehicles may, and probably will, continue to be manufactured and sold in developing countries after 2035 but even so, the end is inevitable.
Technically speaking, the 2035 ban calls for a complete reduction of emissions, without mentioning the combustion engine. This leaves the door open for ICEs running on alternative fuels such as the synthetic fuel being developed by Porsche, but it is interesting to note that most of the research and proposed manufacturing for that will take place away from the First World. And good luck affording a tank full of the synthetic stuff.

Looks like we’ll have to get used to electric adventures.
This decision will have huge consequences across the vehicle industry as manufacturers accelerate the switch to EVs even further. Serious as this is for automakers, motorcycle manufacturers will be affected even more because major companies’ shift to electric power is not as advanced. There are also staged targets in 2025 and 2030 that will be difficult for motorcycle manufacturers to reach; once again there is no mention of bikes in the legislation, but automakers will have to slash CO2 emissions by 55 percent for new cars and 50 percent for vans by the end of the ‘20s.
Negotiations between the Parliament and EU member states later this year will determine the final shape of the law, but let’s not beat about the bush: with no more than a couple of exceptions, all motorcycles currently built by major manufacturers will gradually disappear from the market until they’re all gone by 2035.
German industry groups and other car lobby organisations have said the European Parliament’s decision is a blow to climate protection and consumer choice. Germany wavered on banning the combustion engine in 2035, threatening to derail the talks until it was placated with a vague promise from the Commission to look into future options for e-fuels.
Italy would also like to see changes, particularly concerning small-scale production vehicles from manufacturers like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Ducati, MV Agusta and Aprilia all contribute not only to the financial economy of Italy, but also its cultural presence.
Despite that, Italy has also signed the death warrant

While that's the headline news, in the background, the current EU emissions regulations already mean that in order not to pay insanely huge fines, vehicle manufacturers need to have a pretty strong line up of plug-in hybrids and all electric models, or go pay someone that does to let them be under the same umbrella group.

Eventually of course plug in hybrids will be no more and it will be all EV or similar only, but for now plug in hybrids can be used to help meet the goals.
Standard hybrids pretty much can't meet the current regulations alone, which put Honda in a difficult spot in the EU and they had to pay a bunch to be in an umbrella group with Tesla until they get themselves in gear and have the plug ins and EVs in serious numbers in the EU.

"green energy" is for the folks who weren't around to make all the easy money that was available to be made in the oil boom. Would be interesting to see all the financial interests these "leaders" have in "green technologies". I guarantee they did it to profit from it, not because they give a damn about the environment. Sure, it may work out for Europe since they have a much higher population density, and other factors like less urban sprawl, and a fact that it's what, 1200 miles wide and about the same tall? Average range of many EV's is at least 400 miles or so now right? With a 400 mile range, if you live in Paris, you can drive to 90% of all of France. 50% of Germany, and 1/2 of the UK, plus more. Plus, with Europe's amazing public mass transit systems that exist now, you can get away with not having a car at all. It could very well work for them without causing serious issues for individuals. We're not going to talk about the electricity supply and distribution hurdles though, that's going to be it's own engineering hurdle they'll have to overcome.

Bringing that to the UNited states becomes the problem. 2800'ish miles wide, depending on where you're going, lots of sprawl in the middle, and no significant public mass transit outside of the biggest cities. We have seaports on the east and west coasts, and some in Texas. How do they plan on those products from the seaports getting to the middle? Electric Trucks? We have a shortage of Truck drivers now, rail can't pickup the slack, and now they expect all these truckers to buy new electric trucks which are going to have a fraction of the range of the current diesel models? A truck weighing 80K pounds, with a full load of fuel can drive about halfway across the country before needing to fuel up again. I bet you'll have a hard time finding a electric truck that will be able to drive across a single state on a charge. They gonna run that shit like the pony express and have yards every couple hundred miles where you pull in the dead truck, drop the trailer, grab a fresh one, hookup, and drive the next couple hundred miles? These folks haven't thought this through at all, and for whatever reason they haven't figured out that truckers and their cargo are the blood cells of the nation. They carry everything that we use every single day. And if they don't deliver the goods, how are they going to get to the stores. Europe could easily develop rail methods for transporting cargo with minimal investment. We will have to spend Trillions to go all EV, and that's why i'm certain it's a financial thing, and definately not because they give a damn about the environment.

