• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision EOTECH CLIP ON THERMALS ( Full details)

Damn I was planning on using a clip on with my XLR chassis. Not sure I want to waste the money on their NV bridge or not just to try it.
Im gonna chop my nv bridge and go to shorter screws, hopefully it'll work out. Beings this is a custom inlet for the bat bumblebee, I'm married to the chassis.

How high or low do the sit on that AI in front of the ZCO???
English lol do you speak it.

I use the low factory AI action rail with a 1.5 spuhr and a rail section I had laying around with the 1.35 Utc xii. Lines up well

AD832CA9-9386-45B7-8103-43E7A83A0984.jpeg

Wait old pic but the same except for full length fore end rail ^

I recently installed the at high 20 moa action rail on my atx with a 1.5" zco block mount. I kinda wonder if I screwed myself for using the thermal. Maybe the make a higher keylock pic rail I could run va standard to get a coplaner image.

I recently installed the at high 20 moa action rail on my atx with a 1.5" zco block mount. I kinda wonder if I screwed myself for using the thermal. Maybe the make a higher keylock pic rail I could run va standard to get a coplaner image.
Most thermals / night visions clip onsare1.5”. Utc is exception. Probably wouldn’t make a difference anyway

Some comparison images between the high mag capabilities of X-elr and UTCxii. I'm going to keep comparing them over the next week. Please keep in mind these images are taken with a cell phone. The cell phone always wants to focus on the screen pixels and overexpose the image. I'll get back out to this spot and measure distance to the pictured house. This was purely for comparison sake. The utcxii has been the benchmark for long-wave clip on devices and I feel so far the X-elr hangs with it very well image wise, especially above 10x. Will shoot with the Xelr this weekend and report back. While it is bigger and heavier than the UTC, its 50 cal recoil ratings, 10 yr warranty and standard height are really nice. Great to have an option with factory support too. My phone turned the image a little more brown than it appears to naked eye. My daytime pics were blueish like utc. The dark section on upper 1/3 of screen is the IFS HUD from the steiner 2.9-20x50.

A few things I've noticed so far that I really like...
1. Lightning fast start up. like under 2 seconds and ready.
2. Silent auto NUC and so fast is barely noticeable.
3. Menu icons can be configured for mag range. At smallest config it is visible to 12x.
4. Battery run time has been outstanding so far.

View attachment 7809016View attachment 7809017View attachment 7809019View attachment 7809021View attachment 7809042View attachment 7809043
View attachment 7809063
I don't even know you, but I love you and hate you at the same time.

Update on first shipment. The units finally cleared customs and eotech has them in house. Unfortunately they have a foam supply issue for the hard cases that these units are supposed to ship in. They think it may be 3 to 4 weeks before the foam issue is resolved so they will be shipping the X elr units in alternative packaging with accessories to get them out the door to us. We will send the hardcases separately to those customers when they are ready to go. The second batch of scopes should be ready to go about that same time as well so those should ship in their normal cases. Sorry for the delays in comms but wanted solid info prior to updating.

^which is funny because Theon has a whole different product by that name. 🤷‍♂️

Anyhoo:

MeqnWhR.jpg

ijVCEwE.jpg

Very first impressions:

1. It is large, but honestly not as heavy as I envisioned. It's no Voodoo-S but on a LR rifle this will not be a hugely noticeable addition. It's about 2x as heavy as the Tig. And size-wise it still fits easily on a 10.5" AR handguard with an LPVO.

2. Goddamn the image is great.

3. Edge detect polarity is really impressive, better than other units I've used with this mode. I haven't used a PoT unit so maybe they are similar, but to me it's definitely a generation better than the edge detect on the Trijicon units I've tried. I kinda wish it had the White Edge Detect mode that PoT has but the black edge mode is probably better at night anyway.

4. The way the QD lever locks into position is... not the best. It'll probably be fine, I mean the thing won two SF trials, but it doesn't inspire confidence the way the Eratac lever on the Tig locks in solidly with a release tab.

5. Did I mention the image quality?

6. I have only tried it on a 1-8 Trijicon LPVO so far, but it will clearly take more mag than the Tig, which itself is no slouch and I have used the Tig up to 20x comfortably. I would guesstimate it has about 50% more back end demag than the Tig. On the Trij 1-8 it doesn't fill the scope until 5x mag.

7. The front lens cap rubber lanyard-thingys definitely get tangled in the focus fins annoyingly. I gotta come up with something better.

Last edited:
Additional info after playing around with it for a couple hours:

8. It does have a reticle but there is way too much demag to use it as a stand-alone, even if there was a way to use the full size of the screen. This is a pure clip-on. The reticle is handy for checking parallax though. It also has a stadiametric reticle you can turn on for measuring objects that lives on the right side and bottom of the screen.

9. It has a fuckton of image optimization tools to play with depending on your environment. 4 different image processing regimes, like 6 or 8 options for setting Region of Interest to help ensure proper automatic contrast and brightness, plus independent manual contrast and brightness adjustments, all of which are quickly accessible with single button presses.

10. It can take pictures at four different resolution settings. At max resolution it can only store about 20 images so I suspect the internal storage is quite small.

11. Preston wasn’t kidding about lightning fast startup and blazing fast NUC. Auto NUC is almost silent and so fast I see no reason to disable it. It will auto NUC every 30 minutes and every time the sensor temp changes more than 1 degree Celsius. You can also do manual shuttered NUC and manual non-shuttered NUC with different length presses on the NUC button.

12. It has a nice standby mode that turns everything off and flashes the word “Standby” on the screen every 3 sec. Return from standby is instant. No indication of how long it can sit in standby on a set of batteries.

13. The OLED screen is not B&W, it’s a color display. They don’t use the capability much but you can turn the reticle red, the ROI indicators flash blue when changed, the battery indicator and storage indicator have color coding, etc. Makes me wish they had at least included a “red hot” or “outdoor alert” palette on the civilian units, though I understand that may not have been a military priority.

Last edited:
Yes that is a nice feature. It has 2x and 4x digital zoom. Honestly the IQ is good enough that I don’t think many people will ever use the digital zoom other than by accident. It’s easier to just mag up the day optic.

Whoa... Conqueror got one before Horta?

Mine comes next week. I guess I've waited this long, a few more days won't kill me.

edited to fix my device's "auto correct"...

Last edited:
5x, 10x, and 15x. Targets at 100 yards with approx 2moa circles. These are NOT thermal targets, just paper targets, so hard to say exactly the diameter of the light circles. It is usable to 20x easily and even at 27x on the ZCO I could tolerate the pixelation. Will get pics out to 1000 yards tomorrow.

Remember these are handheld iPhone photos through a scope of another screen. Images look even better in person.

FBB11E4E-9236-459A-8A03-5804F7125E70.jpeg

3A96E7B2-2F16-491F-964E-42A081C9F90D.jpeg

A5A50D98-8334-44FC-94F2-DEC75420CDC1.jpeg

Had a chance to get out and do some calling last night with the new XELR. The image quality on this thing is unreal. I was able to basically turn it on before each set and then never really touch the unit unless I wanted to fine tune the focus at longer distances. I ran the energizer lithium batteries and probably had it on a total of 3 hours and the battery meter barely dropped at all. The longest shot last night was 318 yards, but it felt like a chip shot with this unit. This is my first clip on and it definitely doesn't disappoint. I am currently running a NF NX8 4-32x behind it, but it would be beneficial at times to have a little lower base mag to give full view of the screen. However, having 4x on the low end last night didn't cause any issues. I received my unit Friday afternoon, and have only been able to test it on steel out to 400 yards so far. There was zero POI shift at each range out to 400 that I tried, so I don't expect it to be an issue at further distances.

Other initial impressions:

When I pulled it out of the box, it did seem a little bigger than I was expecting. However, once I put it on my gun its not bad at all. And to be honest, it really isn't as heavy as it looks.

The menu is really simple and took no time at all to get used to. Buttons are laid out in a way that you can easily operate everything in the dark.

If I can get the ARD cover, I will probably do away with the lens cover completely because it does kind of rattle while carrying it when its not covering the lens.

The humidity was pretty high here last night, but the unit still gave plenty of contrast without manually adjusting any settings.

Though it was heavily pixelated I was able to still shoot my 12" plate at 400 yards on 32x.

Well F me, I should have waited for the ELR over my LR it sounds like! Might just have to wait and get another!

Had a chance to get out and do some calling last night with the new XELR. The image quality on this thing is unreal. I was able to basically turn it on before each set and then never really touch the unit unless I wanted to fine tune the focus at longer distances. I ran the energizer lithium batteries and probably had it on a total of 3 hours and the battery meter barely dropped at all. The longest shot last night was 318 yards, but it felt like a chip shot with this unit. This is my first clip on and it definitely doesn't disappoint. I am currently running a NF NX8 4-32x behind it, but it would be beneficial at times to have a little lower base mag to give full view of the screen. However, having 4x on the low end last night didn't cause any issues. I received my unit Friday afternoon, and have only been able to test it on steel out to 400 yards so far. There was zero POI shift at each range out to 400 that I tried, so I don't expect it to be an issue at further distances.

Other initial impressions:

When I pulled it out of the box, it did seem a little bigger than I was expecting. However, once I put it on my gun its not bad at all. And to be honest, it really isn't as heavy as it looks.

The menu is really simple and took no time at all to get used to. Buttons are laid out in a way that you can easily operate everything in the dark.

If I can get the ARD cover, I will probably do away with the lens cover completely because it does kind of rattle while carrying it when its not covering the lens.

The humidity was pretty high here last night, but the unit still gave plenty of contrast without manually adjusting any settings.

Though it was heavily pixelated I was able to still shoot my 12" plate at 400 yards on 32x.

Nice dogs. Nice report. The lens cover is the only nitpick I have other than maybe it usually takes me forever to get the mount on the rail. I ran my mid-ranger last night ISO mice in the front pasture and the lens cover obstructs some buttons when flipped over, and makes a click sound against the focus ring when flipped under. I will probably search for a solution on that. Other than that, coming from an LWTS-LR I HEAVILY prefer this unit. Just so easy to navigate through the menu systems, get a clean image, NUC, and put on standby without any fumbling. Power up from standby is super fast as well which I love.

Played with mine out to 1k today, but I stupidly didn’t bring the lens hoods so I couldn’t actually shoot with it due to severe light intrusion. I will post the pics from the unit once I figure out how to use the data cable. It was easily visualizing plates out to 8-900yds and maybe further but I will have to look at the saved images to check. Overall deeply impressed with the ELR. Only thing I plan to change right now is to figure out some way to put a tiny amount of grease on the back of the QD lever, it seems to have excessive friction there which impedes smooth attachment and removal.

5C18668C-521C-48A1-A761-BC5FC42355F9.jpeg

Played with mine out to 1k today, but I stupidly didn’t bring the lens hoods so I couldn’t actually shoot with it due to severe light intrusion. I will post the pics from the unit once I figure out how to use the data cable. It was easily visualizing plates out to 8-900yds and maybe further but I will have to look at the saved images to check. Overall deeply impressed with the ELR. Only thing I plan to change right now is to figure out some way to put a tiny amount of grease on the back of the QD lever, it seems to have excessive friction there which impedes smooth attachment and removal.

View attachment 7963735

I applied some grease and it helped a fair bit. Still not as smooth as a RRS clamp but decent.

FYI your bolt handle is on the wrong side of the gun 😜

OK, so, Windows does not recognize the device when connected by the data cable. The manual mentions some software, not sure if that is a driver or a real piece of software with a UI. I reached out to Eotech and the rep is snooping around. I also sent an email to Theon but I'll be surprised if they even reply to me. @DownRangeThermal do you have any leads on the required drivers/software for these? I have some sweet images from Altus but I don't wanna post iPhone pics of them because they don't do the device justice.

OK, so, Windows does not recognize the device when connected by the data cable. The manual mentions some software, not sure if that is a driver or a real piece of software with a UI. I reached out to Eotech and the rep is snooping around. I also sent an email to Theon but I'll be surprised if they even reply to me. @DownRangeThermal do you have any leads on the required drivers/software for these? I have some sweet images from Altus but I don't wanna post iPhone pics of them because they don't do the device justice.
Have a guy checking.

View attachment 7963735
I knew I recognized those tables.

I am shocked, the head of US Operations for Theon emailed me back in a few hours and is working on getting me the software. If I can get it working I will send the file to Dan if he wants it for distribution.

In the meantime here's a potato photo. The red arrow is on a ~1moa swinger at 940 yards. Day optic at 6x. Trees are at 1k or more.

Interestingly I have found that white-hot mode gives better scene detail on this unit. With others I have usually found black-hot to be the more "realistic" scene.

PkdNJVJ.jpg

Picking up an unheated 1moa plate at that range is pretty impressive.

I'm pretty sure the Tig I used to have, and the 100mm Apollo I have now, wouldn't have been able to see it.

My ELR comes tomorrow. Not soon enough!

Picking up an unheated 1moa plate at that range is pretty impressive.

I'm pretty sure the Tig I used to have, and the 100mm Apollo I have now, wouldn't have been able to see it.

My ELR comes tomorrow. Not soon enough!
There's no chance my Tig would see it. It's a good unit for 200yds and in but I've taken it on a spotter to 600yds and it was hard to pick out full-size people walking around.

Reactions: PowPowHawg
I have to compliment the folks at DRT here. Mine was waiting for me to get home Thursday and I immediately had 2 or 3 questions. (What in the world do you mean don't use in bright light? Uuuuuuuugh!!!) So I checked the thread here and my questions were answered without having to call anyone. The wait time was longer than we were told but they tried to help by adding the remote even though the delay wasn't really on them. Also, the device is pretty awesome. I spotted a rabbit in the field at 225 yards, no problem knowing what it was.I saw sparrows standing on the metal T fence posts during the day at 225 yards. I saw sand cranes heads in the tall grass at 200 yds. These things are hard for me to pick out in daylight with binoculars and certainly not at night with my NODs. The range behind my house is not very long but my 300 black out with subs was on POA to POI at 200 yards. I'm not very experienced with thermal but this thing is awesome.

I am a bit blue that it doesn't work well as a stand alone viewer. I have to be honest and say that feature was a selling point to me. If I'm wrong here someone please tell me how to use it thus.

Thx, JoeZ

Performance is nothing short of awesome. I detect single strands of barbed wire on a fence at 650yards. When I get the quad back from service tomorrow we will get some shooting at distance.
I agree. Wow just WOW! Tossed on a DT 6 creed tonight and sent one at 100. Worked so well I held .8 and sent the next two at 300… This was the outcome. Minute of dog all day! They’ll feel grave danger all winter/spring…

Attachments

• 579C39FA-8602-4A19-AB9D-636E99C1FB66.jpeg
    579C39FA-8602-4A19-AB9D-636E99C1FB66.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 64EF377C-86FB-42C9-B4E0-547EE3F0ACDF.jpeg
    64EF377C-86FB-42C9-B4E0-547EE3F0ACDF.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The image is phenomenal.

I haven't had time do so anything but play with it off my front porch yet, but I've been able to observe cattle at distances from 100 to ~1000 yards, including cattle 100-200 yards behind a distant treeline and a dillo at 99 yards. I was able to get an instant PID on all of them.
No watching for some time to *be sure*, it was immediately obvious.

I also love the fast, easily changed, image settings.
I have an old Apollo100 and it can take several minutes accessing the menu and find tuning the image.

The digital crosshairs are odd to me as the manual says repeatedly that they're not intended for stand alone use, but it's adjustable for zero.

I'm running a Revic 4.5-28 smart scope and a Radius. I've found that I can enable the crosshairs and zero them to my day scope reticle. Then when I dial for a target at range i still have a reference to my 100 yard zero and where the Radius will be aiming which is really nice.

My only complaints so far are the "sub optimal" mount which.As Conqueror said is hard to step down to after the Eratec mount on the Tig, and the fact that the ELR doesn't seem to remember settings after a restart.

i consider both of these VERY minor complaints.

I hope to shoot some groups tomorrow morning to check for POI shift.

I also want to say that Preston (@SkyScrapin) of SOK provided the best customer support I've ever experienced . He went well beyond what I would have expected.

Working on a slip fit cap with lanyard hole to replace the poorly thought out objective cap. So far, that’s really the only issue I can find.

Reactions: Bri0242
Until I come up with a better solution, here's a fix for the cap issue. Push the rubber retainers back through the hole with a 3/16 punch.. There are reasonably though, but go easy. Split rings in the holes and the retainers fit the mini SF carabiners perfectly. I've got some smaller rings around here somewhere, but these will do. Now you can disconnect one side and hang it from the other or just pull it and pocket it.

IMG_0684.JPG

Until I come up with a better solution, here's a fix for the cap issue. Push the rubber retainers back through the hole with a 3/16 punch.. There are reasonably though, but go easy. Split rings in the holes and the retainers fit the mini SF carabiners perfectly. I've got some smaller rings around here somewhere, but these will do. Now you can disconnect one side and hang it from the other or just pull it and pocket it.

View attachment 7967267
I took the ring with the fins off for now. Unless I come up with a better idea, I'll probably just trim the fins flush with the back of the ring leaving just a nub sticking up.

Reactions: JoeZ
The OD of the objective bell is 87.04mm or 3.427” according to my calipers. There are a number of 87mm slip-fit lens caps available online. I don’t like the caps rattling around on lanyards so I may just get a slip-fit that I stuff in a pocket or something. Or maybe we can all convince @derek1ee to make us some like the ones he did for the PVS-30. https://dotechne.com/objective-lens-cover-an-pvs-30/