• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ES/SD going bad with Supressor

Boozer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2017
Hi all-

I had a tuned .223 handload of 24.3 grains of Varget with an 80gr eldx that was running about 2855 from my 26” barrel on my bolt action. Once I got my Gemtrek Trek, I’ve noticed that the velocity really didn’t change at all, but my ES/SD went from teens/single digits, to twenties/teens. I thought maybe it just threw me a little off my velocity node, so I re-tested a few tenths up and down, and was not able to find that low ES/SD sweet spot. Accuracy is still top notch, maybe even got a little better, around 0.5” groups. I’d like to run this gun in F-T/R, and even some PRS matches for fun, but an ES of 25 adds up to quite a bit of vertical spread once you really stretch it out there. A .223 in PRS is handicapped enough as it is. ;)

What gives? Has anyone else experienced this? I guess I could do a full blown charge weight test again…

Last edited:
I experienced something similar with a .338 WM and an SAS Vengeance can, but I haven't figured out the cause of it... I'm going to keep an eye on this thread...

Have you actually tried shooting at a long distance instead of just trusting your chrono?

Chronos all have a margin of error. Targets don't.

If the target says you are good at distance then you are good at distance.

Reactions: Rthur
Sorry about that guys, I thought my browser had refreshed, and it didn't show that anyone had responded. I wasn't getting the email notifications either, Weird.

This was observed with my magneto speed V3. I did have to turn the sensitivity up once I started running the suppressor, so maybe I turned it up too high and it's getting some interferance or distortion? I didn't think about it before, but every now and again (maybe every 10ish rounds), it would register a shot something like 300fps faster than the rest, so this also leads me to believe that something glitchy is going on with it. i can try turning the sensetivity back down and retest to see if the issue persists.

i have not had much of a chance to stretch this load out much yet... will likely get a chance on Saturday, and i will report back.

I can't say that i'm an experienced enough shooter to say what the advantages are, apart from the obvious.... slight recoil reduction, and sound reduction. Probably helps me flinch less than a brake would, just due to the exaggerated report. I understand most PRS guys prefer a brake, but honestly it's just a helluva lot of fun. :)

Its your sensitivity, high sensitivity is for something like a pellet gun, a centerfire rifle just need to be on the normal setting and not too far away from the bullet.