Branden

"green energy" is for the folks who weren't around to make all the easy money that was available to be made in the oil boom. Would be interesting to see all the financial interests these "leaders" have in "green technologies". I guarantee they did it to profit from it, not because they give a damn about the environment. Sure, it may work out for Europe since they have a much higher population density, and other factors like less urban sprawl, and a fact that it's what, 1200 miles wide and about the same tall? Average range of many EV's is at least 400 miles or so now right? With a 400 mile range, if you live in Paris, you can drive to 90% of all of France. 50% of Germany, and 1/2 of the UK, plus more. Plus, with Europe's amazing public mass transit systems that exist now, you can get away with not having a car at all. It could very well work for them without causing serious issues for individuals. We're not going to talk about the electricity supply and distribution hurdles though, that's going to be it's own engineering hurdle they'll have to overcome.

Bringing that to the UNited states becomes the problem. 2800'ish miles wide, depending on where you're going, lots of sprawl in the middle, and no significant public mass transit outside of the biggest cities. We have seaports on the east and west coasts, and some in Texas. How do they plan on those products from the seaports getting to the middle? Electric Trucks? We have a shortage of Truck drivers now, rail can't pickup the slack, and now they expect all these truckers to buy new electric trucks which are going to have a fraction of the range of the current diesel models? A truck weighing 80K pounds, with a full load of fuel can drive about halfway across the country before needing to fuel up again. I bet you'll have a hard time finding a electric truck that will be able to drive across a single state on a charge. They gonna run that shit like the pony express and have yards every couple hundred miles where you pull in the dead truck, drop the trailer, grab a fresh one, hookup, and drive the next couple hundred miles? These folks haven't thought this through at all, and for whatever reason they haven't figured out that truckers and their cargo are the blood cells of the nation. They carry everything that we use every single day. And if they don't deliver the goods, how are they going to get to the stores. Europe could easily develop rail methods for transporting cargo with minimal investment. We will have to spend Trillions to go all EV, and that's why i'm certain it's a financial thing, and definately not because they give a damn about the environment.

Branden

Current commercial electric trucks that are in use in Europe currently have a 275 mile range so realistically 200+ miles and recharge to 80% in 90 minutes
That works okay in Europe, in countries where the charging infrastructure is well established and given the average distances. The top speed is usually under 70mph which again is more than enough in most of Europe. Of course they cost a huge amount of money, but government mandates mean they are being bought.

In the USA however with the longer distances, higher speeds and lack of charging stations, it's going to be challenging to make them work for long haul over the road stuff. More than likely they will be used in states like CA in areas such as the ports where government mandates require them.

Exactly, how do they believe a long haul trucker can make their deadlines or make it profitable.

Anyone know if cold weather effects these batteries in these trucks?

Reactions: BLEE
So, millions of gas stations and millions of auto shops go out of business.
That should improve the economy greatly....bigly....hugely even.
Machine shops, parts suppliers, OEM manufacturers....and that's just the tip.
The tip of my dick they can suck.

"Gas Stations" as you know them would change if EVs become the primary game in town.
What it will mean is that "Charging Stations" will be centered around places that you can stop and do something for about 45 minutes or so.
So expect them to be setup at places that provide food or shopping or relaxation or such.

To give you an idea, one of the guys that does a lot of 621 mile runs for road trips averages 10.5 to 13 hours for doing a trip on European highways, including charging time. (Assuming starting with a full battery)

Materials for making batteries are said to run out by 2050 which is about the time they stated that we will run out of fossil fuels. The only hope comes from childhood and HO Race Cars, nuclear power plants powering electric rails in the roads for electric cars.

Exactly, how do they believe a long haul trucker can make their deadlines or make it profitable.

