• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Engagement Ring

Re: Engagement Ring

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MartyM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked for months to find something that was unique. I found it at Philip Press's shop. http://www.philippress.com/ All the work is done by hand. Truly amazing. I drove to LA to talk to him in person, but he has dealers accords the U.S. </div></div>

Thats awesome stuff right there.
I guess since she loads you ammo its a deal!

I had the pleasure of going to a diamond broker to buy my wife's ring. He was a business associate of my Dad's so I A$$uME that you can't just walk in off the street but I could be wrong. I have always made a habit to see where the retail shops get theirs from and jewelry is no exception. I had been to Zales, Kay, J.B Robinson etc. etc. and for a decent 1/2 carat solitaire in a setting I was looking at $3K (1989).

The fella asked if I knew what I was looking for.
I said "Kind of.".
I guess he could read the look on my face, "OK how much do you want to spend?"
I said $3K and he starts pulling down glascine envelopes (like you would keep stamps in) and starts dumping out 1.0 - 1.75 carat stones.

Long story short. After a one hour lesson in diamonds I chose a perfect (IF) .51 carat "G" stone with a matching set of baggets at .12 each. He threw in the ring as a engagement present (I think it cost $98.00) $1,200 DONE!

The part I didn't know is that stones like that are not normally set in yellow gold (10K white gold is preferred because it's stronger, so I'm told). I'm off at Desert Storm and the wife goes into a jewelry shop at the mall and thy are having a "Free Ring Cleaning". The chickie behind the counter announces out "LOUD" to my wife of 3 months on her first deployment that the stone is a fake for the above reason. My wife is not one to be shamed in public and out came the claws and fangs. 20 minuets later the "manager/diamond expert" is trying apologize to my wife and the chickie is leaving her place of previous employment with her cheap mascara running down her face.

Needless to say the head was replaced w/ white gold, and the stones will blind you in the right light.

Cheers,

Doc

Reactions: W54/XM-388

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MartyM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked for months to find something that was unique. I found it at Philip Press's shop. http://www.philippress.com/ All the work is done by hand. Truly amazing. I drove to LA to talk to him in person, but he has dealers accords the U.S. </div></div>

Thats awesome stuff right there.
I guess since she loads you ammo its a deal! </div></div>

Ha, yeah, I wish lol. Signature is a joke. Just something I said to her one time. The look she gave me was priceless. Kind of this wide mouthed, "Is he for real?!" look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carlkit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with the people who are saying not to buy online and go to your local jeweler. It's a well known fact that most jewelers are way more expensive than online companies - online jewelers don't have inventory or overhead expenses so everything is naturally going to be cheaper because the nature of running your business is drastically cheaper. I run my own online paper business - I don't have stores nor do I have very many employees, which allows me to offer cheaper prices.
But I digress...
I highly recommend purchasing a ring online - I had a great experience with James Allen, but I hear that Blue Nile and Gemvara are good as well. In the end, I went with James Allen mostly because they had a 2-month full policy, on the off chance that she didn't like the ring. We didn't end up needing to use it but it definitely made me feel less nervous when I was making a big purchase like that.
Anyways, good luck with the search and congrats on finding a woman!</div></div>

I too had a great experience with James Allen. I looked into BN as well, but went with James Allen because the customer service reps were very helpful and not annoying or pushy. I actually wasn't too nervous about ordering online because I had a few friends who did it and had good experiences. With all the precautions these companies take, there's really no reason to worry. The ring is beautiful and I saved a lot of money, which always makes me happy! Good Luck on your search.

Reactions: Yasherka and tnc
And here I was going to weigh in......

I’m gonna bend a nail i to a circle and use some solder to hold on a pebble from the driveway!

Most likely one that can control the mountain lion telepathically, has hairier legs than me, and a beard to rival yours would be my best guess.

Perhaps something with little bit more class would be more appropriate.

ETA: fix spelling error

Last edited:
And here I was going to weigh in......

I’m gonna bend a nail i to a circle and use some solder to hold on a pebble from the driveway!

That was my final though after going through 'picking out the perfect ring'.

First of all Id never get 'married'.

