• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eotech issue

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
I recently purchased a new Eotech EXPS 3. I put it on my SBR'd 556. After about 50 rounds I have had issues where the red dot spontaneously shuts off. I changed the battery, but i doubt that is the problem, since the Eotech powers up fairly quickly when I hit the on button. The bright/dimming function works well and the red dot is normal. The problem occurs about every three fired rounds. Do I have a loose connection and need to send this in to Eotech for an eval?

If the new battery doesn’t work, contact them.

See the 4th and 5th bullet point from the EXPS3 owner’s manual…

Battery
• One initially supplied (1) CR123 Lithium battery powers the EXPS3
• The HWS® is designed to maintain constant brightness at a particular setting as
the battery drains down The reticle brightness will not fade as the battery runs
down, but rather, shut down abruptly
• The first indication of the battery draining is the reticle blinking when the unit is
turned on (see Electronic Features, page 16)
• Another indication of a low battery is the reticle pattern blinking off and on during
recoil With high recoil guns, this can occur before the battery check indicates low
battery condition
• If the reticle pattern blinks off and on during recoil or turns off suddenly, replace

the battery

If the new battery doesn’t work, contact them.

See the 4th and 5th bullet point from the EXPS3 owner’s manual…

Battery
• One initially supplied (1) CR123 Lithium battery powers the EXPS3
• The HWS® is designed to maintain constant brightness at a particular setting as
the battery drains down The reticle brightness will not fade as the battery runs
down, but rather, shut down abruptly
• The first indication of the battery draining is the reticle blinking when the unit is
turned on (see Electronic Features, page 16)
• Another indication of a low battery is the reticle pattern blinking off and on during
recoil With high recoil guns, this can occur before the battery check indicates low
battery condition
• If the reticle pattern blinks off and on during recoil or turns off suddenly, replace

the battery
Thanks!

Hopefully you bought this thing from a legit dealer and didn’t get a counterfeit? Just asking because it happens a lot.

I’ve had issues in the past with quality control. Ended up collecting dust. That being said I heard that they did recall some models. I would check with eotech to see if your unit is on the list.