• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Entry Level 308

Exo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
El Mirage, Arizona
Hey all, I am looking for an <span style="font-weight: bold">ENTRY</span> level .308 rifle. I have been toying around with the idea of a Savage Axis, basically what i am looking for is a solid hunting rig. i dont really care about shooting this one @ 1000 yds, or having "sub MOA" accuracy. If i can get a 2" grouping at 200yds i will be ecstatic!

WITH ALL OF THAT...

What are your opinions on a Mossberg 100 ATR or Savage Axis?

Thanks

Re: Entry Level 308

The stock and trigger on the Axis are crap but you can install a Rifle Basix for under $100 and have a decent rifle for cheap and swap the stock later as you see fit. I have no experience with the Mossberg and have seen no reviews here for them, the Savage line on the other hand has a very loyal following (sometimes to Mikes annoyance) and can be upgraded piece by piece by the end user.

YMMV

Remington 700 sps tactical, or AAC-SD< barrel already threaded. And these will run you under $700 with a almost infinite amount of options to improve with down the road. Savage and mossberg have there loyal followers but most here will say REM700 for out the box accuracy.

I picked up a Savage Stevens 200 in .308 for $350, and it shoots around 2"-2.5" groups at 200 yards with that Remington hunting ammo. Pretty good for a cheap rifle with cheap ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A.O.R.G.S-RemiG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington 700 sps tactical, or AAC-SD< barrel already threaded. And these will run you under $700 with a almost infinite amount of options to improve with down the road. Savage and mossberg have there loyal followers but most here will say REM700 for out the box accuracy. </div></div>

This. If you're going to be doing hunting primarily I'd look towards the non-AAC-SD version while there's nothing wrong with the 1:10 twist rate, you'd be better off shooting 150s than 180s at those ranges and that leans towards the 1:12 twist rate of the standard sps-Tactical. I think buds has them for 574ish.

If it's hunting is the primary use, you might shy away from the bull barrel to a thinner barrel to cut down on weight.

Ok so the Rem700 seems like everybody's primary choice (not really surprising).

How about the Savage Axis model? Has anyone had any experience with them? It seems like they are flying off the shelves?

@Training Wheels, my budget PROBABLY wont merit any sort of upgrades for a while, as my second little one will be here within a few weeks
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so the Rem700 seems like everybody's primary choice (not really surprising).

How about the Savage Axis model? Has anyone had any experience with them? It seems like they are flying off the shelves?

@Training Wheels, my budget PROBABLY wont merit any sort of upgrades for a while, as my second little one will be here within a few weeks
smile.gif
</div></div>

I bought both the 223 and 308 Edge rifles and was so impressed with it's potential that I outfitted it with the Riflebasix trigger, Harris bipod, and Bushnell Elite scope. I shot 208 amax with RL 17 to beyond 1000 yards on the 308 with great success. Very good shooting rifle for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so the Rem700 seems like everybody's primary choice (not really surprising).

smile.gif
</div></div>

You can buy the Axis and a trigger upgrade for less than the SPS-Tac but you won't go wrong with either one. Start hanging around Ben Avery and see if people won't let you shoot them both, buy what you are comfortable with.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

I shot a rem 700P out here in the NCPPRC club out to 1k for years with good results. I was getting .5 MOA at 100 yards with hand loads consistently. I paid about $750 for the rifle, had the trigger adjusted, a cheek piece installed and off I went. A really good starter. then I got into the custom rig game and my bank account has been empty since
grin.gif

Just my .02

Another vote for the sps tac. here. It was my first precision stick and was a beast. I sold it to my brother and wish I would have sold him the LTR instead... And my LTR is a shooter btw. That "cheap" sps will shoot neck and neck with my AE.

