• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Equipment advice....

AirGunShawn

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
I'm new to the .22 lr. games and need advice on equipment. To make it simple I would like to tell you what I have and with luck
you guy's n gals can help fill in the blanks for anything else that I should have. That means from mat and range bag to calculators.
Even some in ear plugs would be best. And would someone please tell me why guy's wrap their suppressors in cloth.

At this point I will likely just be shooting long distance off a bench or on my belly. I would like to have equipment that can grow into the next venue that may be available that I am not even aware of yet. BTW... please feel free to talk down to me as I really don't know the acronyms yet.

My gun is a V22 and my scope is a Trijicon 5 - 50 x 56 MOA. I just got both about June first. I just ordered a Atlas Gen2 CAL bipod today. I bought targets and a TISS light system for targets out past 200 yards. And I have some SK red, yellow and some Midas + that the V22 seems to like. As soon as a weight set comes in, the Vudoo will be nearly 18 pounds. She is a fatty. Last and least I have a Pelican travel vault gun case for my girl. I also have lots of time to practice and read.

thanks so much
Shawn

Attachments

• DSC09941.JPG
    DSC09941.JPG
    463.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC09931.JPG
    DSC09931.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Wrap suppressors in cloth for heat mirage, although I personally don’t know how hot suppressors get on 22lr
I would love a suppressor just to keep my dogs happy. As soon as they see my guns, they start barking.
Something that would quite it down by at least 40db. would be great. Any thoughts

I would love a suppressor just to keep my dogs happy. As soon as they see my guns, they start barking.
Something that would quite it down by at least 40db. would be great. Any thoughts

The thunderbeast 22 takedown is an awesome little 22 suppressor. I'm sure there are other good ones as well that's just the only one I have experience with.

Reactions: Patriots1884
The thunderbeast 22 takedown is an awesome little 22 suppressor. I'm sure there are other good ones as well that's just the only one I have experience with.
It looks like I have no choice but to start the process of getting a suppressor. In your opinion, the trust is the way to go??

It looks like I have no choice but to start the process of getting a suppressor. In your opinion, the trust is the way to go??

I have a trust for my silencers. Mostly because the store I bought my first one from advised me into it. It’s nice if you have a wife or other family members that might use them as well.

I have a trust for my silencers. Mostly because the store I bought my first one from advised me into it. It’s nice if you have a wife or other family members that might use them as well.
[/QUOTE

How long was your wait time? Did the store you bought it from do the paperwork? do you recall the bottom line cost of your
Thunderbeast package? I have heard the report from a silenced .22 and it is very pleasant.

Shawn

Attachments

• DSC09800.JPG
    DSC09800.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 37

My most recent wait time was in the 9-10 months range.

The store I used had a silencershop kiosk that made things pretty simple and actually scanned fingerprints right there. If I'm remembering correctly I think I purchased a generic silencer trust from them through silencershop. Once I had it filled out and notorized the actual waiting began.

My thunderbeast cans are actually ultra 7 models and not the 22 takedown. Mine were around $1000 each if I recall, plus each requires it's own $250 tax stamp.

There is also a form 4 wait time thread here on SH that has a lot more recent info from people and the wait times they're experiencing right now.

T.I.S.S. I was able to set up my Target Impact Signal System this afternoon and this is what I told Bill.

" I had two concerns about the system. One being that I will only be shooting it with a .22 lr and shooting it in bright sunlight. "

" I bought 1/4" steel plates for 200 yards and beyond. I wanted to give the sensor a fighting chance and not overwhelm it with the shear mass of the target. "

" So at 200 yards with a ten inch diameter target, your system worked great. The target box had no problem sensing a hit
from the .22 lr. "

I can hear most of the hits from 200 yards but the light system registers all of the hits. It is gratifying to get instant feedback be it good or bad. I paint my targets a bright yellow but after many hits you have to hear the hit. I would not be able to hear the hit if I didn't have electronic ear protection.

The photo below shows the target box and cable. It is about 4 1/2" long with the cable installed. I would adise against straining the cable much more than shown. It hides behind a 5 inch target with ease. Bill does not have a 90 degree
connector at this time. I will get some photos on Friday to show why I mounted the target box upside down.
For now just know that the box and cable are totally protected.

The target box is held in place with Dual Lock made by 3M. It is like super Velcro.... You can buy it at McMaster Carr. Do a search for 94935K17 and it will come up. Bill also sells it but I happen to use the stuff all over. It is really nice stuff.

