• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Entering below sea level DA into Shooter.

Vin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2004
This may sound like a stupid question but does Shooter recognize below sea level density altitude. The reason for asking is I was out shooting yesterday and my Kestrel showed a DA of in excess of -500 feet. I entered -500 into the DA box but the results were quite a bit off from I Snipe which I used the local conditions given online. ISnipe seemed to be more correct for the longer ranges and the Shooter data was off a bit. It seemed to be bang on during the summer months when I did not have to enter a below sea level DA. So by just entering -500 in the DA box, the program should give me relatively correct data assuming all the other parameters entered are correct? I did a search for this and got lots of info but nothing that answered my question. I may be out to lunch on this but was just wondering.

Re: Entering below sea level DA into Shooter.

I let Shooter pull in from GPS and to my knowledge, it does it on it's own if set up that way. Last Sat morning in eastern NC, it was -2327, mid 30's

Yes it will. You would be better served turning on the auto atmosphere from GPS and using density alt that way. Its the most accurate. If you are hand entering it your actual temp and known da must be entered. If your kestrel hasn't been acclimated to the outside conditions for a bit it will read wrong as well.

I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately I can't do that I don't believe due to the fact that its on an Ipod touch that doesn't have the ability to access the internet in the field. I was just wondering if the program will recognize the -500 as a valid entry. It just seemed way off compared to ISnipe. If not I guess I could just enter the three parameters separately rather than just using DA. Thx for your comments, appreciated.