• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Entry Night Vision QUESTIONS

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
Guys... Hopefully those of you with some experience can help here.

What are some good choices for GEN 1+ or 2 monocular that IS weapon mountable in front of a scope (think Rem 700 with NV Rail or a AR with full rail).

I am NOT wanting to break the bank and this would be used for 300 yard-ish... and in...

Thanks
M.

Hi there I've been pondering the same thing been looking at either the arrow or the archer both seem good but like you I have no clue really

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

What is your budget? Clip on is already going to up the price on units.

The older nvs dont really have the capability to be weapon mounted unless there is an add on im un aware of. To be honest just safe up and get a gen 3. You wouldn't want to get a gen 1 if you looked through it yourself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

+1 on saving. Not to sound like a NOD snob, but most gen 1 stuff is garbage. I hear gen 2 is considerably better than gen 1. My first exposure to night vision was a pair of ANVIS-6 goggles and once you go gen 3, there's no going back. Got my first PVS-14 from TNVC a little more than a month ago. :) Keep saving and keep an eye on the "for sale threads".

I can get you in to a gen 2 clip on for a as low as $1795. If you are LEO or Active Duty Military, or even a veteran, I have discounts to take it down even lower. I would however, recommend spending a little more and at least getting higher end gen2.

I just ordered the Armasight Core Spark monocular, my first NV. Should be here soon. I'm guessing it isn't mountable in front of a riflescope, anyone know for sure? I know they make a 3x and 5x lens attachment, and also a very neat looking QD A.I.M. mount that makes the monocular into a usable dot sight.

Can anyone who has had their hands on the Spark confirm if it is or isn't mountable in conjunction with a normal rifle scope? Everything I've read on the Spark, guys mention the CORE technology being leaps better than standard gen1+, as in up towards 60-70 lp/mm resolution...for a sub $600 monocular (sub $400 in my case).

I just ordered the Armasight Core Spark monocular, my first NV. Should be here soon. I'm guessing it isn't mountable in front of a riflescope, anyone know for sure? I know they make a 3x and 5x lens attachment, and also a very neat looking QD A.I.M. mount that makes the monocular into a usable dot sight.

Can anyone who has had their hands on the Spark confirm if it is or isn't mountable in conjunction with a normal rifle scope? Everything I've read on the Spark, guys mention the CORE technology being leaps better than standard gen1+, as in up towards 60-70 lp/mm resolution...for a sub $600 monocular (sub $400 in my case).

It is a lot of NV for the money. Please keep in mind, like digital, and gen2, the spark will need an illuminator to provide a good image. It doesn't have to be a high dollar illuminator, just an illuminator.

It will not work in front of a day scope. However, in a pinch you can mount it to the back of a day scope much like you can a PVS-14. While it is not the ideal setup, it is a lot better than nothing.

The AIM mount is one of those things you wonder why it wasn't invented before. It doesn't cost much more than a lot of weapons mounts for PVS-14's, yet it projects a EOTech style reticle directly into the monocular so you don't loose light or FOV like you would running it with a red dot sight. It is a cool little unit. I have not really abused one yet, but I have pulled it off an on several times and done some shooting with it and it seems to hold zero pretty well. I haven't tested it specifically for that yet, but will do a thorough review of it down the road when I get done doing video reviews on the dozen units I am doing reviews on now. Like each item I review, I will sell it to a hide member at a pretty good discount since it will have been "demo'ed".

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to messing with it soon. I'm just now getting into some research for an illuminator and going to need to choose a mount setup also. I'm pretty much sold on trying the AIM, I see they have the AIM Pro too, which can be used as a day sight with 1x or 3x attachments. Armasight seems to be doing some very cool and innovative stuff. This is a whole new world of expensive addiction... I though I was bad with regular scopes.......

It looks like a guy could spend as much on a high end illuminator, head mount gear, and other accessories as the NV devise itself. Looking forward to playing in the dark soon. :cool:

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to messing with it soon. I'm just now getting into some research for an illuminator and going to need to choose a mount setup also. I'm pretty much sold on trying the AIM, I see they have the AIM Pro too, which can be used as a day sight with 1x or 3x attachments. Armasight seems to be doing some very cool and innovative stuff. This is a whole new world of expensive addiction... I though I was bad with regular scopes.......

It looks like a guy could spend as much on a high end illuminator, head mount gear, and other accessories as the NV devise itself. Looking forward to playing in the dark soon. :cool:

I went with an AIM PRO mount, 3x day magnifier, and the NYX-14 Gen2 QS optic. So far it has been an excellent purchase for the the money. The products seem pretty well built and I like the ability to helmit mount the optic or switch to a rail mount. The AIM PRO LR mount would have given the opportunity to add a 3x mag to the NV optic on a weapon mount which is probably going to be a follow up purchase for me. I did not purchase the 1x day housing because I have an eotech currently and I could not confirm if it will work with the AIM PRO LR mount. I would say if your on a budget then this is a pretty decent option. As far a GEN1 is concerned I had purchased a $400 NV budget optic and could not sell it fast enough in order to buy what I have now.

I would describe GEN 1 NV like looking through the end of a Heiniken bottle in the dark while using a lit match as the illuminator.

Another budget minded purchase was the WML ir/white light tactical Illuminator at around $150 it was another well made product for the money. The IR light throws pretty well and the unit is suprisingly compact and light weight. I think fiberglass housing and I was concerned about that but now that I have had it a while it seems to be failry robust.

I went with an AIM PRO mount, 3x day magnifier, and the NYX-14 Gen2 QS optic. So far it has been an excellent purchase for the the money. The products seem pretty well built and I like the ability to helmit mount the optic or switch to a rail mount. The AIM PRO LR mount would have given the opportunity to add a 3x mag to the NV optic on a weapon mount which is probably going to be a follow up purchase for me. I did not purchase the 1x day housing because I have an eotech currently and I could not confirm if it will work with the AIM PRO LR mount. I would say if your on a budget then this is a pretty decent option. As far a GEN1 is concerned I had purchased a $400 NV budget optic and could not sell it fast enough in order to buy what I have now.

I would describe GEN 1 NV like looking through the end of a Heiniken bottle in the dark while using a lit match as the illuminator.
Another budget minded purchase was the WML ir/white light tactical Illuminator at around $150 it was another well made product for the money. The IR light throws pretty well and the unit is suprisingly compact and light weight. I think fiberglass housing and I was concerned about that but now that I have had it a while it seems to be failry robust.

I have all the above in stock, and on sale.