Bill also sells a strobe mounting rod. If your targets are five feet off the ground like mine, I would just buy it.
At 50 power on my scope, I don't have much FOV.

I bought a system III and it was 195.00 out the door when purchased direct from Bill at (949)786-4011
www.targetimpactsignal.com I think I had it in hand in two day's

Just my initial take on the TISS.

Attachments

• DSC09953.JPG
    DSC09953.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
TISS review edit.....

I just got done doing some more trials on the TISS unit this time with my Ruger PRRimfire from 200 yards.

One of my original concerns was overcoming the mass of the target and keeping the target box and it's cable out of harms
way. Yesterday I put the target box on a 10 inch diameter target that was 1/4 inch thick. As you can see, the box and cable are protected and the unit worked great.
Today I moved the target box to the back side of my target hanger and the unit worked great.

The reason that I did this test was because I wont be able to shield the target box and cable behind smaller targets
like 2 and 3 inch plates shown in the photos below.

In short, the T.I.S.S. is working out very well especially given the amount of mass / inertia that it has to overcome.

BTW.... I am using 40 grain subsonic ammo for this testing. SK red box.

Attachments

• DSC09955.JPG
    DSC09955.JPG
    475 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC09954.JPG
    DSC09954.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC09956.JPG
    DSC09956.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 25
The mail brought my Atlas CAL bipod today. I bought the BT65-LW17 and it is a Gen2. Mine has the quick release.
I paid 299.00 for her. As soon as you pick it up the quality shows through. Everything is tight and positive. If you like nice things and have the cash, buy one. I have a cheap knock off and it cost me 25.00. Could I live with the cheap one? Yes I could have. Would I buy the made in the USA Atlas bi-pod again? Yes I would ! Could I have bought a Harris bi-pod? I have two of them and I don't care for them, they just look funky. The Atlas is well thought out and well built.
I can only hope that the Atlas improves my shooting enjoyment a little.

Ive only shot 1 22 prs and a 22 silhouette match with a savage bolt and it seemed like the prs guys are way more into their gear. I seen nearly everybody there with a kestrel and although i do have one i didnt see really a use of with a 22. i may be wrong but i could tell all of my misses were shooter induced and not enviormental. We shot from 50-150 yards. Ear pro: Sordin or in ear. Mat: midway. bags: armageddon. I really dont think you will have any issues with your equipment since you are starting off with great stuff.

Ive only shot 1 22 prs and a 22 silhouette match with a savage bolt and it seemed like the prs guys are way more into their gear. I seen nearly everybody there with a kestrel and although i do have one i didnt see really a use of with a 22. i may be wrong but i could tell all of my misses were shooter induced and not enviormental. We shot from 50-150 yards. Ear pro: Sordin or in ear. Mat: midway. bags: armageddon. I really dont think you will have any issues with your equipment since you are starting off with great stuff.
My gun shop owner showed me an app. on his phone. It is a Strelok calc app. It cost 12.00 and it appears that it would be
helpful. In the past, I always had money and could afford to buy things and test them out. Now I'm on a fixed income so I would like to " Buy once & Cry once " I find that it always best to ask people what and why they use what they do.
I will look at Armageddon bags this morning. The gun, scope and bi-pod were an easy purchase because everybody raves about them. It is the smaller things that people don't say much about.

Thanks for the lead on the bags and mat.

Shawn

My gun shop owner showed me an app. on his phone. It is a Strelok calc app. It cost 12.00 and it appears that it would be
helpful. In the past, I always had money and could afford to buy things and test them out. Now I'm on a fixed income so I would like to " Buy once & Cry once " I find that it always best to ask people what and why they use what they do.
I will look at Armageddon bags this morning. The gun, scope and bi-pod were an easy purchase because everybody raves about them. It is the smaller things that people don't say much about.

Thanks for the lead on the bags and mat.

Shawn
Check out Precision Underground also. Their bags are awesome! I bought an ELR Rear Bag and it’s so stable that I mounted my scope with the rifle on the bipod and rear bag only!

Add a kestrel 5700 and a sig kilo 2400 and you’ll have you auto dopes. Set up works great.

