• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision EOTECH CLIP ON THERMALS ( Full details)

@Ksracer what day optic you running?
NightForce Nx8 2.5-20 W/Mil-C reticle.

The reticle is more visible than what the pics show. I'm not very good at taking pics or vids that represent what I'm actually seeing. They are always dark. I should have turned the brightness up in the thermal before taking the vid, but I don't think of that stuff until I'm home watching it.
PXL_20220928_024839964.jpg

NightForce Nx8 2.5-20 W/Mil-C reticle.

The reticle is more visible than what the pics show. I'm not very good at taking pics or vids that represent what I'm actually seeing. They are always dark. I should have turned the brightness up in the thermal before taking the vid, but I don't think of that stuff until I'm home watching it.View attachment 7967611
Badass setup! Have same scope, purchased my clip ir-lr, but haven't had time to play. Still getting my bridge setup dialed in. Currently machining the xlr element NV bridge to lower the thermal occurlar to make things cowitness better.

I was playing with mine early this morning looking over cattle at 170 yards and through a tree line at ~480 yards, and still detected and PID'd a rabbit at 733 yards.

The FLIR cored thermals (Apollo 50, TIG, and Apollo 100) I've had would have struggled to detect the rabbit at that distance with either the cattle or treeline in the field of view in front of the rabbit. The image optimization is awesome!

Edited to add:
My front cap hasn't tangled on my focus fins yet, not sure what I'm doing diffefent.

Reactions: rlsmith1
So… popped it in front of a Vortex 6-36x. I figured there was no way it would hold up at 36x magnification, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was more useful than I assumed.

AB67861F-7CFC-43E0-BDDA-8927088726BC.jpeg

Going to see how it runs with a 10K Anker pack.

I’m testing between pure optical versus a combination of optical and digital zoom — e.g. is 10x optical + 2x digital better than 20x optical. Based upon what I’m seeing, I think a combination of optical+digital is going to win, as long as there’s no appreciable POI shift when using digital.

It's a no go on 2x, tried it and group at 2x was 13 inches high and 9 right. I went from 1x to 2x and back twice just to confirm.

Maybe your results will be better.

I remember the manual says something about not using digital for anything but observation also.

So… popped it in front of a Vortex 6-36x. I figured there was no way it would hold up at 36x magnification, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was more useful than I assumed.

View attachment 7969509

Going to see how it runs with a 10K Anker pack.

I’m testing between pure optical versus a combination of optical and digital zoom — e.g. is 10x optical + 2x digital better than 20x optical. Based upon what I’m seeing, I think a combination of optical+digital is going to win, as long as there’s no appreciable POI shift when using digital.
You're talking awful big with all that strapped to your 300 BLK 🤣 You testing indirect fire capabilities?

LOL, I was on a work trip with 48 hour IAD overnight. Had to have something to read in the crapper.

In my defense I did try the group BEFORE I read the manual. 🤣

Reactions: TheHorta
Had to take the EoTech xELR out for its maiden voyage. A close friend has a large farm with a permit to eradicate pesky animals. The EoTech did not disappoint one bit ! I could identify the animal to verify if it had horns or not. Farthest animal was about 550-600yds. Closest was around 250. 7 fell that night and I’ve been invited back to help rod the farm of critters.

Anyone have any more video through the clip Ir LR? I’m going to pick one of these up for myself at some point and while I want the ELR, not sure my use case justifies the extra features and less FOV. Primarily it’ll be used for hunting, and while that 1 mile shot on a pig under a feeder is my dream… that’s a 1 time thing 😂 we don’t have feral pigs in PA- more coyotes and fox.

Curious on how it does to say 16x magnification.. on the high end.
I’ve gotten to play with one but not on a rifle… so my experience is limited.
Thanks
I've got back to back pics through the MR, LR, ELR and SY-Cii on various magnifications at 400 and 800yds. I just need to get them downloaded and sorted out.

Until you upload the pics, what are your conclusions/ thoughts.
I posted some pics over on Wigs thread earlier if you haven't seen them yet. Coming from 8-12 deg FOV units, the FOV on the ELR is small. I'm definitely going to have trouble finding closer animals and scanning. Inside of 3-400yds, I think the LR will do everything you need it to.

Yeah based on the pics and descriptions in Wigs thread I think the clipIR LR and a Clip Ir NV LR will serve me better as a combo for spot and engage then one ELR unit alone.
Ymmv
Some things to consider: we had ideal conditions for I2. We had a full moon pretty high in the sky and behind us that night. On a few occasions we had cloud cover obscure the moon and Wig was much harder to detect with the PVS27.
A good illuminator would have helped during the darker times, but I've struggled with having my illuminator bloom off of vegetation on front of me effectively blinding me.

I've personally had times when coyotes were impossible to see with a PVS9 Simrad due to range and/or intervening vegetation, even when I knew exactly where the coyotes were (spotted with thermal).

I still have a very strong preference for a long range thermal over I2.
All of that being said, I'm sure you've had more experience with I2 clip ons than I have, so I'm probably not telling you anything new.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eliteuas
For sure this would be better. I have an Atilla that while isn't as bright as the VSLIM will light up a hog at a mile easily.

As soon as I get my PVS-30 back from Jay I say we should give it a try.

Does the EXLR really hang with the UTCxii?
It’s every bit as good — image and detection-wise — as a UTC-X/Xii. The xELR is actually better than the UTC at higher optical magnification. Where the UTC basically ends at 10-12x the xELR doesn’t lose its gas until 18-20x.

Then factor in the availability and 10-YEAR warranty, and the xELR is a very attractive option. Of course, the size and lack of TracIR support take a few points away, but most UTC owners don’t rely on TracIR and the size difference isn’t dramatic, so it’s a very compelling alternative to the UTC.

