• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EOTech XPS 3 Failure.

DocUSMCRetired

Applied Ballistics
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Texas
www.appliedballisticsllc.com
I was shooting some clays this past weekend, and I have been using an aimpoint on the Benelli M4 for some time. I decided to switch the to EOTech XPS3, thinking maybe it would improve my sight in time. I sighted it in using slugs, 5 of them at 30M. Then I fired 10 00Buck rounds through it. Then we went on to launching clays. I was trading off the weapon with my neighbor going 5 rounds at a time. Now to put in perspective the Aimpoint Pro has been on it for a while now. Well over 2000 Rounds. The EOTech however failed on around the 20th round. I was hoping to improve my times, or at least get a feel for if the open sight would have been a better choice. However It didn't even make it through one 25 round box of shells. Just thought I would share this, as I am highly disappointed in that it wasn't dropped, or mishandled. Tried changing out the batteries, as well as other trouble shooting options. The sight went dead after about 35 rounds in total. I have already taken it back for a refund, and will try this again on another date, hopefully with better success.

Edit I should have noted - It didn't survive 20 rounds hitting clays. It did survive to about 32-35 rounds. I was up on my turn to shoot clays again and noticed it wouldn't cycle on, off, replacing the battery did nothing. It was dead.

Last edited:
It happens to even the best manufacturer

Apparently.
My eotech exps2 has been dropped on gravel, dirt, carpet, banged into trees & it won't quit. I've done everything but try to break it.
But it is electronic, and anything electrical can fail.

Op.. Don't let this discourage you from buying another eotech.
You got the one out of 1,000 that failed. And IMO it is faster than an aim point.

I had a XPS 2 and I beat the shit out of it. When I broke the quick release eotech sent me a shipping label and work order. I received it 10 days later fixed for free. I also carried one in Iraq for a total of 4 years and no problems. Sounds like you just got a crap one.

as Joe stated, don't give up on Eotech from an unusual error, I had my new LMT MRP toss an ejector at 6 rounds from new, suppressed, prior to a meeting………..it put me in a spot, but IT happens even to the most respected.

Although, if their CS or the retailers CS blows chunks when that stuff happens, its justified to move on IMO

The store swapped it out no questions asked. I shoot about 200 clays a month, so I will be at it again in a couple of weeks. I actually had an eotech in Iraq as well, all be it not for long. As we went to the ACOGs two months after that. So I was all for it, just disappointed that it happened. It always happens to me btw lol. I will be giving it another go round next month. I am hoping to see an improvement. I will be posting if I get a faster reaction time. I use a competition electronics pocket pro II from time to time to check and see how I am holding up. I suffered a pretty sever TBI (rated 50% for that alone by the VA) so it helps me track how I am doing personally. But I will do a reaction time 10 clays in a row comparison. I was just really disappointed that it happened, I was hoping for some success.