Add a kestrel 5700 and a sig kilo 2400 and you’ll have you auto dopes. Set up works great.
I'm afraid that the Strelok app will have to do for a while. As for the Sig laser that will have to wait too.
I have bought some other guns in the past couple months and they were not cheap. 1650.0, 1150.00 and 2500.00
That is in addition to the Vudoo and all of the ancillary stuff for her. Had I known about the V22 I would have only bought the
45-70 and it's .22lr bbl. insert. I also have a BSA Martini MK III that is out getting some new stocks fitted. That will be a perfect project for rainy days like today. So you see, it all adds up fast. I also picked up a CZ 457 MTR. I would buy that one again.
Mine shoots very well in it's stock configuration. the only thing I did not like about the CZ was the bolt knob. That was fixed with a AREA 419 knob. Out of 30 shots at 50 yards she shoots well. The flier was about my 4 shot and my fault and not a cold bore.

Attachments

• DSC09765.JPG
    DSC09765.JPG
    399.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC09864.JPG
    DSC09864.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Z1.jpg
    Z1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Z4.jpg
    Z4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Z6.jpg
    Z6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC09932.JPG
    DSC09932.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC09854.JPG
    DSC09854.JPG
    407.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC09885.JPG
    DSC09885.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC09891.JPG
    DSC09891.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC09892.JPG
    DSC09892.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 26
I'm afraid that the Strelok app will have to do for a while. As for the Sig laser that will have to wait too.
I have bought some other guns in the past couple months and they were not cheap. 1650.0, 1150.00 and 2500.00
That is in addition to the Vudoo and all of the ancillary stuff for her. Had I known about the V22 I would have only bought the
45-70 and it's .22lr bbl. insert. I also have a BSA Martini MK III that is out getting some new stocks fitted. That will be a perfect project for rainy days like today. So you see, it all adds up fast. I also picked up a CZ 457 MTR. I would buy that one again.
Mine shoots very well in it's stock configuration. the only thing I did not like about the CZ was the bolt knob. That was fixed with a AREA 419 knob. Out of 30 shots at 50 yards she shoots well. The flier was about my 4 shot and my fault and not a cold bore.
Your good with the streelok free version for now, reach out here to someone in your area that will shoot with you.
Odds are they have some of this equipment you will benefit from seeing, touching, and using to help solidify what you will spend your hard earned dollars on.

This hobby spits out huge amounts of never used it slightly used equipment, benefit from our obsession and one of the next new thing.

Your good with the streelok free version for now, reach out here to someone in your area that will shoot with you.
Odds are they have some of this equipment you will benefit from seeing, touching, and using to help solidify what you will spend your hard earned dollars on.

This hobby spits out huge amounts of never used it slightly used equipment, benefit from our obsession and one of the next new thing.
I bought the Strelok Pro app. last night. This morning I have been trying to figure it out. Now that the rain has stopped, It is time to go shoot while I can.

My 200 yard course is nearly complete. That is about as much as I can go in my side yard. One thing I noticed about my new Atlas is the feet. They are a sticky rubber compound. I hope that helps them stay put on my flimsy plastic table.

I live in Paris Tn. and the median income is 25K and that is reflected in the equipment people are able to purchased.
People see my 2200.00 dollar pellet rifle and think I'm insane. Since the closest place to compete with my pellet rifle is 6 hours away, I will likely sell her. It is not much fun shooting alone. She is a FWB P-70 high power. By now you can tell I like shinny new things.

Your absolutely correct about touching equipment, once it is in my hands I can tell within a couple minutes if I like it or not.

Thank you for your advice.

Attachments

• DSC09666.JPG
    DSC09666.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: seansmd
After the doctors, I am going to the Silencer Shop. I found couple cans that will reduce the report by 41db.
Wailing 9 months just seems crazy to me.

I'm new to the .22 lr. games and need advice on equipment. To make it simple I would like to tell you what I have and with luck
you guy's n gals can help fill in the blanks for anything else that I should have. That means from mat and range bag to calculators.
Even some in ear plugs would be best. And would someone please tell me why guy's wrap their suppressors in cloth.

At this point I will likely just be shooting long distance off a bench or on my belly. I would like to have equipment that can grow into the next venue that may be available that I am not even aware of yet. BTW... please feel free to talk down to me as I really don't know the acronyms yet.

My gun is a V22 and my scope is a Trijicon 5 - 50 x 56 MOA. I just got both about June first. I just ordered a Atlas Gen2 CAL bipod today. I bought targets and a TISS light system for targets out past 200 yards. And I have some SK red, yellow and some Midas + that the V22 seems to like. As soon as a weight set comes in, the Vudoo will be nearly 18 pounds. She is a fatty. Last and least I have a Pelican travel vault gun case for my girl. I also have lots of time to practice and read.

thanks so much
Shawn
Sweet !