Cold and heat both lower the battery range.
High 50s to low 60s is the optimal temperature and then range goes down as you get further away from that.
Extreme cold would greatly diminish the range while Extreme heat would greatly diminish the amount of available output power.

So, millions of gas stations and millions of auto shops go out of business.
That should improve the economy greatly....bigly....hugely even.
Machine shops, parts suppliers, OEM manufacturers....and that's just the tip.
The tip of my dick they can suck.
If they did it over 50 years the transition should be able to be about painless, without just outright fucking people. As tech changes, shops change with it. It's the sudden changes, that are massively drastic, are where people get fucked. Any manufacture should have it in their business model to be fluid with integration of new technologies, and be able to stay on top of things. Fuel stations start to bring in charging ports over time via capital investment, and even government and private grants. Over that period of time a whole new generation of people come in who've grown up with the new tech, and themselves are able to react and adapt to the changing markets. 2035 is a tight timeline, but doable. Think about how different things are today vs 13 years ago. They're doing a tight timeline because they want to be around to enjoy the fruits of their actions. At least that's how I see it. I'm not against change, i'm against abrupt change when it's just not necessary because it will cause more harm then good. The green movement was already happening without government influence. Private equity was going to be the first to do it because the money the .gov was giving out via grants was being wasted because of a lack of accountability. Think the solar company during Obama's administration that was a big scandal because it went bankrupt after millions given to it by the .gov. Musk figured out that if you wanted people to think about EV's, you had to make 'em damn fast, and that's what he did. If his cars weren't so damn fast, he woulda ran out of cash a long time ago, and been unable to find more funding. The interiors are absolute shit on his cars, and yet he sells every single one he can make, as fast as he can make 'em. If I was told tomorrow that my diesel truck, and gas cars were no longer road worthy, and the only way I would be able to get around was if I purchased an EV, i'm screwed. There wouldn't be any trade in, or private sale value of my suddenly no longer road worthy ICE cars, and the used market forEV's in that scenario would be horrendous. Provide incentives over a long enough period of time, and they will naturally phase themselves out, all without fucking people over.

Branden

Materials for making batteries are said to run out by 2050 which is about the time they stated that we will run out of fossil fuels. The only hope comes from childhood and HO Race Cars, nuclear power plants powering electric rails in the roads for electric cars.

There is a lot of very promising new energy storage technology that needs a lot less rare materials.
I would suggest by the 2040 timeframe, energy storage devices will be a lot different than what is being used today.

They were never a long haul trucker, a logger, a 200 ton crane operator, operated a D-10 CAT, a heavy lift helicopter or piloted a trans Atlantic cargo plane... They are people who spent their life listening to some Professor that never held a job in private industry.
Why do we even listen to them... Much more, allow them to run our life ?
1657075635746.png

Reactions: wildcats
Relax.... do you realize how heavily invested in fossil fuels politicians are. Itll be another hundred years before internal combustion engines go away if not longer.

"Gas Stations" as you know them would change if EVs become the primary game in town.
What it will mean is that "Charging Stations" will be centered around places that you can stop and do something for about 45 minutes or so.
So expect them to be setup at places that provide food or shopping or relaxation or such.

To give you an idea, one of the guys that does a lot of 621 mile runs for road trips averages 10.5 to 13 hours for doing a trip on European highways, including charging time. (Assuming starting with a full battery)

That sounds shitty. I used to make an 800 mile drive in less than 12 hours, including 1 long fuel stop (30 ish gallons, so 5-8 minutes).
In the winter there's a good chance I'd have to stop and charge 3-4x during that drive. Fuck that.

When I'm on a trip I want to get where I'm going. I don't want to stop and spend money on stupid shit along the way.

I happened across a YouTube video of a new Ford lightning. They were trying to compare it to a 1500 GMC with the 6.2, towing 8k lbs of toy hauler. The Ford couldn't even make it between charging stations, while the GMC sucked down gas but only had a short refuel time. They made a hell of a commotion about 8mpg in the gasser, but they sure made excuses for the electric that couldn't make 150 miles.

