• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Energy independence

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017

Line your roof with solar panels and install a storage battery bank. Install an underground propane tank and change your major appliances to run on it. Dig a well.

Do these things even if you live in suburbia. Do as much as possible without knowledge from authorities.

Damn, if only some of some on here foreshadowed that a few months ago as a tongue-in-cheek satirical comment about how a commie Eurasia government could fuck it's own citizenry and "it could happen here"...

I thought whoever said that was kinda "out there" and they politicians would never go to that level anywhere in the US... but yet, here we are... the Dems are continually showing their true authoritarian colors over and over again.

Buy more ammo/water/food.

Agree with us or else, the communist way.

30 years ago when in the entertainment business the different government agencies wouldn't let us have power for temporary events as though it a viable threat as we had generator backups for power failures....
    And the retirement BOL has solar, well, and propane. Having all the fights back in the day taught me to never trust in a corrupt system.

These places are going to be just like NYC begging rich folks to come back, very soon. Turns out the people who pay all the bills would like to live in peace and they can afford to relocate. More so now that working in the office is not required.

One benefit if this is that people finally realized, en mass, that we don’t all need to crowd into cities just to work at a desk while connected to the internet.

Texas doesn’t have to beg.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    I Believe the law says you can only feed the Solar volts back into the grid I don’t believe you could get a company to install it otherwise So unless you ran electrical engineer....
    Correct. I can't think of one municipality that allows power storage on your own property. You shall be connected to the grid so they can make money off the solar energy you harvest for them and they force you to give to them.

Tap a neighbors power, and internet. Make a copy of their car keys. Put a small shim in the back sliding door. Bang the neighbors wife. Just not all the same neighbor ( unless all the neighbors wives are hot )

Oh wait, dammit freaking internet.

• Love
    Reactions: Mr.BR
    Correct. I can't think of one municipality that allows power storage on your own property. You shall be connected to the grid so they can make money off the solar energy you harvest for them and they force you to give to them.
    I have never heard of this an the people I know that have solar have batteries also and all was installed by the same contractors. This is TX and NM.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    PG&E has a program to put batteries in homes. https://www.pge.com/en_US/residenti...attery-storage-for-residential-customers.page

There's even a State of California incentive program for those qualified. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB700

start your own leftist forced labor camp make them useful to your city thousands of them forced to run on tread mills to produce power they want communism give it to them remove there free will choices and rights make them physically see what they are working for .I can imagine thousands of such interment camps all across the country producing work crews to clean up cities the blm and antifa have run ruff shot over and in California its a great free answer to the power problem . giant hamster wheels now run lol

I thought it funny people were willing to pay the money to get off of their cities grids while a bunch of cities passed laws preventing people from cutting the cord and not pay the power companies lol dammed if you do and dammed if you don't do .

One benefit of this is that people finally realized, en mass, that we don’t all need to crowd into cities just to work at a desk while connected to the internet.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. If there’s a silver lining to this mess, it’s this.

You should only have live in a big city if you WANT to live in that city, not just because your industry is based there and your employer requires you to live near an office. So glad the status quo gravity of this unquestioned mass delusion is finally getting tested.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. If there’s a silver lining to this mess, it’s this.

You should only have live in a big city if you WANT to live in that city, not just because your industry is based there and your employer requires you to live near an office. So glad the status quo gravity of this unquestioned mass delusion is finally getting tested.
    I rather like the shit heads being confined to the cities. In fact, there’s many more that need to move to one.

Yeah but I hate having to be in one for work

Once all the people who ONLY live in them for high paying jobs leave the cost of living will come down and more people who actually like big city life and want to live in them can. Everybody wins.

I have no sympathy for those who chose city careers or hired onto city employers. It's like those who bitched and moaned in the Marine Corps when we had to go invade countries and do Marine shit, don't complain about what you asked for.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Totalitarian regimes since the dawn of time, beginning with the Assyrian empire, preferred to have their populations to live in cities... Easier to control and easier to ration the distribution of resources. The Assyrians had made very good use of floodgates on the Tigris and Euphrates to set the amount of water their populations can receive...

The history of city occupation vs. rural life has always swung like a pendulum. Safety from warlords, flee disease, safety from invading armies, flee famine, business opportunities, flee crime. Look at the history of Rome and other Italian cities, it's rather interesting to see how it rose up from the Earth to become the greatest city in all the world, fell and was swallowed up by the river and woods, and rose back up again centuries later in a return to glory.