I’d go with a remmy my brother-in-law did samething I want something I can pop a deer or hog with at 200yds went with a savage 30-06, then we would go to a range and to confrim zero at 200 which is a long shot in the swamp/woods in central florida, we would confrim zero and I would start gather dope out to the range max around 495 when I millied the targets, then he wanted to try and wished he’d bought a ffp scope and a little bit better rifle, so I guess my point is you say that now but most people wish they got something alittle better… so that being said its about what you want and want to do with it good luck

go with the savage dont let the tell you its hard to find upgrades becaus it can rhey can be found just use google and sniper hide ull be good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treemonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go with the savage dont let the tell you its hard to find upgrades becaus it can rhey can be found just use google and sniper hide ull be good to go. </div></div>

+1

For the price difference I saved by going Savage instead of Remington I could afford an SWFA SS10x42M.

Of course, I have an R700, and you will most certainly not be disappointed. With either one you're most likely going to want to get a new stock and trigger, as both of them, well...suck.

thanks all!

i like where this moving to.
the more and more i read, the more it seems like the savage is going to be the way to go...

i like the idea of a Remington, but right NOW...its a hair out of my 'safe' (read: hormonal 9 month preggo wife) realm.

Here is a Remington 700 sps varmint for sale with a bell and carlson stock. It is not my rifle. I just saw it on a forum I frequent. It seems like a sweet deal and you may be able to talk him down a little. If the seller is willing to ship This would be a great place to start.

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/132428-rem-700-308-bell-carlson.html

Here is a Savage that is ready for shooting also on the forum

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/134108-savage-model-10-308-adjusted-price.html

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure thing. Also, the design of the ATR bolt is pretty horrible. It has the potential to be closed without the lugs being locked (resulting in bolt-to-face impact).

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2630486/1 </div></div>
I dont really feel safe firing mine now.....

Shay,

i was doing some other reading today, it seems that these were recalled, also, on the site in question, the date posted was in 2008, so...

Thanks to BP for bringing this up though! I am in no way trying to imply that your weapon was or was not in the recall, just passing on what i have read.

till may 31 75$ rebate on Rem 700 sps varmint they go for as low as 540 shipped (google it) 18 for weaver 1 pc base, 30-40 warne rings(midway), pick a starter scope with AO, when you get to the level of skill that the rifle may be holding you back upgrade the stock ( about 250) then the scope, when you upgrade the scope save up and push the limit so the scope is worthy of a premium rifle

I am casting a vote for either a Savage or a Stevens. If you are wanting strictly a hunting rifle, go with the Stevens. If you are wanting a heavier barrel, go with the Savage.

I had my Stevens with no modifications other than a Rifle Basix trigger, and was shooting sub-MOA with FGMM. I got that rifle for $325 picked up from FFL. Nice rifle, smooth bolt, pretty darn accurate considering the price.

I have a Savage 10PC now, and it is a very nice piece of gear!!

DK

G'day from AUS,EXO and all,first post
I bought a Savage Edge/Axis in 308,devcon bedded the action cost $20 bucks,fibreglass filled the forend of the stock so no flex at all when using bipod,put on a Rifle Basix trigger,and it shoots 3 shot groups at 1 inch at 100yards using Reminington 150g Corelokts,went hunting for Feral pigs over Easter,dropped 5 pigs 3 running shoots (Mitchell grass in paddocks up to the bonnet in some paddocks)got 2 foxes one a running shot.no complaints here!!...Went today,put a laybuy on one in 223 as my fox spotlighting rig.Will put a Redfield 4-12 scope on that.can't go wrong for the price...cheers Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up a Savage Stevens 200 in .308 for $350, and it shoots around 2"-2.5" groups at 200 yards with that Remington hunting ammo. Pretty good for a cheap rifle with cheap ammo. </div></div>

change the barrel out and it will drop it to 1/2 to 1 groups.
and then you only got a little cash in a great rifle. that is my next build i am planing.

wait... hold on, do NOT get an AXIS... it's not a real Savage, it's like the remington 710s... get the Stevens 200 if you want Cheap... academy outdoors will run them a couple of times a year for $179... it or a savage 10/110 based rifle can be upgraded later, the Axis shares very few parts w/ the main Savage lines.

I use a Rem LTR in 308 for my hunting rifle.
Got it used here on the Hide with a Mk 4 scope for a really good deal.
Sub-MOA with FGMM 168s.
With Sierra 150GK over H4350 it is a fine deer rifle.
The Rem will hold its value.

Coach