That’s interesting given the nearly same FOV (and resolution)…which is what DRT himself stated is the key metric to image quality.

Either way, at least they’re actually available to purchase.

. Where the UTC basically ends at 10-12x the xELR doesn’t lose its gas until 18-20x.

Speaking of image and pixelation, did anybody else zoom in tight and notice the difference between the pixel spacing of the LR and the xELR in the images I posted in the other thread?
Way back in this thread there was conversation about how much of the 1280 screens were being utilized. I don't remember what the consensus was, but I believe my ELR is using 640 because I can see static around the margins. Looking at these two pics, I'm guessing the LR is using the full 1280, in effect giving a smoother image.
markup_20332200.JPG (1).png
markup_20365300.JPG(1)_copy_3072x1728.png

Last edited:
If you go into the dead pixel fixer menu of the ELR, it allows you to choose any one of the 640x480 pixels to excite/fix.

As far as the LR and ELR photo you just posted, have you tried playing with the parallax? LR looks out of focus but I don't own one to know.

For sure this would be better. I have an Atilla that while isn't as bright as the VSLIM will light up a hog at a mile easily.

As soon as I get my PVS-30 back from Jay I say we should give it a try.
I'd like to see what one of Jay's hot rodded PVS-30's look like.

Reactions: cantankerous
Does the EXLR really hang with the UTCxii?
Having both, what I noticed was that the UTCxii can certainly hang with the ELR up until the higher magnification.

The thing I like more about the ELR (weight/size aside) is that it has much more fine adjustment features with sharpness/contrast as well as quick presets that for me make it a much better unit. Being feature rich can be a detriment if not done right, but the ELR handles it well. Very easy to learn the menu and use it blind after only playing with it for a short period of time. I can obtain a much nicer/contrasty image or I can quickly preset between settings to have the more important areas showing contrast that I need. This is a generation thing as I would not expect it to under perform the UTC given the same basic specs. Also, having used BAE/Trijicon units going to a unit that has internal shutter and a quick press standby feature is a game changer.

It’s true their FOV is “close to the same” but when you’re dealing with small numbers, small differences become large. Dropping from 6° to 5.3° FOV is a small absolute change but also a 13% decrease, which is very meaningful for pixel density.

Reactions: shootingnut
Pluses for xELR:

1) Readily Available.
2) Not an entirely unreasonable price.
3) Legit UTC-Xii performance, or better.
4) 10-Year Warranty through EOTech
5) Internal mechanical NUC shutter

Minuses (compared to UTC):

1) Overall size.
2) No TracIR support (no future support possible)
3) Collimation seems to vary by unit
4) QD mount feels much cheaper.
5) Fit/Finish not as good as UTC

Any others you can think of?

I wouldn’t say the fit/finish are an issue on the ELR. The whole thing is supposedly DLC coated and it’s built like a tank. And although the QD feels cheaper I’m glad they didn’t go with LaRue, I’m tired of those tearing up the finish on my shit. Double ADM levers would have been better.

I wouldn’t say the fit/finish are an issue on the ELR. The whole thing is supposedly DLC coated and it’s built like a tank. And although the QD feels cheaper I’m glad they didn’t go with LaRue, I’m tired of those tearing up the finish on my shit. Double ADM levers would have been better.
I think the cheesy plastic focus fins make it feel cheaper. UTC-Xii is definitely more “elegant” — if a thermal optic can be elegant.

Mount swing arm just feels like it’ll be a problem in the future.

Neither of these things are deal breakers. The 10-year warranty help quell any fears.

The more I juggle it back and forth; the more I want a ELR. Lol 😂 placed a reservation yesterday on one. Now it’s go time. Will probably run a clipirNVG soon also. Why limit myself to just one?! 😆😩

The cool thing will be switching between both on the rifle and spotter and being able to use both on both platforms.

Eotech really knocked it out of the park with these new releases … I’m excited 🤩

Unless your dying to try TracIR the utcXii lost all its sex appeal. I’ve owned a Trijicon utmx , UTBx (2 of them actually) and a few skeetIrX.. theyre nice don’t get me wrong.. but the premium isn’t justified by TracIR when you can literally buy a steiner IFS scope and run it with the ELR for less then the price of a USED UTCXii . Just my humble opinion
Yeah thats true but that still requires a spotter and shooter to gather ranges to know how much to spin the turrets on a Steiner IFS, plus that eats up the margin between the ExLR and UTCxii. 2 shooters both with TracIR can simultaneously work through a group of targets at unknown distances ranging and working. Another benefit you can put a buddy on a gun thats unfamiliar with the range data for the rifle and get right to work.

I'm really disappointed Eotech didnt provide some provision for ranging. The Raptar pricing is excessive and it's surprising nothing has come about to challenge it.

The more I juggle it back and forth; the more I want a ELR. Lol 😂 placed a reservation yesterday on one. Now it’s go time. Will probably run a clipirNVG soon also. Why limit myself to just one?! 😆😩

The cool thing will be switching between both on the rifle and spotter and being able to use both on both platforms.

Eotech really knocked it out of the park with these new releases … I’m excited 🤩

Unless your dying to try TracIR the utcXii lost all its sex appeal. I’ve owned a Trijicon utmx , UTBx (2 of them actually) and a few skeetIrX.. theyre nice don’t get me wrong.. but the premium isn’t justified by TracIR when you can literally buy a steiner IFS scope and run it with the ELR for less then the price of a USED UTCXii . Just my humble opinion
Sounds like you need a hiss and recon v

• Haha
I know they come with not nice people dressed in nice suites. I prefer not to be put into the position where the struggle involves picking up the powdered soap in the showers :eek: , just saying
That’s part of the experience. It’s a package. Unobtanium without visits is a fail.

• Haha
Reactions: stefan73