We're in the fleeing disease stage again (with a dash of fleeing crime), and what a little bitch of a disease it is that is making the rats bail. I'd hate so see what a real plague would do. Or like to see it. I'm feeling rather genocide spectator~ish lately...

The whole point is to be independent of government utilities, so fuck the permit and dig it.
    FYI, In Tucson AZ which is north of me, the municipal wells are at 1,500 feet right now. I suppose it could be done, but it would be hard to hide it from the Karens while you went rogue.

Reactions: Jgunner
    FYI, In Tucson AZ which is north of me, the municipal wells are at 1,500 feet right now. I suppose it could be done, but it would be hard to hide it from the Karens while you went rogue.
    Living in the desert kinda sucks for water independence.......

Reactions: AMGtuned
    I have no sympathy for those who chose city careers or hired onto city employers. It's like those who bitched and moaned in the Marine Corps when we had to go invade countries and do Marine shit, don't complain about what you asked for.

Eh, I wouldn’t expect everyone to understand. Empathy isn’t exactly common.

start your own leftist forced labor camp make them useful to your city thousands of them forced to run on tread mills to produce power they want communism give it to them remove there free will choices and rights make them physically see what they are working for .I can imagine thousands of such interment camps all across the country producing work crews to clean up cities the blm and antifa have run ruff shot over and in California its a great free answer to the power problem . giant hamster wheels now run lol

Black Mirror is way ahead of you.... like in most things, they are prophetic.

I Believe the law says you can only feed the Solar volts back into the grid I don’t believe you could get a company to install it otherwise So unless you ran electrical engineer....
    Mine is grid tied but there is a breaker or cutoff between the solar/wind power and the grid. I also have the batteries in place with a generator in the event the grid goes. Btw, if the grid goes and you don’t have a cutoff then all power still goes into the grid, not your home. FWIW, the generator is not to power the house but recharge the batteries unlike many setups. Any competent solar person can easily explain the good/bad of either grid tied or fully off grid. FWIW, my shop is off grid completely and works fine.
    What the utility companies DO have to do, at least here, is provide a 2 way meter. It actually runs backward pretty much all summer long. There can actually be a credit on your bill.
    Anyone contemplating putting this in should decide what they want to run and what the STARTING load is to figure your needs NOT the running load. You cover the starting load and you should be fine.
    Also, buy bigger than you need. Guarantee you’ve either forgotten things or will add stuff later.
    Fridge and freezers, check out Sunfrost.

edit: forgot, you want full sine wave inverters etc as the others can pop TVs and computers and other sensitive electronics.

Dewey what size generator to charge your batteries? I am looking at this and the battery bank heating up means a smaller one may be more efficient?

You can get enough of a large roof but a lot of governments are trying to make that illegal also. I know of a barn with 14k gallons inside in tanks fed off of the barns gutters.
    fuck the government

Build an underground cistern and drive all downspouts to it

you could try building your own nuclear reactor just don't be like this kid and get caught .
    he did not need no sinking badges he glowed in the dark all on his own .

The history of city occupation vs. rural life has always swung like a pendulum. Safety from warlords, flee disease, safety from invading armies, flee famine, business opportunities, flee crime. Look at the history of Rome and other Italian cities, it's rather interesting to see how it rose up from the Earth to become the greatest city in all the world, fell and was swallowed up by the river and woods, and rose back up again centuries later in a return to glory.

We're in the fleeing disease stage again (with a dash of fleeing crime), and what a little bitch of a disease it is that is making the rats bail. I'd hate so see what a real plague would do. Or like to see it. I'm feeling rather genocide spectator~ish lately...

You and me both

I'll bring beer if you bring popcorn

I'm not affillated with the company in any way, other than a 'customer', but with all this talk of batteries and whatnot,,, anyone else here use PulseTech products on their wet-cell's?

The problem I have with this is then the state knows you have something on the property. At some point they may choose to tax those with solar to support PGE's expenses.

And not that I have a problem with PGE. I cant tell you how I have grown to love standing dead black trees. going to get a bumper sticker that says "Black is the new green"

Not long ago I drove up Highway 70 and it was miles of dead black trees. Got up to Greenville.......mostly gone. Got to Canyon Dam.....gone. Around Lake Almanor.....gone.

And now that I am pissed all over again......When the fires were raging I went through a little town down some not commonly traveled roads. There were dozens of pickups from all sorts of agencies....San Fransisco Fire, Redding fire, Cal fire, burbank fire, Cal fire, Cal fire, etc. All of them with one guy in them with the windows up, AC on and looking at phones. I could see flames from there. Not a cal fire crew in site. But what I did see were people from town, local loggers, construction crews all working to stop the spread.

