• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Equipment Suggestions

jlorensen

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2020
Kansas City
Good Morning,

I've been reloading from a "weekend warrior" standpoint for about 25 yrs. I have mostly entry level or hand-me-down equipment, and while it gets the job done, my kids now shoot, so I'm looking for a few suggestions on ways to increase production. I have a Rock Chucker that I like, but am curious about better alternatives to charging powders and prepping brass. I've been thinking about one of the "case prep centers" and either an electric or manual powder measure.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Btw..... I'd estimate 300-400 rnds/month between the 3 of us (assuming we can start finding components again :confused:)

Thanks!

Make kids do the prep work.
Just cut your time in half!

What calibers?
What guns?
Same loads?

Are you weighing or throwing charges?

Reactions: jlorensen
For plinker ammo a powder measure can seriously speed up production.

I have one for pistol and one for AR ammo but one with swappable chambers could do both.

A possum hollow type trimmer is nice for trimming cases fast, I use the universe Frankfurt armory version.

I have a RCBS station just to speed up 223 production.
My bigger cartridges rarely need trimmed so I do those by hand.

Last edited:
Make kids do the prep work.
Just cut your time in half!

What calibers?
What guns?
Same loads?

Are you weighing or throwing charges?
HA.....that's a possibility!

Currently we're loading for .308, 7mm-08, and 2 different .223s. Right now I'm weighing charges and prepping everything one by one.

So options for that are vast.
To stay single stage.
1. Digital or twin digital powder dispensers if weighing charges
2. Powder throw if you want to throw them
3. Case prep trimmer set up as 1 unit is nice

Could always move up to a 550 or better depending on volume, price, time your trying to get back. If your loading pinker 223 ammo you need a progressive