• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Entry Level Optic

cpmiller22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2013
Hi all-

I'm in the middle of building out a 308 based on a DPMS receiver and a 20" Rainier barrel. I'd hoping to get some advice on a choosing a low cost option to get started. My requirements are really something that I can use at 100 yards or so to get my rifle broke in. I plan on investing in a nice scope to get down range in the future, but my build budget is just about spent so I just need something simple for now. I was also taking a look at ebay to see what might be available used.

bushnell elite 10x mil/mil, about 220 bucks.
Midwayusa grand slam tactical 3-10x, 300 bucks. So good, you might not upgrade.

Another recommendation for the Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40 from Midway. I have two, including one on an 18" SPRgery. With the newly released Midway coupon codes, you can get one for $279.99 shipped.

Its no USO or S&B, but for the money its hard to beat. DOWNSIDE: limited elevation so a 20MOA mount is helpful for longer range shooting, which is completely moot for 100yards. For the same money, a SWFA SS 12x or 16x might be better for your stated purpose; much more elevation but obviously much less field of view.

I used an SWFA 10x for a year or so. It is a great scope for the money.

One thing to consider is scope diameter. I wanted a 30mm scope so that when I upgraded glass I didn't have to upgrade rings as well.

Another recommendation for the Weaver...

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the weavers I picked up last fall on sale at natchez shooters. I figured they'd be throw away, but ended up tossing one on a savage hog gun and it's held up well. Better clarity than the bushnell I picked up at the same time for a project.

I second the Weaver 3-10 mil/mil. I also HIGHLY recommend the SWFA 10x. It is a rugged enough scope to go long range indefinitley should funds run short. It also has plenty of adjustment. Whatever you do I recommend getting mil/mil so you can get used to that setup (although it makes things so simple that getting used to it really isn't a issue).

Good luck!!!

Don't waste your money on crap. Spending your money on a cheap optic is basically throwing it away because there is no resale value. The very cheapest scopes I would recommend is the Weaver GST 3-10 mil/mil for $300 at midway, the Bushnell Elite 10x40 mil/mil also at midway for a few bucks less, or the SWFA classic series for $300-400. They are all quality budget priced scopes that hold their value when it's time to upgrade. I own scopes that cost several thousand a piece but I still own and use these as well.

Shooting at 100yds for "break in" on your AR and on a tight budget? Sounds like a job for a set of Magpul BUIS. Unless your eyes are too jacked up, why spend $300 on a low grade optic that will probably be in a low grade mount as well?

Old school that shit...

Thanks for all the input. I'm thinking I will start looking for a used Weaver 3-10 mil mil.

You're better off to buy a new one and use the midway coupon codes. They don't pop up for sale too often and when they do they're typically on $20-30 off new prices which you can match with a coupon code. They hold their value extremely well.

I used an SWFA 10x for a year or so. It is a great scope for the money.

One thing to consider is scope diameter. I wanted a 30mm scope so that when I upgraded glass I didn't have to upgrade rings as well.

+1 for the SWFA 10x. A good friend of mine uses one for his mossberg .270 hunting rifle. It is an impressive optic for the money, am should fit your bill for entry level optics. I am in the process of souping up a hunting rifle for my wife, and I am seriously considering this particular scope for for it.

+1 for SWFA. I stuck one on my SP Tactical and then used it with good affect out to 1000. The rifle and the scope would do their part, it is shame that the idiot behind the scope needs more practice.

Will he have to have a crazy formula for mil'ing targets or is the power fixed on as on a first focal plane?

I just noticed Midwest USA on scopes. Any thoughts on the Weaver 10-30x 40mm Dual X Rectile?