I KNOW.....this is not a bitch thread about fires or government employees. Just pisses me off. Every time I see a PGE truck I flip them off with the same emotional intelligence of a 13 year old.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming........

cut my power think of the savings when I cut my paying taxes lol like they would allow that trade off nation wide

then it would only take me 900 years and more organs than any human could have to save up to buy this car

fastest-cars-world-2021-Devel-Sixteen-luxe-digital%402x.jpg

lol with jars of pennies and many many dump trucks full of those pennies yup it's going to happen even if they have to wheel me to showroom in an urn . or sprinkle my ashes inside a tiny bit make it Christine of 2021

Just went thru a short learning process for FL with solar. The only thing I have ever found was a requirement about IF you tied your (insert alternate power source) to the electrical grid. So as long as your system is off-grid (hence not tied to the grid) the local power utility companies can't say shit or do anything.

With that any sort of home battery storage system needs thought. A reliable back up power generator is an easy answer to help with a full on solar/battery system.

Yes if feeding power back to the grid you’ll need an interconnect agreement with your utility. If they don’t do that the best solution IMO is to get a sol-ark or multiple sol-arks and set the unit not to backfeed. Excess power will feed your batteries and during an outage or at any time you like (peak pricing hours) you can run on your batteries. If you do a whole home you won’t even notice the grid outage as the transfer time to running off your batts is .004s. When the batteries reach a level of depletion you pre-set (maybe 20% for lithium) you have it auto-start your gen to recharge your batts. Get solar + sol-ark + batteries + generator and run indefinitely if you manage your power usage. A few bad solar days in a row and you run your generator to for a couple hours to recharge your batteries so you can run your house for a couple days. Saves a lot of fuel and wear and tear on your generator.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    If they don’t do that the best solution IMO is to get a sol-ark or multiple sol-arks and set the unit not to backfeed.
    Well if you keep it off the grid ( not tied in any way to the grid) it's can't back feed anything......right??

Well if you keep it off the grid ( not tied in any way to the grid) it's can't back feed anything......right??
    Thats right. In that case i wouldn’t even ask. However if going from on-grid to off-grid you may throw some flags to the power company and they may report you. Inspector may pay a visit and see your solar stuff and cause you problems. Fucking devils I tell you.

Thats right. In that case i wouldn’t even ask. However if going from on-grid to off-grid you may throw some flags to the power company and they may report you. Inspector may pay a visit and see your solar stuff and cause you problems. Fucking devils I tell you.

No need to stop using one 15A breaker to keep "the man" off your back. We found some people going so far as to say they would build a house using a panel with one 15A breaker connected to "the grid". Then install a completely separated "off-grid" panel that connects the house to the solar/battery system.

No need to stop using one 15A breaker to keep "the man" off your back. We found some people going so far as to say they would build a house using a panel with one 15A breaker connected to "the grid". Then install a completely separated "off-grid" panel that connects the house to the solar/battery system.
    I would just take the grid power and feed it directly in to the sol-ark and then set the sol-ark to not backfeed. Same end result as yours except you still have full use of the grid if you want or need it.

The problem I have with this is then the state knows you have something on the property. At some point they may choose to tax those with solar to support PGE's expenses.

And not that I have a problem with PGE. I cant tell you how I have grown to love standing dead black trees. going to get a bumper sticker that says "Black is the new green"

Not long ago I drove up Highway 70 and it was miles of dead black trees. Got up to Greenville.......mostly gone. Got to Canyon Dam.....gone. Around Lake Almanor.....gone.

And now that I am pissed all over again......When the fires were raging I went through a little town down some not commonly traveled roads. There were dozens of pickups from all sorts of agencies....San Fransisco Fire, Redding fire, Cal fire, burbank fire, Cal fire, Cal fire, etc. All of them with one guy in them with the windows up, AC on and looking at phones. I could see flames from there. Not a cal fire crew in site. But what I did see were people from town, local loggers, construction crews all working to stop the spread.

I KNOW.....this is not a bitch thread about fires or government employees. Just pisses me off. Every time I see a PGE truck I flip them off with the same emotional intelligence of a 13 year old.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming........
    The mismanagement of natural resources (forest, water, oil, natural gas, coal, fresh air) is leading to the downfall of America. I started a topic thread where things that are obviously contributing to our downfall can be discussed. Why are those burn areas not in the national news ?