• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Enhanced Drivers License ???

KBR97

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2011
NY
Anyone have the EDL? I'm thinking about getting one to travel on a Caribbean cruise this year. I don't have a passport and figured this was alot cheaper and easier to get.

Anyone have issues using their EDL on a cruise entering and leaving the US and other islands?

Cost of EDL for 2 people - $110
Cost of new passports for 2 people - little over $260

Re: Enhanced Drivers License ???

I thought about getting one but it's no good outside of Mexico and Canada IIRC so the smart money was just to get the conventional book style passport that can be used world wide.

wow did the passport fees jump up this last year? i don't remember it costing us 260 for my wife and myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulzeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow did the passport fees jump up this last year? i don't remember it costing us 260 for my wife and myself. </div></div>They are $110 each + a $25 processing fee.

From what I've been reading they (EDL) are for land/sea travel only. No air travel. So a holder can drive into mexico or canada, and also visit and return from caribbean islands by boat.

EDL can be used for cruise trips most of the time. Most cruises are considered closed loop trips and your fine with an EDL. If any of the countries your visiting require you to have a passport for entry then most likely your travel agent won't book your cruise without one. For U.S. requirements you need to have a WHIT compliant document i.e. passport, passport card or EDL to enter from sea. Easiest thing to do is contact the cruise line for the cruise you want to take and ask the requirements for the countries your going to visit.

I almost went for the EDL but when asking about it and checking into it I found it wasn't worth the trouble. Even my local DMV said it wasn't worth it.

Swallow the initial cost of the passport and it's good for 10 years. Then if you decide to do some traveling outside of Mexico & Canada you have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KBR97</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulzeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow did the passport fees jump up this last year? i don't remember it costing us 260 for my wife and myself. </div></div>They are $110 each + a $25 processing fee.

From what I've been reading they (EDL) are for land/sea travel only. No air travel. So a holder can drive into mexico or canada, and also visit and return from caribbean islands by boat.
</div></div>

Since when does the State Department charge $25 extra for processing?

When I renewed my passport they charged $25 for the expedited service,which included faster shipping.