• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Entry Level Range Finder

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent's,

I'm looking to purchase an entry level range finder...any recommendations? I would like to stay under $500.00 with the biggest bang for the buck in terms of accuracy, range, dependability, etc.

Thanks in advance!

AvsFan
confused.gif

Re: Entry Level Range Finder

Take a look at Leica Rangemaster 1000.

you can occasionally find a ziess for <$500 here (i did)

i can range horses & elk at just shy of 1000, and was ranging rocks yesterday at 1200

Keeep watch on SH and Long Range Hunting. You can pick up a bargain if you are paitent.

Take a look at Bushnell Elite 1600.
Under $500.IMO best bang for the buck, probably more than entry level.Play around with the illumination and you can range objects at night.I ranged a passer by at 834 meters at lunch time around 12:45 PM(sunny day) wearing a black suit.Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski,sure they have better glass but you need a good range finder for a decent price.Leica lately has had some problems with the 1600 model, so you see just because you pay top dollar doesn't mean the quality is always there. At the rate the technology is changing I think you are better served with a Bushnell Elite 1600, plus you have bulletproof money back guarantee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MB4810AP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at Bushnell Elite 1600.
Under $500.IMO best bang for the buck, probably more than entry level.Play around with the illumination and you can range objects at night.I ranged a passer by at 834 meters at lunch time around 12:45 PM(sunny day) wearing a black suit.Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski,sure they have better glass but you need a good range finder for a decent price.Leica lately has had some problems with the 1600 model, so you see just because you pay top dollar doesn't mean the quality is always there. At the rate the technology is changing I think you are better served with a Bushnell Elite 1600, plus you have bulletproof money back guarantee.
</div></div>

What problems has the Lecia 1600 been having sir? I ask b/c I just picked one up from euro...

+1 on the bushnell elite 1600 in terms of bang for the buck.

Sure, it's no Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski, but it works well enough, for me at least, especially at the price.

i love my bushnell elite 1600

i use it mostly at 700 > 800 meters on bushes in sand dunes, my best range was 1047 meters and just happens to be the typical range i now shoot at.

I bought a Leica 1200 for my first range finder. The glass is clearer than it should be. Ranging is awesome out to about 650-800yds in the humidity of the Summer. In the winter, I can range to about 1100. It's just hard to hit 1moa targets with the aiming square at that distance so I usually pick trees or nearby rocks/berms.

A friend of mine has a Bushnell that was several hundred dollars less...actually consistently ranges out further than my Leica but my glass is better.

Awesome, thanks guys...time to start shopping!

AvsFan
grin.gif

At least your definition of entry level is pretty decent. My first rangefinder was a Nikon 440 and it got sold to a bowhunter. At distances where you need one, you need a good one. I really like the Zeiss...and it replaced a Swaro that I just didn't need.

bushnell makes a really good one for around 500. it will hit a 10" peice of steel at 1000 and the glass is ok.

Me and a buddy have the Nikon rifle hunter 1000, you can count on ranging to 700 on anything in crappy conditions. More if the conditions are right i think the most range i have ever got it to range is 956yds. For 375 bucks? i can deal with it till i can afford a better one.

I still want to know what problems the CRF 1600 had been having?

I used a Nikon monarch 1200 for a while and never had a problem with it, I could range coyotes at 500-600 yds and trees at 850 yds, I recently bought a Leica 1600 and I am very pleased with it huge improvement in glass and I can read coyotes 850 yds and trees over 1000 yds, 1'x1' metal plate at 1000 yds is not hard to read holding range finder on top of scope, it's very small which is nice when carrying other stuff like electronic callers, etc but that also makes it more difficult to hold it steady. Overall a big improvement

I've pushed the bushy 1600arc enough, but I often wonder why a guy would buy these that range to 800-1000 for the same coin...

I ranged a single scraggly, no leaves, tree this morning at 1636 yards with no problem, no rest, I've also ranged treelines at over 1700 in the rain. Day, night

Just buy the 1600arc, worst case you don't like it and you send it back to Bushnell for a complete refund.

+1 on any info re: Vortex Ranger 1000..?

I recently bought the Vortex. It has a difficult time ranging anything past 600 yards. I expected it to preform out to 1000 yards, but that's a no go. I tried it on a large water tower and it hit 1100 yards very well, but out in the field, it is a different story. I upgraded to the Vortex from a cheaper brand, and am not happy with my purchase.

I first purchased a Nikon 550 and it ranged on a very consistant basis. I was pleased with the performance enough I purchased the riflehunter 1000 hoping to be able to range objects at a further distance. It in fact has a longer detection range but does not range an object as consistant as the 550 model I had purchased years before. I would not recommend this particular range finder for anything over 500yds or so. At ranges closer than that it seems to do ok but does not always give a valid range, a lot of times it fails to give a range just dashes.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk