• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision EOTECH CLIP ON THERMALS ( Full details)

Specs don’t come close to telling the story about image quality.

Super hogster blows away most 320 core scopes with similar “specs”.

BAE core units (generally) out perform other 640 units with similar specs.

Etc, etc, etc.

There’s just far too much going on in the brains of these things to boil it down to specs. They are a good starting point, but 16% is WELL within the margin of error when all is said and done.

It didn't go unnoticed or unremarked on in the in-depth analysis.

Oh 👋

20220214_170710.jpg

Some comparison images between the high mag capabilities of X-elr and UTCxii. I'm going to keep comparing them over the next week. Please keep in mind these images are taken with a cell phone. The cell phone always wants to focus on the screen pixels and overexpose the image. I'll get back out to this spot and measure distance to the pictured house. This was purely for comparison sake. The utcxii has been the benchmark for long-wave clip on devices and I feel so far the X-elr hangs with it very well image wise, especially above 10x. Will shoot with the Xelr this weekend and report back. While it is bigger and heavier than the UTC, its 50 cal recoil ratings, 10 yr warranty and standard height are really nice. Great to have an option with factory support too. My phone turned the image a little more brown than it appears to naked eye. My daytime pics were blueish like utc. The dark section on upper 1/3 of screen is the IFS HUD from the steiner 2.9-20x50.

A few things I've noticed so far that I really like...
1. Lightning fast start up. like under 2 seconds and ready.
2. Silent auto NUC and so fast is barely noticeable.
3. Menu icons can be configured for mag range. At smallest config it is visible to 12x.
4. Battery run time has been outstanding so far.

20220215_212923 (002).jpg
20220215_213855 (002).jpg
20220215_212957 (002).jpg
20220215_213946 (002).jpg
20220215_213017 (002).jpg
20220215_214145 (002).jpg

20220215_120035 (002).jpg

Last edited:
Wow!

LR vs xELR on 3x and 10-12x @ 700yds is the comparison I would love to see.

Think long range for coyotes. I'd take the wider field of view over the additional range if I could push the LR into the 600+yd territory on a yote.

I'm going to spend some money on one of these units either way.

LR vs xELR on 3x and 10-12x @ 700yds is the comparison I would love to see.

Think long range for coyotes. I'd take the wider field of view over the additional range if I could push the LR into the 600+yd territory on a yote.

I'm going to spend some money on one of these units either way.
I'll do it. Don't have a LR here currently. I remember the LR capping at about 8x for coyote vs doe pixelation.

I find the xELR is more sensitive and maintains a more "crispy" image at distance with increasing magnification from those photos. How does it compare to the IWS-LR?

Youtube video image is impressive if those Moomoo’s are really around 500yds… Get me into one before @TheHorta gets into his piggy bank and Hoards more of the XELR’s than he can physically use! Limiting my access to them…..

Youtube video image is impressive if those Moomoo’s are really around 500yds… Get me into one before @TheHorta gets into his piggy bank and Hoards more of the XELR’s than he can physically use! Limiting my access to them…..
They really were just shy of 500 yards (495 yards). That's my video :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fyMoKPfXk9A

I met up with Dan this past weekend to get hands on experience with the XELR he has in hand. My impressions below.

• The XELR image is so close to the UTCxii that I could not discern image differences under 10x running a Vortex Gen3 1-10. They are affectively the same with only difference being display pixel orientation. While the UTCxii has blocky pixels that don't seem to have gaps between them, they are noticeable (as seen in the video); the XELR has vertical pixels.
  • Looking at the XELR through a Steiner with a top end of 28x, I was able to differentiate an IPSC steel plate, head from torso at 860 yards. I was testing to see if the image would wash out -- it didn't. It's true that the XELR handles top end magnification much better than the UTCxii. The UTCxii gets choppy comparatively.
  • We PID' deer at around 1100 yards (between 1000 yard and 1273 yard berm) with both the UTCxii and the XELR. I would expect this from a UTCxii competitor.
  • POA/POI was right where it was supposed to be testing at 100 yards with and without the clip-on.
  • The eye-piece is really well designed. It does not need to be in perfect alignment with your day-optic (can be canted), though I would always recommend getting them as closely aligned as possible.
  • The XELR is sturdy, and you can tell when holding the thing. It felt like I was holding onto a PVS-30 from a weight perspective, though it's shorter. This would be the only negative, but given that 95% of people shoot off tripods, it's a non-issue.
  • The focus ring is nice and easy to grab onto, but can be removed if you should so chose. When focusing, it turns the entire objective piece, not just a single ring on the housing. If you wanted to remove the focus fins, you could still grab ahold of it and focus it easily. I plan on running the focus ring as it comes from the factory.
  • The menu is intuitive, and hardly any learning curve.
  • The contrast adjustment is a sliding bar and easy to manipulate.
  • The menu can be pulled closer to center so that when you're up in the higher magnification range (around 10-12x), you can still manipulate settings without zooming out on your day optic. It can also be pushed further out so you have a more complete field of view.
  • You can focus the thermal to prioritize specific portions of your view such as center, bottom, top, left, right. We had it set to center of display, but if you wanted to use a 30-30 and hold over 20 mils at 600 yards, you probably want to focus it on the bottom 2/3s of the display so that the image doesn't flash when pointed at the sky. Definitely an awesome feature.
  • Dan was testing it's capability at range to insure his day-time POA was the same when the clip-on was installed. He dialed 6 mils on his 300NM rifle, and went for back to back impacts at 1273 yards. If there were going to be an issue with POA/POI movement, it would have shown at this range -- it performed flawlessly.
  • If you're planning on running a Raptar, you will want a taller mount. The XELR might block lower Raptar mounts due to its height.
  • The shuttered NUC is unnoticeable. I may have seen it once, but I'm speculating. I didn't notice it nor hear it. The only way I heard it was when manually NUC'ing. I will run it in auto-shuttered NUC mode.
Combining capability, image quality at range, upgraded features from the UTCxii, and 10 years of state side support through EOTECH, it's a huge win for the long range thermal hunter.

If I think of more, I'll add to this post.

Preston

Yeah, I looked in YT for SOK channel. I may become subscriber #24. :p

Is there any information about dealers in Europe?
Not that I know of, but I don't know much.

But I speculate that if any of them are available in Europe, the demand in the Ukraine for them is strong right about now. :rolleyes:

The LR compared to the Yoter-C would be interesting, I know one is a tool and the other is a toy. But them seem very similar for the yoter c being half the price. I am starting to think the Steiner C35 is more of a concept than an actual product at this point.

The LR compared to the Yoter-C would be interesting, I know one is a tool and the other is a toy. But them seem very similar for the yoter c being half the price. I am starting to think the Steiner C35 is more of a concept than an actual product at this point.
They're nearly identical on paper. 500yds is about the longest shot I believe I could reasonably make on a coyote with the Yoter-C based strictly on image quality. 450 is the longest I've achieved. I'll be very disappointed if the LR isn't better than that in the real world along with less zero shift since it's coliminated and had all around more reliable operation.

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
About the SOK video, it seems as their performance is on-par, with the Theon screen being cleaner…
Idk, guess we’ll wait for some fashionable member to get his horting grubby fingers on one and then sending it and more filthy gear to someone else to make the final judgement…

My assumption is the Razor 1-10 is perfect for the LR.
I'll throw this out there since they compare so close "on paper".

6-8x is about the best image for PID on the Yoter and going to 2x digital zoom helps also.

But for 300+ yd shots I find myself cranking my NX8 2.5-20 up to 12-14x. The image isn't as nice, but the reticle is easier to use. I was scoping a deer at 600yds and using 18x wasn't out of the question.

In my limited experience, I found the NX8 works much better with the Yoter than the G3 1-10 did. The adjustable focus lets me run higher magnifications with the NX8 before the pixels blur together. I kept the G3 though and plan on trying them both with whichever Theon I end up with.

Damn this thread trying to nudge me into buying my long awaited first thermal...

Reactions: stefan73
I had already talked myself into an Xelr, then I talked to Preston yesterday and now I 'm sold. I'm still kind of a poors so don't tell my wife... She knows where I sleep at night. Now I'm waiting for more videos.