• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Episode 103 non dominant eye shooting

ShortShooter1908

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2018
Central Ohio
Took your advice and and spent my dryfire time today working non-dominant eye/ support side. It's been a long time since I practiced that. I was having my dominant eye superimpose non magnified information right in the center of my crosshair. If I closed my dominant eye quickly I could get a good sight picture for a while. I could also consciously try to burn through my dominant eye information and I could but it was by no means easy. Is this just like training a muscle where more reps make it second nature or are there tricks to get your eyes to key off the crosshair? I could only do about 20 minutes and my eye actually feels very tired.

Reactions: pga43
You just need more reps to build up muscle memory and stamina.

As to the podcast in general, I think @Lowlight nailed it with the need for a universal adjustable butt plate. I (ironically) put an AI one on my AT a month or so ago, and can say, having the butt pad fit properly into the shoulder pocket has made a huge difference in being comfortable behind the rifle. And being comfortable has improved consistency of impacts. The KRG one is nice (put one on a Bravo chassis), but doesn't allow up/down movement (hint @Massoud ), but I'd think they could come up with something to set an open standard. I really like their wheel adjustment setup, requiring no tools.

You just need more reps to build up muscle memory and stamina.

As to the podcast in general, I think @Lowlight nailed it with the need for a universal adjustable butt plate. I (ironically) put an AI one on my AT a month or so ago, and can say, having the butt pad fit properly into the shoulder pocket has made a huge difference in being comfortable behind the rifle. And being comfortable has improved consistency of impacts. The KRG one is nice (put one on a Bravo chassis), but doesn't allow up/down movement (hint @Massoud ), but I'd think they could come up with something to set an open standard. I really like their wheel adjustment setup, requiring no tools.
Not having an adjustable butt pad I am curious about how if the rifle is set up for the strong side shoulder pocket how awkward it is on support side? Obviously it can be trained around but it would in my mind be pretty uncomfortable.

It will be awkward on support side, but that is why we train. Also, when you think about it, how many shots are taken weak side, versus strong side? If a properly fitted buttstock increases hits on strong side, and the vast majority of shots are taken from strong side...

It will be awkward on support side, but that is why we train. Also, when you think about it, how many shots are taken weak side, versus strong side? If a properly fitted buttstock increases hits on strong side, and the vast majority of shots are taken from strong side...
Thanks. I absolutely get why we set up a rifle the way we do. I think Frank's analogy of a slab of dead meat behind the rifle is a great one. If that slab of meat is pushing thing one way it will. If you're driving the rifle with your muscles that tension is not the same and we all know what happens when things aren't the same.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Hey Frank @Lowlight , I don't remember you ever mentioning how "heavy" you recommend the head to be on the stock, with the cheek weld.

Do you use light pressure and just use the contact with the stock as a reference point? Do you use firm pressure, similar to what is done with the grip? Or, is the head "heavy" on the stock, giving the stock some extra weight to marry the cheek and stock together as much as possible during recoil?

Can you give us your answer and your philosphy behind it? Thanks.

Training the dominant eye to take a backseat is all about practice. I worked very hard with it to make it natural.

Once you reach the proper point in that practice it becomes second nature. Now the only time I struggle is if I am tired and not wearing prescription glasses.

Is anyone aware of a way to train the eye without being behind a scope? I don't have a great way to get reps in on a consistent basis.