Petroleum is still amazingly energy dense. Until they figure out a truly green super capacitor electrics are still shit for a lot of applications.

It's still less co2 to drive an 80's beater than a new Tesla. Energy required to make the car and battery, and then keep it charged, are horrendous. It's all about the image, while ignoring all the actual science.

It's a great idea actually. We should start with those companies affected only building electric vehicles for the police and miltaries of those countries. No more multifuel trucks or tanks. Only electric. Oh, and replace all those fighter jets with electric ones too. What could possibly go wrong?

With fossil fuels on the chopping block, many clothing companies will be affected too. Looks like we're going back to sustainable cotton boys. But up that UA gear while you can.

So post 2035 we‘ll be paying race fuel prices for 93 octane.

Might as well go high compression and run 110 then.

Cold and heat both lower the battery range.
High 50s to low 60s is the optimal temperature and then range goes down as you get further away from that.
Extreme cold would greatly diminish the range while Extreme heat would greatly diminish the amount of available output power.
My Bolt got the best range when ambient was about 100. When it was around freezing, the batteries used a bit of their power for conditioning (warming) themselves. Range was about 380 miles at 100F ambient and about 220 miles at 32F ambient. I rarely ran the heat or AC. The range and economy displayed was like crack to me. I just bundled up and ran the heated seats and wheel in the winter. Windows down in the summer.

We're already 10-15 years into that 50
Fair 'nuff, however they were just mandating increased fuel mileage requirements, and emissions equipment standards rather than a proposed elimination through legislation. I didn't believe that they were going to go with an outright elimination without a viable replacement option already on the table. It's risky to go this route, what happens when 2030 rolls around and the technology still isn't there, or the manufacturing capability? Do they double down and stick to their guns? Or do they push back the deadline in a way that still provides the incentive to develop or improve existing technology to be able to meet the requirements, basically a kick the can down the road move.

Branden

Reactions: lash
I'm just saying that we're already 10-15 years into the painless transition. All this anti EV internet chatter is nothing but background noise. Charging stations are going up everywhere and at many new gas stations. Do I believe ICEs will be banned? Not any more than I believe any of the other 99% of internet crap that gets parroted back as doomsday gospel. Mega truck stop/gas stations are being built all over right now. Are Buc-ee's and all the other builders planning on shutting those down in the next 30-40 yrs? Of course not.

You do realize that battery technology and research is an accelerating thing, right?

I bet you big money that 10 to 80 - 85% will be less than 15 min in less than 5 years.

You do realize that battery technology and research is an accelerating thing, right?

I bet you big money that 10 to 80 - 85% will be less than 15 min in less than 5 years.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but that would be an exponentially HUGE load on the electrical grid. Brownouts everywhere, and 'roving blackouts' would be the norm.

We're going to have to build more mountains, so that we can build more dams, so that we can flood more valleys, so that we can charge more cars, quickly.

Or build more nuclear (nuke-ular?) reactors. How long does it take to design and build reactor? IKEA?

Reactions: BLEE and lash
Fossil Fuel Burners are going to go away (must go away) as they are a mere transitional solution to the end machine - they *will* become obsolete as newer more powerful engines become available. Everything has it's day....my FIL's grandfather absolutely laughed in the faces of people who transitioned from horses to tractors for farming in the 1940's. He was convinced that they'd be a flash in the pan and the whole concept was stupid and short sighted.

The ICE will go away and Mankind will eventually stop relying on the energy from burning dead plants and learn to produce the energy it needs from as yet unknown technologies. It'll happen if we don't kill ourselves and wipe out Humans before we get smart enough to look forward for solutions instead of back to the Past. To me it's like trying to drive a car while looking in the rear view mirror. Won't work for very long. I wonder how far we'd be along in terms of Transportation Technology if more people were supporting a new Way instead of trying to get rich off the Old Way and dragging their heels.

