• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Enough w the cooling fans in your chambers

I use one because my understanding has always been that heat is damaging to my precision barrel. And I look for shade for the rifle, ammo, and me. If noise is an issue, why would anyone put themselves in the area of 100 rifles going off?

Reactions: Holliday
B6F402F0-BF67-4BEE-8948-EECAFA8B71C3.jpeg

Hiram Maxim thinks your chamber fans are stupid.

There is no proof you are able to hit anywhere near temps that could add to damage of the barrel.

Watercooled Winchester with high capacity ammo tube(17 rounds) from Turkey
2857039896_1b_5d_80fba_9_o-tfb.jpg

Reactions: Longshot231
There is no proof you are able to hit anywhere near temps that could add to damage of the barrel.

Watercooled Winchester with high capacity ammo tube(17 rounds) from Turkey
2857039896_1b_5d_80fba_9_o-tfb.jpg
Interesting concept. I wonder how a modern water jacket would work on a modern barrel.

Would not even have to have a circulation or condensing can, just enough fins to carry heat. And maybe no fins at all if it were made of brass like the one above or good aluminum alloy. Both conduct heat extremely well to air. Could be attached with O-rings and crush fittings — packing joint.

Probably do some interesting things for harmonic damping. Not to mention extra weight for recoil absorption. Interesting concept right there.

Has anyone tried such a thing on a modern precision rifle? And what has been the result?

Cheers, Sirhr

Last edited:
Its a good idea to hand out RifleKuhls to your competition at competitions than smile internally when everyone is asking why their Kestrel is giving bad data.

• Haha
Reactions: BytorJr
Human Oxymoron - Invented the MG so as to bring Peace.

Biggest underestimate of human nature ever.

At least Oppenhiemer was aware of what he was doing.
Dr. Gatling did the same thing.

Although I dare say Hiram Maxim knew what he was doing. He was in Europe because after his patents for electricity got bought out he was banished to Europe so that he did not compete with Westinghouse and or general electric and or Edison. While he was there working on electrical things, he was approached by another American expat businessman who said that if he wanted to make real money, he would invent something to “let these infernal Europeans kill each other more efficiently. “. This, he invented the maxim gun. And his son invented the first effective silencer.

The nature of the Utopian do-gooder is always the same... and the results are universally death and suffering.

Even many on the Manhattan project believed that they were bringing peace. Most notable among them was Teller, the main advocate and key inventor inventor of the hydrogen bomb.

Sirhr

Last edited:
Alfred Nobel invented dynamite and smokeless powder, peace prize is named after him. Go figure.
Nobel created the peace prize himself after reading his own obituary which was incorrectly printed when they thought he had died. His obituary called him the greatest merchant of death in history. And it rattled him so badly that he decided to put his fortune towards a peace prize and other prizes in the fields of medicine science literature etc.

If I recall correctly he also invented dynamite to save lives. Because pure nitroglycerin in liquid form was so unstable that it was killing thousands of miners and tunnelers and other people. By mixing it in with clay call diatomatic (sp?) earth he created a stable form that could only be set off with blasting caps.

Lots of great inventions to save people turn out to be big big killers.

Sirhr

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Nobel created the peace prize himself after reading his own obituary which was incorrectly printed when they thought he had died. His obituary called him the greatest merchant of death in history. And it rattled him so badly that he decided to put his fortune towards a peace prize and other prizes in the fields of medicine science literature etc.

If I recall correctly he also invented dynamite to save lives. Because pure nitroglycerin in liquid form was so unstable that it was killing thousands of minors and people. By mixing it in with clay call diatomatic (sp?) earth he created a stable form that could only be set off with blasting caps.

Lots of great inventions to save people turn out to big big killers.

Sirhr
Diatomaceous. That’s for you, Veer G.

The opposite of why this thread was created, has me looking at fans. However, i need one that doesn’t have a high pitch whine. Shit drives me mad. I dont wear ear pro unless at a match or public range, so need a decent one.

The quietest i have ,i made out of a BBQ fan and some transparent tubing and a lathe turned sort of a bore guide

images

Ulfhednar is made like that, and s silent compared to Magnetospeed ,
maxresdefault.jpg

Chamber chiller moves most air but is let down by cheap bearings on chinese fans , you could make it much quieter by going for quality fan ,made couple myself but never bothered to source good fans.
Barrel-Cooler-chamber-chiller-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Holliday
I'm sure it all depends on your schedule and how much time you have on the range. I'm always trying to fit ten pounds of shit into a five pound shit-bag, so sitting and waiting for the barrel to get cool is a drag.
clock-animated-gif-18.gif
Sounds like me it's kind of like being retired now. I work for free being retired now more than I ever did sitting at my desk at work. I have to go on a vacation now to get away from retirement.
You mean like around here, where if we were complaining about 103 in the shade, tomorrow will be 106 in the shade.
Oh and humidity...
But it's a dry heat they say.

Leaving your hearing protection on helps cut down on noises you find annoying from both machines and humans.

Indeed. I read and listen to books while I am waiting on my barrel to cool some. Hell, I watched some Big Bang Theory re-runs last weekend

Surprised you didn't correct his usage of 'only' in the last sentence. Veer is shaking his head.
In my defense, I was typing on a goddamned Ghey-a$$ed Iphone... which I only have because my accountant won't let me have a Droid any more.

Ghey-A$$ed iPhones never print or VTT proper gun-related stuff. I am sure their Dick-Sucking vernacular is spot on, though.

Sirhr

• Haha
Reactions: W54/XM-388 and Fig
In my defense, I was typing on a goddamned Ghey-a$$ed Iphone... which I only have because my accountant won't let me have a Droid any more.

Ghey-A$$ed iPhones never print or VTT proper gun-related stuff. I am sure their Dick-Sucking vernacular is spot on, though.

Sirhr

...which I only have only because my accountant won't let me have a Droidanymore.

That's what you get for using apple.

Thankfully, my wife is lo-tech so I choose electronics.

Last edited:
The opposite of why this thread was created, has me looking at fans. However, i need one that doesn’t have a high pitch whine. Shit drives me mad. I dont wear ear pro unless at a match or public range, so need a decent one.
If you don’t wear ear pro cause you have a silencer joke is on you and you can join the rest of us with 24/7 ringing in the ears

I use a M18 Milwaukee fan.

I blow it across the barrel and can to move the mirage away under my scope so I can see.

It does cool down faster, but it also cools me down, so I don't feel like a total douche.

Well is been about 2 years.

You queers still using fans in chambers or did that go out of fashion with the mil dot master?
This topic is as gay as the co witness iron sight thread with everyone talking about their red dots going down while doing combat rolls to the front door of Publix.

Yeah, that’s a run on sentence. Fight me.

Just run a bore snake up the barrel and leave it in after making it hot seems to help

never used a fan guess its one more thing that can break and weigh u down with more kit

This topic is as gay as the co witness iron sight thread with everyone talking about their red dots going down while doing combat rolls to the front door of Publix.

Yeah, that’s a run on sentence. Fight me.

Well first off….I was making gay topics fun way before red dots got in the mix.

“Combat roller” prob has a chamber fan in his keester.

No way I’m fighting a person who shops at Publix, been there once, it was the museum of the ugliest people ive ever seen in my life.

• Haha
Reactions: Fig and lash
The best use of a chamber fan is to annoy the others in your squad sufficiently that they start dropping points…
I thought they were used as alternative to Grindr when the internet went down?