Second, if she wants a big piece expensive of compressed carbon for her finger, she can go buy it herself. Ill spend that money on a down payment for a house. Ever tried to sell a "used" diamond Bwahahaha

Maybe thats why Im single?

Besides... we need a few more romantic and happily-ever-after threads in the Bear Pit. We're so Negative all the time...

37831866_10215085501944675_4008108156877012992_n.jpg

Reactions: Maggot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll spare you the "don't get married jokes"...</div></div> I won't.

What are the three rings of marriage?

The engagement-ring, the wedding-ring and the suffer-ring!
Hahaha, this was about three weeks following my divorce going final. Six years later, few more hundred thousand in alimony and child support poorer, and that was still the best half mil I ever spent. Youngest just rolled over 14, four more years of that and I'm finally done with their mother for fucking ever. I can't wait...

Don't be a dumbass boys, think before you breed. Get a fucking DNA test on each other too if you can, make sure there's no genetic CSC indicators (Crazy Slut Cunt) in her, and for fuck's sake, don't ever think you can "rescue" someone. As the wise Admiral Akbar said, "It's a TRAP!!!"

Ask her what she wants and go from there. My wife was happy with the $400 engagement ring I bought her. Hell her wedding ring was $750 or so. Told her for her wedding ring that I would spend more, but in her own words.......a ring is something to get lost, broken, or anything else. We will still be just as married with a $50 ring or a $7k ring.

I agree though talk with her mom, sisters, friends and anyone else close to her.

Hahaha, this was about three weeks following my divorce going final. Six years later, few more hundred thousand in alimony and child support poorer, and that was still the best half mil I ever spent. Youngest just rolled over 14, four more years of that and I'm finally done with their mother for fucking ever. I can't wait...

Don't be a dumbass boys, think before you breed. Get a fucking DNA test on each other too if you can, make sure there's no genetic CSC indicators (Crazy Slut Cunt) in her, and for fuck's sake, don't ever think you can "rescue" someone. As the wise Admiral Akbar said, "It's a TRAP!!!"

Theres no silver bullet (unfortunately lead is illegal). A buddy of mine married a girl, adopted her young son, and the day the adoption was finalized she filled divorce papers. It was in Texas which always takes the side of the bitch so she got 1/4 or so of his income until the kid was 18.

Theres no silver bullet (unfortunately lead is illegal). A buddy of mine married a girl, adopted her young son, and the day the adoption was finalized she filled divorce papers. It was in Texas which always takes the side of the bitch so she got 1/4 or so of his income until the kid was 18.

Unfortunately, that story sounds far too familiar.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I gave mine a pre-engagement ring, sort of a place-holder, and then I went out with her to the jewelers, down the road a few years, and I let her pick "the real one" out, a few months after she and I agreed that we needed to be together. The bands, I picked, mostly because she couldn't decide.

I've been a jeweler, professionally, since 1998 and I'll offer the same advice I offer all of my customers.

Don't buy online. Find a local jeweler you can trust. Your local guy's prices on diamonds should be within 10-15% of what you see on the big online sites.

A certified diamond isn't a bad idea. A "cert." is just a second opinion from an independant lab. <span style="font-weight: bold"> Whatever you do don't believe anything printed on an EGL cert.</span> These certificates are so consistantly high graded that if I sell a stone with an EGL cert the cert goes in the trash and it is sold as uncertified. GIA is a trustworthy organization.

Buy a stone that is "eye clean" with no visible inclusions to the naked eye. This means SI1 and better, sometimes SI2 stones qualifiy. Also get a stone that is near colorless or better. This means I or better in color.

If you are going to spend a little extra on something, get a well cut stone. Don't rule out a Lazar ideal cut or a hearts and arrows. Cut is the most important characteristic of a diamond once you get into the eye clean/near colorless range of stones.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy a treated diamond. </span> If someone is pushing a "clarity enhanced" or "Yahuda" stone run away screaming. These stones start as heavily included crap that no one will buy. The shit in the stone is burned out with a laser, then the cavities are filled with glue or glass. You will have nothing but grief with these stones.

