• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Entry-level 6.5 CM 1000m build with a DD214

SplashOver

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2020
WA State
Putting together my wishlist, looking at the 6.5mm Creedmore to build a platform around. This will be my first build, previously only had government owned rifles. With a DD214, it seems like some brands offer very generous discounts to vets - so it would push more toward brands like Vortex. Mostly just for shooting on my own, but I may veer toward PRS at some point in the future if I find myself with more time.

Looking at the Razer HD in 3-18 or 4.5-27 -- going MRAD as that's what I know. It doesn't seem like I'd need a 20MOA base or

For the gun I am thinking:
Buy one of the "regular" Tikkas like the light/superlight/varmint and add the KRG Bravo
Tikka TAC A1 - seems pretty turn key out the box
Sako S20 Precision - seems like it has some very positive feedback now.
Something else?

Concerns: are 20MOA bases still a thing? If so I'd either be swapping rails or buying a scope mount-which would make the A1 less turnkey. Also happy to save some money somewhere, but I'd rather get a good action and good scope, and worry about barrels and chassis down the line.

If you aren’t in a hurry watch the PX. I built a rifle from a Tikka barred action purchased from the PX. Also purchased a MDT ACC 50% off code. For not much more than the price of a Tikka TAC A1 I got the chassis I wanted, aftermarket barrel, fluted bolt with sterk bolt knob, and was able to build it the way I wanted. I was deployed and patient while finding components though so maybe you don’t have that time to wait.

Attachments

• EB33AE78-D350-42CC-8A12-905BF2A3EF42.jpeg
    EB33AE78-D350-42CC-8A12-905BF2A3EF42.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: SplashOver
Tikka is the way to go in my opinion. Great guns out of the box and can go pretty far with making them yours. Most of the ones I have experience with are tack drivers with factory ammo. Vortex is great glass. I’d also look at nf shv 4-14 f1. You can pick them up second hand for $700-$900. They’ve become my go to.

Reactions: SplashOver
My recommendation is get a tikka as cheap as you can find, used even. Then take off the barrel and stock and sell them to re-coup some of your cost.

I'd rebarrel with proof (mil discount) and put it in a KRG Bravo. Vortex does offer a good mil discount, but if you could find a NF SHV f1 for the above price I'd jump all over that.

Generally when you are going with a mil discount you will have to wait longer. Proof has close to a 6 month lead time. Vortex took a couple months when i ordered through their mil discount program too.

Another option is to get a tikka CTR or Varmint and throw some glass on it, use that until you want to upgrade the stock and barrel. Tikka's are awesome out of the box.

Well, looking to finally getting into this thanks to spending some more time overseas. Things look even more confusing. Anything changed RE: tikka being the choice here? S85?

Otherwise looking at a Tikka in 6.5 CM, Proof 22”, some sort of brake?, and some chassis - those look to have evolved a little as well.

Are the models with rails and/or UPR which finally gets 20MOA rail worth the extra?
What chassis makes the most sense - haven’t found a good place in WA/OR/ID to sample them all?
Any “con” to stainless actions? Likely taking this near saltwater plenty so it is perhaps appealing to me.
Looking toward varmint/ctr/etc… for 10rd magazine - or does that no longer matter when I get new chassis?

Sorry for the repeated questions - only ever shot what was issued or bought off the shelf.