VooDoo

Generation IV fission reactors will have to be built across the World before any of Pie in the Sky, non hydrocarbon dreams are realized, anything else is insane and will create a collapse of modern society. Batteries are not the solution to storing energy, internal combustion engines burning hydrogen with water vapor exhaust is a solution. Hydrogen made with the use of Generation IV fission reactors. It is not rocket science but Twinkies have to get over their fear of fission reactors. The new fission reactors are night and day from the Generation I reactors and not subject to the same issues. Solar and Wind are a joke on a large scale, Solar is 25% efficient and does nothing when the sun goes down, Wind does not create a steady stream of power and requires all kinds of bells and whistles to condition the output, the machines continuous blow transmissions that freeze up in cold weather.

Generation IV fission reactors will have to be built across the World before any of Pie in the Sky, non hydrocarbon dreams are realized, anything else is insane and will create a collapse of modern society. Batteries are not the solution to storing energy, internal combustion engines burning hydrogen with water vapor exhaust is a solution. Hydrogen made with the use of Generation IV fission reactors. It is not rocket science but Twinkies have to get over their fear of fission reactors. The new fission reactors are night and day from the Generation I reactors and not subject to the same issues. Solar and Wind are a joke on a large scale, Solar is 25% efficient and does nothing when the sun goes down, Wind does not create a steady stream of power and requires all kinds of bells and whistles to condition the output, the machines continuous blow transmissions that freeze up in cold weather.

Quoted for truth

I'd take that wager.
They've been spouting the same bullshit for the past 10-15 years.

Well, that and Afghanistan.
The worlds largest deposit of rare earth ores was there.....and Bidet gave it to China.
Oh, yet another twist.
Remember, China copies, it does not innovate.

I'd take that wager.
They've been spouting the same bullshit for the past 10-15 years.

Well, that and Afghanistan.
The worlds largest deposit of rare earth ores was there.....and Bidet gave it to China.
Oh, yet another twist.
Remember, China copies, it does not innovate.

So, you post a link to a company that is vying for a government grant ?
And it even shows the grant is cancelled after they received $3.8 million ?

You did see this, right ?
ARPA-E Program Director:
Dr. Ping Liu

Project was cancelled in 2015.
Like I said, they have been spouting that shit forever.
Nothing has surfaced yet.

So, you post a link to a company that is vying for a government grant ?
And it even shows the grant is cancelled after they received $3.8 million ?

You did see this, right ?
ARPA-E Program Director:
Dr. Ping Liu

Project was cancelled in 2015.
Like I said, they have been spouting that shit forever.
Nothing has surfaced yet.

LOL @ fucking luddites

There's more I'm sure but I ain't got time to look it all up for you.

Find a viable non rare earth battery that charges faster than it discharges.
You can't.

Are you really this stupid or do you pretend? I didn't say anything about the state of the art TODAY.

The problem as I see it is that "they" are legislating a transition to something that doesn't really exist - yet. It would be like mandating tires be outlawed by 2035 because levitating transportation causes less wear on the earth. I mean, nice idea and all but until a real viable alternative is readily and affordably available, it is pie in the sky.

They should mandate the required electric energy production - nuke lear or whatever - and mandate grid upgrades FIRST. We all can't drive electric cars if the power generation and grid can't support it. Or maybe that's the point.

How do you know this? I'd like some numbers please.
I don't have 'numbers' that you speak of, but comparatively speaking lets discuss this using air-conditioners. They are a very large load on your electrical panel. Try running your house off of a generator, then turn on your A/C. IF you have a properly rated generator, this will happen without a hitch. If not, then 'problem'.

Now look at it as if everyone on your block were to turn on their A/C at the same time. Or even just within an hour or so. The electrical lines supplying the block are going to be 'loaded'. Sure, there's 'rating factor' and whatnot so the cables/system is somewhat oversized. No argument there. But considering that most people get 'home from work' in and around the same general time, the first thing they'll do is plug in their cars.

And that will be a LOT larger load on the 'grid' than just everyone turning on/up their A/C.