Metals are expensive right now, consequently, many mass produced pieces are light and thin, avoid these, they will cost you money in repairs down the road. Buy heavier rings and stay away from micro-pave. Micro-pave is in style now, this is the stuff with a bunch of tiny diamonds set all over it. The stones are easily lost. If you are having the ring made and want that look, a good jeweler can set a slightly larger stone in the pave style and they will probably hold up better.

You can save money by buying a diamond that isn't a round brilliant cut. Ovals, Marquise, Pears, Emerald cuts and to a lesser extent princess cut stones are cheaper than rounds. There is no cut grade for fancy shaped stones.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me
[email protected]
-
Just went though this last month . Had to find a Diamond and repair the Wife's wedding ring . She broke one of the posts off the center raised setting and lost the center stone about 2 years ago .
I went to a local jeweler I know, and he does my watch clean/repair work . I also know he really competent on the soldering work . He gave me a fair price and 'quality' stone and good solder work .

He laid out several Diamonds out in front of me and it was obvious to ( my untrained eye ) which was dirty and which ones stood out and was cleaner with a good cut . Those really stand out above the rest and refract light and sparkle .
Also.. ..Even if the Diamond with the better cut & quality was a few points small in size than the bigger Diamond . Your eye auto went right to the better cleaner cut .
And I had him also put 'stronger' 6-Post raised center setting to hold the center stone . as it will take a lot more abuse of knocks and scrapes .

So.... Sneaked it out of her dresser and fixed it and , ' Surprise' .. Gave it to her at coffee shop on morning of her Birthdays July 2nd last month . Was good to see her happy .

-
Just went though this last month . Had to find a Diamond and repair the Wife's wedding ring . She broke one of the posts off the center raised setting and lost the center stone about 2 years ago .
I went to a local jeweler I know, and he does my watch clean/repair work . I also know he really competent on the soldering work . He gave me a fair price and 'quality' stone and good solder work .

He laid out several Diamonds out in front of me and it was obvious to ( my untrained eye ) which was dirty and which ones stood out and was cleaner with a good cut . Those really stand out above the rest and refract light and sparkle .
Also.. ..Even if the Diamond with the better cut & quality was a few points small in size than the bigger Diamond . Your eye auto went right to the better cleaner cut .
And I had him also put 'stronger' 6-Post raised center setting to hold the center stone . as it will take a lot more abuse of knocks and scrapes .

So.... Sneaked it out of her dresser and fixed it and , ' Surprise' .. Gave it to her at coffee shop on morning of her Birthdays July 2nd last month . Was good to see her happy .
Man, that was a stud move....

One of the few times I actually stood out as a Gent . she most definitely my better half .
No matter what the woman say's . If she picked the Ring out for marrying your dumb ass . that one ring is going to be always special to her .

Reactions: oneshot86
It will be beatbox to shops with her and pick something together, surprises are nice but you don’t want to get your woman a ring she doesn’t like. It will be on you forever. Better yet, have something customized for her.

When you first get married you have house sex, you have sex everywhere in the house.

After a few years you have bedroom sex, sex now only happens in the bedroom.

A few more years pass and you have hall sex, as you pass each other in the hallway you tell each other to go fuck yourselves.

Do not get her what she wants. Do not get that two month's salary bs. Go to you rlocal jewelry shop, and tell then you want a fake stone in the cheapest setting they have for less than $70 for the acid test. Bust that out and put it on her finger. f she goes nuts and tries to kill you, send her on her way. If she is cool wiht it, you got a real winner. Winner, well, get your ass back to the jewelry shop and buy a really nice stone under 1/2 carat. Make sure it is flawless. She will love it. Buy the matching wedding ring to go with it.
All you suckers who go out and spend thousands on 1 - 2 carat stones, wtf are you thinking? That has zip to do with love or anything remotely to a long term relationship. Al it does do is put thousands of dollars into some dumb shit that she gets to hang out in her friends and anyone else who will look faces. Screw Jarad, screw two month's salary. If she doesn;t just love the fact you are marrying her and hopefully giving her a sensible home(she has to clean the thing, so stay away from big ass houses), besides, small stones on her fingers, moderrte houses means two things:
Nicer vacations
More toys
Very good advice here! That's what I did and still married 23 yrs later! That ring don't make em wanna fuck any more either!!