• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Enlisting in the military???

I had the right attitude. I had that beaten out of me (partially literally). There were precisely 0 people from my unit who had the "right attitude" after 4 years. We were treated that poorly.

Do you love your freedom? If yes, then don't join the military.

I had an overall good experience in the Navy. I had to give up some freedoms temporarily but it was basically a just a job. I would do it over again. I have worked with many Marines and they felt the same way.

I was an Aviation Electronics Technician. Maybe being a grunt sucks but a technical job doesn't.

Well, you could finish the degree, get a job at a local VA doing physical therapy and rehabilitation with injured vets.

This.^^^
I can tell you there are a lot of guys that are in some serious need of help after the last decade plus of war in two theaters. Your medical and rehabilitation training can do wonders. Often it seems like a thankless job in the media and other sources, but for even the one man or woman you help walk again, or hold their children again, or any other task we all take for granted, you will have changed their life for the better. You will have made difference in the life of someone who is likely very disheartened. Your skill sets are incredibly valuable to the right people. If you've followed what's going on with the VA at all you know what I'm talking about. Hell, you could bring those same injured Vets into the coaching world. If injured, I would personally like to still be able to give back to my community and investing in the health and education of our children seems like the best way to do that. You are making a difference now in the lives of those kids right now whether you know it or not.

I just finished my first (and only) enlistment in the Marines. I don't know how much "softer" the USAF, all macho shit aside, but I assume there is some of the same issues you'll face concerning politics and what I like to call "Military efficiency".

There is no way in hell I would ENLIST at 37. There are too many grown children that will take pleasure in making the old guy do stupid shit. Maybe the AF is different, but we had guys that were in their late 20's and early 30's with college degrees (not dumbasses, honestly really good guys) that got shit on daily because they were a PFC or lance cooly, and the SGT had a point to prove. The only thing you can do is do what you're told, or get shit on worse. Right or wrong, that's how it is. Rank is rank, and you get treated as you rate.

You'll be required to fall in line with the rest of the little 17-19 year old kids out of highschool and you'll get treated just like all of them for a year or possibly more. You may get promoted faster because your work ethic and maturity will be better, but there will be times when the kids get promoted faster than you etc. etc... And it's not like you can get fed up with it. They have your ass for 3+ years.

If you have college, I would go officer and that could maybe work for you at 37 a lot smoother than enlisting. The reserves may also be a decent option. Full-time active duty junior enlisted at 37, however... I would advise against it.

I'm at 20 years active AF and I'm 39yo. I will retire next year. I have loved almost every minute of it, but it's time for me to move on.

It is a great life and me and my family have traveled the world and have probably visited 20+ countries on several continents.

Most likely unless you're close friends with a Contoller you have little to no idea what they do. I know several guys your age that have made in CRO and CCT. It is tough on them. If you have pre-existing injuries you may be hosed.

If you want to join, I'd suggest medical as an O.

If you want to live out your dream of being an Operator, then the AF is going to dissapoint regardless of AFSC. You will be sacrificing your family life no matter what. Not saying some of our guys aren't OAF, but it's a fraction of the fraction and with wars end it'll only get smaller.

Gotta go, I'll chime in again.

Sent from my mind via apathy.

[MENTION=44986]coach4christ[/MENTION] thanks, now that I know I have till 39 I will have to run this by the wife... maybe my 16 year old daughter (who is looking at it) and I could enlist together and she could boss her ol man around... I have a feeling I am in for a good conversation tonight, LOL...

Here's another approach similar to what has been said. In the Corps, it was God, Country, Corps. No family but the brothers around you. You are the Provider, Protector and Counselor of your home now. I think it would be a whole new set of stressors for a situation like yours. Have you ever heard of a book The Kingdom Man by Tony Evans? I would encourage reading that before you decide to enlist or not. It's not a book that will help you decide something like this in a conventional way, but I think it might realign your focus on what you really hold dear. Personally, I think you might gain "the dream" you're looking for but lose the family. And in the end, what is more important, daddy was away all the time or daddy was there for me and all my crazy projects and trips to the hospital? This country needs more fathers that are there for their children. The military makes that very difficult, not impossible, but is the juice worth the squeeze?