I won't get in to the discussion of 'electrical power circuits are comparable to the hydraulic system process'

E = I x R

or

P = V x R

My main point being, the system itself is not designed for a massive influx of high-load connections. Any vehicle battery that is going to be 'fast-charging' is going to be 'high load'.

It ain't like the magical steaks that come from the magical boxes in the back room, and are set on the supermarket shelves. Those steaks actually come from cows.... no matter what continent you are on.

Unless of course, it is "filet-of-rat" or "hamster brisket" or whatever other Asian delicacies there are to boost their libido.

Are you really this stupid or do you pretend? I didn't say anything about the state of the art TODAY.
You said within 5 years, I get that.
How long after discovery do you think it takes to get to market for something as volatile as a battery that can go boom or erupt in fire ?
5 years ?
So that leaves us where ?

I don't have 'numbers' that you speak of, but comparatively speaking lets discuss this using air-conditioners. They are a very large load on your electrical panel. Try running your house off of a generator, then turn on your A/C. IF you have a properly rated generator, this will happen without a hitch. If not, then 'problem'.

Now look at it as if everyone on your block were to turn on their A/C at the same time. Or even just within an hour or so. The electrical lines supplying the block are going to be 'loaded'. Sure, there's 'rating factor' and whatnot so the cables/system is somewhat oversized. No argument there. But considering that most people get 'home from work' in and around the same general time, the first thing they'll do is plug in their cars.

And that will be a LOT larger load on the 'grid' than just everyone turning on/up their A/C.

I won't get in to the discussion of 'electrical power circuits are comparable to the hydraulic system process'

E = I x R

or

P = V x R

My main point being, the system itself is not designed for a massive influx of high-load connections. Any vehicle battery that is going to be 'fast-charging' is going to be 'high load'.

It ain't like the magical steaks that come from the magical boxes in the back room, and are set on the supermarket shelves. Those steaks actually come from cows.... no matter what continent you are on.

Unless of course, it is "filet-of-rat" or "hamster brisket" or whatever other Asian delicacies there are to boost their libido.

Batteries are not inductive loads, like motors are. Apples to oranges.

Also, did it ever occur to you that EV chargers are not dumb on/off systems but have a significant amount of built in intelligence and sensing capability? Did it occur to you that they can be programmed to start charging at a low rate and then speed up over time, and can even sense their supply voltage and current and adjust their charge rate accordingly?

This is a case where a little knowledge is a bad thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
You said within 5 years, I get that.
How long after discovery do you think it takes to get to market for something as volatile as a battery that can go boom or erupt in fire ?
5 years ?
So that leaves us where ?

Do NiMH or lead-acid batteries have the same fire risk as Li-Ion? What about other batteries made out of different electro-chemistries that neither you or I know nothing about?

I don't think you know WTF you're talking about, really. I don't either but at least I don't pretend I do.

We all can't drive electric cars if the power generation and grid can't support it. Or maybe that's the point.

The optimist in me thinks that this is just typical government stupidity at work.

The realist in me is thinking that the quote is more like reality

never ....
ain't no one writing songs about there electric toasters

Last edited:
Reactions: 6.5SH

E = I x R

or

P = V x R

There will undoubtedly need to be a major overhaul of our utilities in every major city across north America for solar energy and battery charging to take place on a large scale.

I don’t have any numbers for data either, just what I've learned in the training I've taken as an electrician. Right now, in Calgary, and I'm sure in plenty of other cities across the continent, there are restrictions with how many homes in a lot of neighborhoods can be run off solar power. The problem is the increased load back onto the grid, because the excess power has to go somewhere. Couple that with the power being produced by utilities companies, and we're in overload territory.

Same goes for battery chargers. Most chargers in people's homes are smart chargers that do most of the charging at night when prices are lower and there is less load on the grid. Once everyone is doing the same thing, this is no longer going to be the cheaper part of the day to charge your vehicle. You'll have heaters and A/C on during the day, and mass charging going on at night.

Put the 2 of those together, and there will be major problems for areas where the grid is already close to capacity. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see a major demand for electricians and power linesman in the next 10-20 years

Reactions: Sean the Nailer